Alternative bane for Ravnos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative bane for Ravnos

Hi. I actually don't like ravnos weaknesses in all editions, can you suggest me an alternative?
    Last edited by trueann; 11-27-2021, 03:30 AM.

That depends a lot on what you want out of them. How do you see the clan? How do you want to use them? What impact and themes do you want with the presence of a Ravnos in the Domain, in Elysium, in the party? Why exactly you don't like each version? Knowing this is important to find something that you do like.

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
    #AutismPride
    She/her pronouns

Comment

I like how Dark Age V20 did the Ravnos weakness. They let you choose either a vice or a virtue. With just this one change, you stop pigeon-holing Ravnos characters into the "nomadic reprobate" identity. Opening up a huge space for possible characters, while keeping a more core aspect of the Clan intact: that they are slaves to habits and impulses.

Sometimes these are negative habits, like stealing or lying or defacing property. Sometimes these are positive, like honesty or charity or justice. In both extremes, though, they aren't necessarily always good for the Ravnos. Having to insult everyone the Ravnos meets is inconvenient, but having to speak truthfully (much less volunteer the truth) can be a death sentence for a vampire. When the character's actions are made to trend towards certain behavior, regardless of utility, that causes problems for them.

Which is exactly what you want to see from a Clan/Bloodline weakness. Regardless of whether it's noble or vile, it's always interesting.

I also like the way it provides texture to Ravnos Clan culture. What habits drive the character matters a great deal depending on where they are and what "Jati" they belong to. Most Brahmin would insist that they are driven by an essential virtue, because they're arrogant and holier-than-thou types. But they may just as easily be driven by a vice that they hide from everyone. Multiple Dark Age Jati in Europe make a great deal more sense when virtues are an option, such as the Phaedymites. Though, again, a Ravnos Knight is much different if their nobility is enforced by a virtue, or in spite of a vice. (Not to mention some with virtues who resent being effectively railroaded on that path, without having had a say in the matter).

Comment

I like the concept of the clan in revised edition and v5, just don't feel just their weaknesses interesting and have something common with that concept and vampire legends.

Comment

Without putting it into your own words I still find it hard to have a direction for discussion. I agree with Bluecho, DAV20 did a simple but very effective job on it. And I don't think the V5 version a bad one, either. Both give reason for the Ravnos to be a clan marked by impulsive behavior and a tendency to be wanderers, but eliminate the reprobate aspect, good riddance.

If that isn't what you want, I can through some things that I'm totally not sure of what even to do with them. Maybe they have a compulsion for collections. If you have access to C20 they may have a problem related to fairies due to the use of Chimerstry. You could do worse than have each Ravnos have the Frailty of a Kith, or maybe they are haunted and hunted by the Chimeras they create with their illusions (the Illusion fades, but the Chimera persists).

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
          #AutismPride
          She/her pronouns

Comment

Have you considered the old EuroRavnos weakness where they each have a weakness for one of the seven deadly sins? Wrath, Pride, Lust, Gluttony, Sloth, Envy, and Greed.

Comment

Originally posted by Trollroot View Post
              Have you considered the old EuroRavnos weakness where they each have a weakness for one of the seven deadly sins? Wrath, Pride, Lust, Gluttony, Sloth, Envy, and Greed.
              Never saw those, but it seems actually worse than their original weakness.

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
              #AutismPride
              She/her pronouns

Comment

If you want vampire legends, rather than vice and virtue, you could take clan compulsions into the regions of vampiric folklore? Can't enter a dwelling uninvited, can't stand on consecrated ground regardless of true faith levels present, can't cross running water, obligated to stop and count certain things.

Comment

I use that they can’t cross running water under their own power.

in the lore of the Indian wing of Clan this is because of being rejected by the sacred Ganges.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Rhywbeth View Post
                    If you want vampire legends, rather than vice and virtue, you could take clan compulsions into the regions of vampiric folklore? Can't enter a dwelling uninvited, can't stand on consecrated ground regardless of true faith levels present, can't cross running water, obligated to stop and count certain things.

The "No Entering without invitation" would certainly contribute to the nomadic theming, though it is a bit of a weird weakness to play around. (I just end up thinking about weird scenes from "What we do in the Shadows" with vampires awkwardly asking to come into random places)

Comment

Thanks for all your answers, it helped a lot.

Comment

Personally I would twist it a little, because I don't like the idea of tying them as the true source of a specific, random legend. And I like the indefinite nature of their weakness, the idea of something that changes with individual, or maybe with circumstance.

One option would be for the Ravnos to have a folkloric weakness tied to the place they're in, changing over the course of a year or something. It may be the most popular expectation in the area, whatever it means, from counting rice to glittering in the light of the moon. This would keep most on the run as they try to outpace folklore, keep their enemies guessing and find out good places to be in.

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
                        #AutismPride
                        She/her pronouns

Comment

I've also toyed with the idea of making Ravnos unable to enter dwellings uninvited. Telgar, who used to post here a lot, wrote a similar alternative weakness for the Tzimisce. It could be easily adapted for the Ravnos, if desired:

Originally posted by Telgar
                          Respect for territory and hospitality is bound into the very blood of the Tzimisce. They may not ever willingly enter a mortal's home without freely given permission. If forced to enter by external means, the Fiend must roll her temporary Willpower (difficulty 8) each turn or flee by the most expedient (non-destructive) means possible. While inside a mortal home uninvited, taking any impolite or hostile act towards the residents requires a Willpower point.

Comment

I tend to file these kinds of compulsive behavior - needing invitations to enter homes, inability to cross running water, needing to count things - as Malkavian derangements. It's Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
                              I tend to file these kinds of compulsive behavior - needing invitations to enter homes, inability to cross running water, needing to count things - as Malkavian derangements. It's Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
                              Could be either or both.

If the curse is "horrible thoughts about bad things in the future keep running through my mind (50% of which may well come true), religiously obeying the restrictions of popular vampire folklore makes it easier to manage" that's a Malk. If the curse is "I am compelled to obey property laws, because" then it's a Ravnos with a more virtuous compulsion.

Comment

Working...
                              X