Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would kindred react to a vampire running a farm with animal, and crops?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would kindred react to a vampire running a farm with animal, and crops?

I wrote a post on reddit asking why vampires who had the appropriate resources start running farms where they can feed on animals and sell the bodies to a meat company. Maybe even sell some plants at a farmers market. Have your ghouls do it if you cant. Have a cheat day to take a break from animal drinking and deink some ghoul blood. Feed the animals you raise with the veggies you grow to save money. Feed your ghouls the same way, maybe add an extra chicken leg or cucumber to their meal for good behavior.

I wont post it here, but I feel you can guess the pros and cons on your own. The farm in question could just be a simple garden with a couple herbs and rabbits, to a medium backyard farm with veggies and chickens, to the types of farms you see in the country with cows, goats, and other animals.

My question to you is how would other vampires react to this?

Clans?

Sects?

I tend to have vampires who feed on animals treated by other vampires as the same way we react to extreme vegans. It's not something that's looked actively DISDAINFULLY down on but something that is considered completely unnecessary as well as surreal. A vampire who is a literal farmer is not going to be especially weird given the diversity of the Kindred experience but their feeding habits will probably get a little wrinkle of disgust.

If the vampire also maintains a staff of humans to feed on, perhaps with workers that come and go regularly, it wouldn't even be treated as weird.

Probably less disdain from Elders in fact as "ranching humans" used to be fairly common.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Forum Terms of Use
    the Contact Us link.

Comment

This was probably the norm for a long time. Keep in mind, a feudal lord was basically a farm-owner with a bunch of farmers renting chunks of his big farm and paying him a cut of their produce. In the WOD, many of those feudal lords would have been vampires who fed on both the livestock and the humans raising them, essentially treating the animals as cheap bread, and the humans as delicious beef.
      So the only thing strange about this to an older vampire would be refusing to eat the humans. Which would be seen as the equivalent of having a farm with wheat and cattle, and only eating the wheat.

Comment

In the 5th Edition anthology, a Toreador of all people was maintaining an organic farm where she lured in mortals to work her crops and live off the land. After they'd lost all their contact with their relatives and embraced the community--well, THAT'S when she slaughtered them.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Forum Terms of Use
        the Contact Us link.

Comment

Depends. Vampires don't gain as much nutrition, for lack of a better term, from animals as they do humans. Drinking all the blood from a cow only provides as much benefit as drinking from half a human. Heck they'd need to consume around a dozen rabbits to feel even a hint of satisfaction.

This information shows a logical explanation as to why it isn't very common, but vampires, like humans, aren't always logical. A vampire is more likely to own a farm IF they're on humanity, and aren't afraid of werewolves, who happen to live in the areas farms tend to boarder.

Most vampires will see you as wasting you time when it's easier to drink from a human. However here are some clan specific view points:

Ventrue, Toreador, and Lasombra: They'll think you're weak and pathetic. Farms are far from profitable, and can been seen as a waste of time for the undead.

Brujah, Malk, and Nos: They can respect the idea, but will likely keep doing what they normally do.

Gangrel or Banu Haqim: They'll call you weak and like6hunt you down to show you what a "real vampire" can do.

Giovanni: They like idea. Like genuinely. Better then having to listen to people dying as they feed every other night.

Tremere and Tzimisce: They think the idea is weird, but perfect to do some experiments.

Setites and Ravnos: They've done weirder, and can't judge you. They know this.

Oddly enough Anarch will likely be the most cool with this. Camarilla will likely mock you, but otherwise ignore you. Sabbat will straight up insult/kill you for suggesting this.

Enjoy my opinion/little information in the subject I know

Comment

The question with farming really comes down to how much realism you want in your games.

Animal blood doesn't taste as good as human blood, but more importantly you have to consume more of it get the same blood pool refill. If you are farming rodents like rats or rabbits, you would need huge numbers of them to be able to feed consistently and not wipe out the colony. If you are farming something bigger like goats or horses, then chances are you couldn't really keep animals like that in the city. The combination of not enough space and the various zoning laws create a lot of problems.

Obviously, there are exceptions to every rule. The Nosferatu with their spawning pools and underground lairs are pretty much tailor made to allow a vampire to keep oversized animals. But once again if you have seven giant albino alligators living in your sewer that you feed off of, there isn't much explanation about exactly how you feed the animals you are feeding off of. After a certain point you run out of homeless people to feed them.

As far as vampire's reactions go, it only matters if it works. Sure those who can't or won't consume lesser blood will scoff, but in the end, there has to be a pragmatic view on these sorts of things. Vampire society is too closely aligned with the notion of survival of the fittest to not validate functional approaches.

Comment

I knew a guy once whose Toreador ran a tobacco farm where he grew a small patch of special tobacco infused with Vitae that he could smoke to gain Blood Points in an emergency when he couldn’t feed on anyone. It was a weird game, and not terribly realistic 😊.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who replied! I though it would be cool new perspective for maybe a vampire to drink mostly from animals, and have a cheat day perhaps once a weak and drink from his ghouls. I know it would be somewhat embarrassing within vampire society, but if your going to drink from animals you farm, you probably don't care what others think of you.

Comment

I’ve played a Nosferatu Farmer (the predator type) who owned an animal shelter. They has arrangements with all the “no kill” shelters to take the animals that couldn’t be rehabbed. Nothing like your food coming to you.

Comment

I think a vampire would react to the vampire farmer with...
                    ...indifference.

Mostly they would not care, as vampires are myopic and self absorbed. But some would kill the farmers animals because vampires are also dicks.

Comment

I had Doyle Fincher running his slaughterhouse and stockyards so he could drink literally thousands of gallons of animal blood if he wanted to. That was before V5 but if a vampire is a 13th or 12th generation, I think this plan is feasible.

Forum Terms of Use
                      the Contact Us link.

Comment

Heh. I had almost forgotten, but I'm planning a MtA game set in Dallas-Fort Worth. At some point the mages will have to deal with a vampire hiding in the stockyards.

Comment

Putting myself into a vampire's shoes, I think I'd be pretty hostile.

1: who are you hiding from to live this lifestyle? Are you so bad at the Jyhad that this is how you live? I'd rather be dead. Hey maybe I should collect your information to see if anyone's interested in knowing where you live.

2: do you think you're better than me or something, even if you're not putting on a "hollier than thou" attitude, I'm going to be suspicious (because vampires lie a lot) do you think we should all be living from animals and I should feel guilty that I'm addicted to human blood? Oh, you consider consuming human blood a cheat do you?

3: Doing farm work at night is pretty sus. Maybe I should kill you for the potential Masquerade breach.

Throw me/White wolf some money with Quietus: Drug Lord, Poison King
                          There's more coming soon. Pay what ya want.

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifeIsScary View Post

1: who are you hiding from to live this lifestyle? Are you so bad at the Jyhad that this is how you live? I'd rather be dead. Hey maybe I should collect your information to see if anyone's interested in knowing where you live.

2: do you think you're better than me or something, even if you're not putting on a "hollier than thou" attitude, I'm going to be suspicious (because vampires lie a lot) do you think we should all be living from animals and I should feel guilty that I'm addicted to human blood? Oh, you consider consuming human blood a cheat do you?

3: Doing farm work at night is pretty sus. Maybe I should kill you for the potential Masquerade breach.
                            This seems more like the actions of a Brujah as I doubt I'd be so insecure about my vampiredom to comment on someone living the equivalent of organic farming.

And if we're killing people for nightwork on a farm, we've officially reached an area where the Prince has to be overthrown.

Forum Terms of Use
                            the Contact Us link.

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifeIsScary View Post

1) 99% of vampires would do anything to survive another night, they probably wont care what they have to do to survive, if that means wadding through sewage, they would definitely do that. Plus who's going to care that a vampire runs a farm? Unless some big name elder was running the farm, most couldn't care less. They may just think it a source of income and blood. Gotta keep the green and red flowing after all.

2) No answer for that, vampires can be like that at times.

3) How is doing farm work at night sus? You could claim you do the night shift, and there is a night shift on farms. Stuff like tomatoes, garlic, corn, and wine grapes, are harvested at night. A lot of stuff goes down at the farm when it gets dark. You can look it up online.

Last edited by Hello; 02-28-2022, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X