Alaska?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska?

So i live in as you guessed it Alaska and i want to run a VTM game here, and i was wondering if there was anything happening here kindred wise? is there any books i could buy that would tell me, like an Alaska by night book or something?

Sadly no edition of vtm, or other World of Darkness books I know of, have much information on Alaska. This comes down to the environment and population of its cities. The largest of which, Anchorage, is only about 300k strong. A low population like this makes it more likely werewolf books may have something if anything, most likely the tribe known as Wendigo.

The only thing of note is Alaska's winters are known to have long nights. So you might employ the rules used when vampires stay in the underworld for when the sun isn't active, particularlyfor then staying awake. Both v20, in the Tal'Mahe'Ra book, and v5, in Cults of the Blood Gods, have these rules.

Comment

There's never been an Alaska focused book, and I'm pretty sure 99% of the WoD material on Alaska is in the WtA books given that one of the Garou Tribes is so focused on the northern parts of North America.

Alaska is workable, but it's a pretty niche setting for vampires. The largest city in the state has a rather small population by kindred standards, and while tourism is a big deal in Alaska, it isn't as focused on destination cities like NYC, Las Vegas, or New Orleans that have a large consistent tourist population to enable a larger kindred population than the number of permanent residents might imply. Being far enough north to deal with the bouts of minimal or no night/day also puts a large pressure on vampires that want to try to endure that. So crafting a vampire setting in Alaska is going to be a fairly unique process.

The most helpful book is probably the Dark Ages book that talks about vampire life in Scandinavia, as it has the most talk about how to handle deep winter life for vampires.

Comment

I don't know about anything in VtM's Alaska, but Damnation City includes Anchorage among its two paragraph city examples. It proposes that the community is a small brood of Russian Gangrel. They can't do much in the summer, in spite of the tourists, because of the short nights. They have plenty of time during the winter, but there aren't enough people to feed more than a "handful" of kindred.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
          There's never been an Alaska focused book, and I'm pretty sure 99% of the WoD material on Alaska is in the WtA books given that one of the Garou Tribes is so focused on the northern parts of North America.
          Yeah. Even back 25 years ago, I was surprised that Rage Across Alaska wasn't a thing. It would seem to have been the perfect counterpoint to RA New York, in which there's a majority of European tribes and humans in a mostly urban/small town environment next to a sizable chunk of wilderness, verses a place almost entirely wilderness with smaller towns and a few cities, where the majority of the area is dominated by wolf-born and Native Garou.

For Vampire, its probably a scattering of loners and small groups, mostly among the towns, who probably don't have a whole lot to do with the greater Kindred politics as a whole, save maybe the largest population center or two having a Prince who nominally claims to be for one faction or another, and a few of the local groups being Anarch or Sabbat or whatever. Probably also some transient nomads who drift from place to place or come in and out with shipping traffic.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
          Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

I think the prince of Anchorage has been named in a passing reference, but nothing else has been established. Even the name of that prince doesn't pop up on a search of the White Wolf wiki. This just means you have a blank slate to do whatever you want with the location.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

Yeah. Even back 25 years ago, I was surprised that Rage Across Alaska wasn't a thing. It would seem to have been the perfect counterpoint to RA New York, in which there's a majority of European tribes and humans in a mostly urban/small town environment next to a sizable chunk of wilderness, verses a place almost entirely wilderness with smaller towns and a few cities, where the majority of the area is dominated by wolf-born and Native Garou.

For Vampire, its probably a scattering of loners and small groups, mostly among the towns, who probably don't have a whole lot to do with the greater Kindred politics as a whole, save maybe the largest population center or two having a Prince who nominally claims to be for one faction or another, and a few of the local groups being Anarch or Sabbat or whatever. Probably also some transient nomads who drift from place to place or come in and out with shipping traffic.
              The best that W:tA could manage was the Red Talons entry for Caerns: Places of Power. Their holdings are outside of a Twin Peaks-esque rural town that's haunted by Dancers and fomori. It'd need a bit of work to make the Garou of the sept compatible with actual wolf behavior/not sound like kinky sex stories, since the author was apparently unaware that wolves don't adhere to the Greek letter hierarchy in the wild.

Comment

I can’t think of any other than Caerns: Places of Power for WtA but that sounds like a great idea! I’d love to hear more about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                  I can’t think of any other than Caerns: Places of Power for WtA but that sounds like a great idea! I’d love to hear more about it.
                  As noted, it has a lot of early installment weirdness where the Red Talons are concerned. The captive wolf pack organization is probably the most blatant and jarring given how the tribe grew into being presented later on, with the lack of general bent toward ironically torturing and killing humans in twisted reflections of human religious practices being the runner up (only the Dying Cubs are into that, and they're a shadowy, tiny camp in the smallest tribe). In order to get it up to speed, you'd need to change a lot; the only things you can really take away are that there are Red Talons vaguely close to a rural town and that there are things in town other than grizzly or polar bears that making going out at night a very, very bad idea. You could also keep some or all of the characters, justifying things either way; they could have fallen some time ago and end up replaced by new cubs, or there could be a bunch of isolated near-Elders and Elders that beef up the stats of the younger ones a bit.

Comment

I imagine any Vampire campaign set in Anchorage would be a small affair, with a light contingent of Kindred serving as the permanent residents. Interspersed with the occasional transient vampire, Gangrel nomad, migrating character, or folks arriving for special purposes.

I don't know if Anchorage has the "30 days of night" thing going on, but assuming it does, games would use an irregular structure for games. Protracted periods of activity, where the PCs and NPCs are active for weeks at a time. Followed by similar periods of downtime, where all the vampires hunker down and enter what is effectively a light Torpor during the periods of constant daylight. (A similar arrangement is seen in Magical Industrial Revolution, where all the adventuring in Endon is done during "The Season", followed by months of off-"Season" downtime). Whatever is going on, the Coterie is obliged to get it done while night reigns supreme. It complicates matters in some ways, and simplifies them in others.

Combine the day-night cycle, the small population (Kindred or Kine), and Alaska's penchant for inclement weather (that can snow in areas), and you have a recipe for a very self-contained, cozy game. Or a batshit insane, claustrophobic fever dream. Whichever.

Getting Kindred characters out to Anchorage or Alaska as a whole is made easier if the Storyteller invents a good reason for licks to show up. Like a site of magical power or ancient significance, or rumors of the presence of an Elder in Torpor. That kind of thing.

Comment

Thank you guys so much, this was all very helpful.

Comment

If we go by WoD Lore: Sweden is a country where there are night all winter and sun never raise over the horizon.

But then WOD at that time was written by american writers and most americans dont know that much about the rest of the world (unless US troops have fought a war there )
                        So if Sweden by lore is a country where sun never raise over the horizon during winter - then Alaska would have it as dark as if it was hidden in the shadowlands by that time of year.

Now, I live in middle of Sweden and I was out in the sun today with my daughter and build a snow castle in the yard for her, so obviously the Lore does not ring true.

This space for rent.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMastigoseQueen View Post
                          So i live in as you guessed it Alaska and i want to run a VTM game here, and i was wondering if there was anything happening here kindred wise? is there any books i could buy that would tell me, like an Alaska by night book or something?
                          Please let us know what you do in terms of using Alaska as a setting. I am curious what you do with it. And will you be using Juneau or Anchorage? That is assuming you use either of those cities.

Comment

I look askance at the idea of a "Prince" of Anchorage, unless it's the nominal title of the head of a small brood of associated kindred. The population just won't support enough vampires to have the kind of political intrigues the game assumes as default. And as for a more action-oriented approach, unless the handful of local kindred are all fairly potent elders, one nomadic Sabbat pack passing through or conflict with a single werewolf could wipe out the whole resident population.

Comment

The entire state's population isn't really a lot by vampire standards.

Though the Prince of Anchorage is less absurd if you consider they'd control at least Fairbanks and everything in between, the rest of the Kenai peninsula, and Kodiak island (which is, what ~75% of the state's entire population at that point?). It's very well established in VtM that the Prince of the largest city in an area frequently claims Domain over smaller nearby municipalities rather than their authority ending where humans draw lines on a map. Sure we're still talking about a dozen or so vampires at most.

And the "appropriate number of vampires" thing is something the books never really cared about. Once you get below the top 20 cities in the US by population, Anchorage is pretty average in size. Either you have to run the setting as only the top 20ish cities in the US have Princes and everywhere else is just a satellite Domain (like Gary Indiana and Santa Monica are actually presented as), or you ignore the numbers in the books to use the dozens of iconic US cities with populations of a few 100K.

Comment

Working...
                              X