Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trollroot
    replied
    Have you considered the old EuroRavnos weakness where they each have a weakness for one of the seven deadly sins? Wrath, Pride, Lust, Gluttony, Sloth, Envy, and Greed.

Leave a comment:

• monteparnas
    replied
    Without putting it into your own words I still find it hard to have a direction for discussion. I agree with Bluecho, DAV20 did a simple but very effective job on it. And I don't think the V5 version a bad one, either. Both give reason for the Ravnos to be a clan marked by impulsive behavior and a tendency to be wanderers, but eliminate the reprobate aspect, good riddance.

If that isn't what you want, I can through some things that I'm totally not sure of what even to do with them. Maybe they have a compulsion for collections. If you have access to C20 they may have a problem related to fairies due to the use of Chimerstry. You could do worse than have each Ravnos have the Frailty of a Kith, or maybe they are haunted and hunted by the Chimeras they create with their illusions (the Illusion fades, but the Chimera persists).

Leave a comment:

• trueann
    replied
    I like the concept of the clan in revised edition and v5, just don't feel just their weaknesses interesting and have something common with that concept and vampire legends.

Leave a comment:

• Bluecho
    replied
    I like how Dark Age V20 did the Ravnos weakness. They let you choose either a vice or a virtue. With just this one change, you stop pigeon-holing Ravnos characters into the "nomadic reprobate" identity. Opening up a huge space for possible characters, while keeping a more core aspect of the Clan intact: that they are slaves to habits and impulses.

Sometimes these are negative habits, like stealing or lying or defacing property. Sometimes these are positive, like honesty or charity or justice. In both extremes, though, they aren't necessarily always good for the Ravnos. Having to insult everyone the Ravnos meets is inconvenient, but having to speak truthfully (much less volunteer the truth) can be a death sentence for a vampire. When the character's actions are made to trend towards certain behavior, regardless of utility, that causes problems for them.

Which is exactly what you want to see from a Clan/Bloodline weakness. Regardless of whether it's noble or vile, it's always interesting.

I also like the way it provides texture to Ravnos Clan culture. What habits drive the character matters a great deal depending on where they are and what "Jati" they belong to. Most Brahmin would insist that they are driven by an essential virtue, because they're arrogant and holier-than-thou types. But they may just as easily be driven by a vice that they hide from everyone. Multiple Dark Age Jati in Europe make a great deal more sense when virtues are an option, such as the Phaedymites. Though, again, a Ravnos Knight is much different if their nobility is enforced by a virtue, or in spite of a vice. (Not to mention some with virtues who resent being effectively railroaded on that path, without having had a say in the matter).

Leave a comment:

• monteparnas
    replied
    That depends a lot on what you want out of them. How do you see the clan? How do you want to use them? What impact and themes do you want with the presence of a Ravnos in the Domain, in Elysium, in the party? Why exactly you don't like each version? Knowing this is important to find something that you do like.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X