Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troll/Fae King in Dark Age?

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if any of you remember reading something along the line of a Troll king hunting people on the full moon? I believe I read that in one of the Dark Ages Vampire book. Not sure if its first edition or revised. I've search on google and started searching in my old books but I can't find which one it is. I believe the reference to this character would have been no longer than 1 to 3 paragraph.

I also wondered if that fluff was something that only existed in VTM/DARK ages or if that character also exist in the Changeling books. I don't own any of those books from changelings. I've tried searching on google but didn't find anything.

Does anyone know anything about it or know which passage or book its written?

To anyone interested, I think I found the passage. In the 1st edition Dark Ages Companion, page 158, the character is called Erlkonig or Ly Erg. It's written in this passage that he is the master of the Wild Hunt. Hunting whoever is unfortunate enough to find themselves in his path until dawn. I'm almost sure I read something similar in another book, but my memory may be playing a trick on me. I remember reading something like he was abducting people on the full moon and hunting them until dawn and if you can survive until sunrise. Well, it's almost the same. The only part missing is the abducting and full moon.

Does anyone know if that character was referenced again in Changeling books or other VTM DARK AGEs books?

Comment

Originally posted by Arcaneumkiller View Post
      To anyone interested, I think I found the passage. In the 1st edition Dark Ages Companion, page 158, the character is called Erlkonig or Ly Erg. It's written in this passage that he is the master of the Wild Hunt. Hunting whoever is unfortunate enough to find themselves in his path until dawn. I'm almost sure I read something similar in another book, but my memory may be playing a trick on me. I remember reading something like he was abducting people on the full moon and hunting them until dawn and if you can survive until sunrise. Well, it's almost the same. The only part missing is the abducting and full moon.

Does anyone know if that character was referenced again in Changeling books or other VTM DARK AGEs books?
      This is a traditional myth (the Erl King, Erlking, Earl King, Elder King, Elf King, and various other spellings). I can't recall seeing it in other WoD books, but it's certainly influenced popular culture. Typically, he's the king of the elves, and sometimes conflated with Herne the Hunter, who leads the Wild Hunt.

ETA: More info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erlking
      Last edited by adambeyoncelowe; 01-19-2022, 04:46 AM.

Writer, publisher, performer
      Mostly he/his, sometimes she/her IRL https://adam-lowe.com

Comment

As adambeyoncelowe said, the Erlking is a traditional figure of Germanic folklore. Goethe wrote a famous poem about him. While I can't be certain, I am pretty sure he was mentioned in the Companion simply as page filler in order to fill out that section of the book. I doubt there were ever plans to develop it. They just wanted to do some quick mentions of real folklore to create the impression there was this wider supernatural world in the Middle Ages. White Wolf tended to dump lots of interesting tidbits in the original Dark Ages books that would never be developed. I remember in the original softcover of Werewolf: the Dark Ages they talked about how the Teutonic Knights could be used as werewolf hunters. Sounded cool to me, but it was only a mention. An ST would need to do all the heavy lifting to turn it into a usable concept.

Comment

Working...
        X