Player's Guide and Blood Sigils for vtm announced

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
    Supposedly something like 2/3 of all Assamite sorcerers are descended from him, most prominently Al-Ashrad.
    I didn't know that, but doesn't it also makes a loresheet for his descendants kind of pointless? It is like making the loresheet for Assamite Sorcerers.

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
    #AutismPride
    She/her pronouns

Comment

I’m looking forward to the Player’s Guide, but I’m nervous about Blood Sigil. Blood Sorcery is already the most bloated discipline, even AFTER it was pared down from V20. Easily one of the best parts of V5 is that Tremere are much more balanced than they used to be. I hope we aren’t going to go back to the bad old days.

Comment

At least the elimination of Paths means every published Tremere character doesn't have an extra 20+ dots in disciplines at their disposal. Rituals work a bit better both thematically and for game balance what with the time and preparation required.

Comment

I don't think rituals were particularly problematic before, but don't have a problem with them now either. For Paths though, agreed, while I'm on the opinion that limiting a V5 Discipline to 1-power-per-level isn't the best design choice, making sorcerers, especially the Tremere, follow the same rules as everyone else is a major improvement.

For now I think this is enough to deter the unavoidable sorcery bloat from becoming a serious problem.

But I do miss the details in the distinct sorcery Disciplines that made them intrinsically linked to the culture of each magical group, even more than I miss the specific powers. Koldunism, Thaumaturgy and Dur-An-Ki aren't the same thing in lore and shouldn't feel the same even when they're doing the same things (they can still be mechanically equivalent, no problem).

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
          #AutismPride
          She/her pronouns

Comment

Yeah, I sort of feel like a better route would be generic Paths with paradigm-specific rider effects to represent the different schools of Blood Magic. This is sort of how Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4e does it, collapsing lots of disparate traditions into a much smaller list of spells. Then you wouldn't need Paths, Ways and Krainas that overlap or repeat themes; you'd just have one set of base rules with modifiers based on your paradigm.

So, you may have a common list of weather manipulation, spirit manipulation, fire, telekinesis and blood manipulation, but the paradigm rider modifies them somewhat by requiring a certain sacrifice or focus (blood for Tremere, talismans or astrology for Banu Haqim, native soil for Tzimisce, infernal True Names for Baali, runes that cause self-inflicted damage for Lhiannon, and so on), or by adding specific effects.

A Koldun with the base weather powers might add an effect unique to their connection to the land; Banu Haqim might manifest their powers as the intervention of djinn, creating obvious displays of the supernatural even for subtle spells; Lhiannon might be able to sustain a spell for as long as a rune remains on her skin but takes a level of lethal damage she cannot heal without removing the rune; Setites gain extra bonuses when manipulating desires and base passions, or perhaps faith; and so on.

Then there may be a select number of unique rituals for each paradigm that are only available to those schools of magic, to fill in the gaps left behind by the reduced number of Paths.

Because of time, though, I just implemented a simple house rule: in V20, Tremere can learn their primary Path as in-Clan, but all the others count as out-of-Clan. The only benefit is that because of the Clan structure, they can attempt to access those additional Paths through mentors and favours, although always at a cost.

Furthermore, each paradigm has a limited list of Paths they can learn, with Thaumaturgy and Dur-An-Ki being the most flexible in terms of what's available (they get everything), but other Clans and Bloodlines only accessing a narrow range.
            Last edited by adambeyoncelowe; 03-12-2022, 06:25 AM.

Writer, publisher, performer
            Mostly he/his, sometimes she/her IRL https://adam-lowe.com

Comment

I'm just pissed that Necromancy (sorry, Oblivion) gets the short straw again. I mean fine, we get a few new rituals for Blood Sorcery and some new stuff for thinbloods but what about Abyss Mysticism and Necromancy? The Cult of the Blood Gods gave a few new rituals but it's still a far cry from what we had previously. And they have never released a book fully dedicated to Necromancy, but Thaum has 3 books dedicated to it (with some Assamite, Setite and Tzimisce sorcery thrown in for good measure).

English is not my native language, so i apologize for errors in grammar or spelling.

Comment

Vampires should have the ability to control the weather. If they don't want it to be a Thaum path anymore, then make it something else. A Dominate fifth level power where you Dominate the weather. An Animalism fifth level power where you send your beast into the atmosphere creating a roaring thunderstorm. An Oblivion power where you pull part of the underworld's maelstrom into the living world. I don't care what you make it a part of, but weather control is a classic Dracula power and should exist in some form.

Comment

Any word on the player's guide possible release date?

Comment

Originally posted by Vilenecromancer View Post
                    Any word on the player's guide possible release date?
                    They said Summer 2022 was the date they gave iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by SetiteFriend View Post

They said Summer 2022 was the date they gave iirc.
                      Most excellent. I will be retreating into the shadows in that case. Thank you my scaley friend.

Comment

Working...
                      X