Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for canon info on Baltimore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Looking for canon info on Baltimore

    For utterly ludricous and whimsical reasons related to a dusty five and dime store the occasional homeless person and shoplifter disappearance...
    Last edited by Baaldam; 09-16-2021, 06:51 PM.

  • #2
    As far as Vampire goes, I don't think there's much of anything. I think the Clan Novels from 20 years ago had a Ventrue named Alexander Garlotte as the Prince, but I have no knowledge of anything about his backstory, stats, plans, personality, or if he even survived the events of those books.
    The only real coverage of Baltimore or Maryland was in the Changeling sourcebook Kingdom of Willows, and it didn't say much of anything about vampires or other supernatural creatures.
    So it is kind of a blank slate to do whatever you want with, really.


    What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
      As far as Vampire goes, I don't think there's much of anything. I think the Clan Novels from 20 years ago had a Ventrue named Alexander Garlotte as the Prince, but I have no knowledge of anything about his backstory, stats, plans, personality, or if he even survived the events of those books.
      Yes, i was under the impression the city, or at least its prince, was cited a number of times in the clan novels (Ventrue, Assamite, Giovanni & Nosferatu, according to the wiki) though i know no details. That and a "blink & you miss it" citation in a VtDA book, of all places and main reason for my curiosity.

      Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
      The only real coverage of Baltimore or Maryland was in the Changeling sourcebook Kingdom of Willows, and it didn't say much of anything about vampires or other supernatural creatures.
      So it is kind of a blank slate to do whatever you want with, really.
      Not really planning to, at least for the moment, though i do have a kindred court with no clearly defined location yet to toy with... Only have to cook up reasons for a Julii (Ravnos) prince and his childer, Infitiores that kind of forgot they are not a Nosferatu brood and some Salubris masquerading as Malkavians (the real Malkavians - along with the local Tremere & Ventrue - having suffered a massive case of "burn them all" during last praxis seizure). Small things.
      Last edited by Baaldam; 09-03-2021, 10:50 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Amethyst, a Caitiff Anarch in Los Angeles by Night, comes from Baltimore. Her history examines some of the city's politics. IIRC, Amethyst was the prince's lover but got involved in some kind of tiff with him. Pretty sure she killed him after he tried to use her as a pawn.

        House of Tremere also briefly touches on the city, as you note.


        Blood and Bourbon, my New Orleans-based Vampire chronicle.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by False Epiphany View Post
          Amethyst, a Caitiff Anarch in Los Angeles by Night, comes from Baltimore. Her history examines some of the city's politics. IIRC, Amethyst was the prince's lover but got involved in some kind of tiff with him. Pretty sure she killed him after he tried to use her as a pawn.
          Goddamn, Amethyst! One of the vanishingly few decent Caitiff NPCs in the by Nights, damn shame she was pretty much forgotten by all later writers when speaking of the Free States - who needs Tara anyway....

          edit: Ohh, i had no idea Amethyst was part of the cast of the LA by Night Twitch series, nice.

          That leads into some very interesting places that could fit with the chronicle i have in mind, good, good. Guess i'll check some of the other By Night NPCs backstories, just to see if something else pops up. Thanks a lot, Epiphany.
          Last edited by Baaldam; 09-04-2021, 09:31 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Modern-day Baltimore is, unfortunately, the quintessential Sabbat city. Philly too, if only to a lesser extent.

            They fit the description of NYC in the earlier books much better than the actual city itself does nowdays.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Logothétēs View Post
              Modern-day Baltimore is, unfortunately, the quintessential Sabbat city. Philly too, if only to a lesser extent.

              They fit the description of NYC in the earlier books much better than the actual city itself does nowdays.

              Can't deny, those are some pretty scary statistics indeed for a city of its size.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Logothétēs View Post
                Modern-day Baltimore is, unfortunately, the quintessential Sabbat city. Philly too, if only to a lesser extent.

                They fit the description of NYC in the earlier books much better than the actual city itself does nowdays.
                Yeah. IIRC, Baltimore has consistently had one of the higher murder rates for a US city since at least the 1990s. If you were to ask me to pick a Sabbat signature city, be it now or back in the White Wolf days, it would've been a toss up between it and Detroit. (Detroit likely would've been the winner back in the day, just because it's closer to Chicago, with Milwaukee being the Anarch signature city.)

                (There's probably an argument to be made that, in hindsight, NYC probably should've been Camarilla dominated for much of the 90s and 00s, "contested" during the 80s and the past decade, and Sabbat run during the 70s.)


                What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

                  Yeah. IIRC, Baltimore has consistently had one of the higher murder rates for a US city since at least the 1990s. If you were to ask me to pick a Sabbat signature city, be it now or back in the White Wolf days, it would've been a toss up between it and Detroit. (Detroit likely would've been the winner back in the day, just because it's closer to Chicago, with Milwaukee being the Anarch signature city.)

                  (There's probably an argument to be made that, in hindsight, NYC probably should've been Camarilla dominated for much of the 90s and 00s, "contested" during the 80s and the past decade, and Sabbat run during the 70s.)

                  Hi, first post!

                  Baltimore does have a wildly high crime rate but so does Chicago? And look at how Gary is described in the 1e corebook.

                  Baltimore has thriving arts and food scenes. It's a major east coast port with a lot of industry. It's got possibly the premiere medical institution in the United States (which is constantly at odds with the surrounding neighborhoods). It also has an extremely entrenched and incredibly wealthy elite upper class that lives in the city and has basically run everything since forever. And almost all of its institutions have corruption issues.

                  Baltimore has high crime but Baltimore is also deeply and starkly segregated, and the city has a long history of making sure that violent crime stays in certain parts of the city. There are whole books about this.

                  Sounds like a Camarilla city to me...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Random Goblin View Post


                    Hi, first post!

                    Baltimore does have a wildly high crime rate but so does Chicago? And look at how Gary is described in the 1e corebook.

                    Baltimore has thriving arts and food scenes. It's a major east coast port with a lot of industry. It's got possibly the premiere medical institution in the United States (which is constantly at odds with the surrounding neighborhoods). It also has an extremely entrenched and incredibly wealthy elite upper class that lives in the city and has basically run everything since forever. And almost all of its institutions have corruption issues.

                    Baltimore has high crime but Baltimore is also deeply and starkly segregated, and the city has a long history of making sure that violent crime stays in certain parts of the city. There are whole books about this.

                    Sounds like a Camarilla city to me...
                    All of this is totally true. I went to college near Baltimore.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Amethyst View Post

                      All of this is totally true. I went to college near Baltimore.

                      Honestly I feel like Baltimore would be a fantastic city for a VtM Chronicle but that's probably just because I live here.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The original books placed Baltimore (Maryland and DC actually) as contested between the Sabbat and Camarilla (at least according to the IC perspective of the Sabbat). So it had a Prince but was under threat. (In contrast, Pennsylvania was shown as Sabbat controlled). Only with the Revised metaplot did Baltimore fall conclusively to the Sabbat.

                        Now simply because an area is listed as "controlled" does not mean every city and every area was 100% Sabbat or Anarch or Camarilla. Most of New York was shown as Sabbat controlled, but at the time it was still acknowledged that Manhattan was Camarilla even if the rest of NYC was Sabbat. So there is always wriggle room while being in canon. Nor is there any reason to accept the metaplot if you don't like it. Or even to obey canon. An ST can do anything as long as it makes a good game for his PCs.

                        While I do think a "failed city" and high crime rates are signatures that indicate Sabbat control, there is nothing 100% about that. Sabbat also control Canadian cities that don't fit that profile. And there is no reason why the Camarilla couldn't control a city that normally fits the Sabbat profile. That difference should probably be reflected in the kind of vampire NPCs of either sect who control the city. But any creative ST could do so and make them feel "right" even if the sect seems "wrong" for it on some other level.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
                          While I do think a "failed city" and high crime rates are signatures that indicate Sabbat control, there is nothing 100% about that. Sabbat also control Canadian cities that don't fit that profile. And there is no reason why the Camarilla couldn't control a city that normally fits the Sabbat profile. That difference should probably be reflected in the kind of vampire NPCs of either sect who control the city. But any creative ST could do so and make them feel "right" even if the sect seems "wrong" for it on some other level.
                          I guess what I am saying is that Baltimore isn't a "failed city." It works very well for the people who run it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Random Goblin View Post

                            I guess what I am saying is that Baltimore isn't a "failed city." It works very well for the people who run it.
                            There’s a story from back in the Eighties about how a girl was murdered in Baltimore after a hookup gone bad and her body was buried in the woods behind her dorm. Maybe you could use that.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X