Age, power and generation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MyWifeIsScary View Post
    The four humours aren't even common knowledge anymore. If someone wants to improve their Dominate, telling them to feed on people that are "Lazy, apathetic, calm, controlling, sentimental" just sounds like complete lunacy. Next we'll cure a cough by being passed over a donkey.

Feeding from athletes to siphon away some of their hard earned strength? Preying upon a boy genius for his smarts? That's intuitive. That's really, really intuitive.
    You realize there are more in-depth descriptions under each discipline? Each Resonance has those broader traits, and under each discipline there are more specific and intuitive ones. For your Dominate example: "Phlegmatic. The blood of the submissive or the dominant, masters and slaves, captains of industry, power trippers, cult leaders and followers."

Comment

Originally posted by Vamps Like Us View Post

Do you mind explaining a little more? I am interested in how you run this. If they exclusively hunt with Presence or Obtenibration tenticles that is all you allow to be raised? or do you factor in other often used events? Does daily combat allow the physical disciplines to be raised or must they feed at the end of the battle? To raise ones Auspex do they have to make a game of tracking and hunting there prey followed obviously by feeding on them?
      The rare disciplines like Obtenebration, Chimistry ETC have their own esoteric methods of cultivation.

Common Disciplines aren't actually gained by using them (though they do make the process easier) but rather through what you did to feed.
      Got physically violent to feed? Potence
      Charmed your fangs into someone? Presence. Scared someone into submision? Also presence.
      Made someone feel obligated to allow you to feed on them? Dominate. Had someone pin down your food? Dominate.
      Person didn't even know you were there? Obfuscate.
      Stalked your target till you knew far too much about them? Auspex.
      Used animals to hunt, or hunted animals? Animalism.
      Went through a lot of hardship to feed, perhaps even wore your food down? Fortitude.
      Fed in quick succession? Celerity.

Originally posted by SetiteFriend View Post

You realize there are more in-depth descriptions under each discipline? Each Resonance has those broader traits, and under each discipline there are more specific and intuitive ones. For your Dominate example: "Phlegmatic. The blood of the submissive or the dominant, masters and slaves, captains of industry, power trippers, cult leaders and followers."

The fact that you've had to take five minutes out of your day to explain this to me hints that it might not be so intuitive as you think.

Throw me/White wolf some money with Quietus: Drug Lord, Poison King
      There's more coming soon. Pay what ya want.

Comment

The rare disciplines like Obtenebration, Chimistry ETC have their own esoteric methods of cultivation.

Common Disciplines aren't actually gained by using them (though they do make the process easier) but rather through what you did to feed.
        Got physically violent to feed? Potence
        Charmed your fangs into someone? Presence. Scared someone into submision? Also presence.
        Made someone feel obligated to allow you to feed on them? Dominate. Had someone pin down your food? Dominate.
        Person didn't even know you were there? Obfuscate.
        Stalked your target till you knew far too much about them? Auspex.
        Used animals to hunt, or hunted animals? Animalism.
        Went through a lot of hardship to feed, perhaps even wore your food down? Fortitude.
        Fed in quick succession? Celerity.
        So Resonance but simpler, though less versatile.

The fact that you've had to take five minutes out of your day to explain this to me hints that it might not be so intuitive as you think.
        If you count "actually read the book" as an explanation, sure, it really isn't intuitive.

But discussing odd strawmans of v5 isn't really the point of this thread.

Comment

(also: I run Disciplines are accumulated by HOW you hunt. Attributes by what you hunt. There's no room for resonances)
          (also, I had this idea first)
          Those are both valid ideas, just not more valid than others. Yours is an interesting approach, and I don't doubt that you had the idea first. And it is completely fine that one idea makes more sense for you than the other. But arguing that one is intrinsically more sensible than the other is hypocritical. Both have interesting reasoning behind them, both are reasonable from a literary perspective and both are utter bullshit IRL.

You have a strong tendency to unnecessarily and intensely deride ideas different than yours, specially when they come from V5 for the sole reason of them coming from V5. I don't like the new edition any more than you, but you should think about not jumping at each and every apparent opportunity to bash it just for the sake of it.
          Last edited by monteparnas; 01-01-2022, 02:38 PM. Reason: Remove legacy code

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
          #AutismPride
          She/her pronouns

Comment

I think Resonances are a really bad idea, V5 or not.
            When DAV20 decided Dementation should invoke the four humours (later used for resonances), I didn't like that either. It's not a V5 thing, it's a general -this is dumb- thing.

Every edition has their -this is fucking stupid- moments. I'm attacking the idea, not the edition. It just happens that this last edition has more ideas worthy of contention.

There's plenty of -This is how vampires get stronger Ideas- that I've ascribed to/liked before. I think the way I've got it now is best, but there's nothing wrong with -Disciplines get better as you use them- or -Vampires can train their attributes just like humans- . Hell -vampires meditate to get powers- is still a better method than dysncras. "This human tastes good because of her lifetime of abuse" might make an interesting story but as one of the main ways to gain power it stands as one of the weaker options.

Throw me/White wolf some money with Quietus: Drug Lord, Poison King
            There's more coming soon. Pay what ya want.

Comment

Working...
            X