Question about resisting Dominate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about resisting Dominate

Once Dominate has been established can it be broken at all (excluding physical provocation aka being attacked)? An example I have is in the case of a target being told to stop. The target stopped moving during combat & was not attacked for the duration of the scene. How would the power be broken i.e. what rolls or expenditures would be needed? I cannot find anything in the Dark Ages or VTM books that answer this question. Thanks in advance.

*Additionally, can a Dominate L1 command be sleep?

The order could be "rewritten" by another vampire using Domination, but in the case of a character that try to set free by himself you could play it by spending a willpower point and roll willpower difficulty equal to the vampire who used it on him. He will have to get as many success as the vampire had when he dominated him and will have to spend willpower at each roll to set free and if the roll is a Botch he cannot set free at all for the rest of the scene (or maybe until another vampire set him free, your ST will decide)
    To me, breaking Domination is not something simple so in addition you can tell that a character can try to set free only if what he's doing is something he would totally refuse to do without hypnosis; not moving while looking at a vampire killing his family for exemple. It must be a personal electroshock that motivates the character deep inside to free himself from his mental chains, not just the need to be free but a particular event that pushes him to surpass himself and rebel against his oppressor

Comment

Judging from context, this is a question on V20 rules.

By the rules as written in V20, there is no way to resist dominate once it has been established. You cannot shake off the dominate once enemy is able to get a success. Now that said, many factors can prevent you from being dominated in the first place such as trying to avoid eye contact, one's nature, and being an exceptionally powerful vampire. Ultimately, anything else falls under the umbrella of house rules. If you want to use a great house rule, look at Cain Loup-Noir's post above for a great one.

Also yes, Command can tell people to sleep in V20. This was changed in V5 to attempt a sense of game balance.

Comment

I think of Dominate as an elastic band; the harder you try to fight it, the harder it'll pull.
        If you're Dominated to kill someone. Someone who really doesn't want to do it will end up taking the most direct route, finding the tool for the job and just going for it. They won't be able to do anything that compromises their chances of killing that person, and they won't be able to plan the aftermath. Likely they'll be struck dumb with a smoking gun in their hands. Someone who accepts the command will be able to take their time, plan their route of attack, and plan how they're going to escape.

There's no emotion in Dominate. You just find yourself doing things. You might be horrified by what you're doing, but you'll still do them. In some instances You might not even be paying attention to what you're doing. Like when I say I won't eat another biscuit but somehow it ends up in my mouth.

Dominate might break if the subject finds the difficulty to be wildly different than originally anticipated and the vampire didn't get enough successes. If the vampire only got 3 successes and the subject finds that his to-be-victim lives in a fortress surrounded by her private army, then the vampire should've gotten five successes.

The only other method is another Dominate, but you're not going to be asking for a Dominate to stop your current Dominate.

Throw me/White wolf some money with Quietus: Drug Lord, Poison King
        There's more coming soon. Pay what ya want.

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifeIsScary View Post
          You might not even be paying attention to what you're doing. Like when I say I won't eat another biscuit but somehow it ends up in my mouth.
          This gave me a good laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Alucardtes View Post
            An example I have is in the case of a target being told to stop. The target stopped moving during combat & was not attacked for the duration of the scene.
            This is a very good example of a Dominate user screwing up.

Once established, Dominate can't be fought by the victim, but there's still the rest of the world around them. If you spend hours not moving at all, it is likely that sooner or later someone will take you from there and try to help you. Vampires are likely to consider the situation a Masquerade risk and do something about it, and the simplest solution may very well be to counter-dominate, which isn't necessarily hard if that was just a Command.

At this point, though, even if the victim does not get a counter-Dominate, its up to the ST if any outside interference will break the Command or not.

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
            #AutismPride
            She/her pronouns

Comment

Working...
            X