Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How common are Paths of Enlightenment among the Anarchs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How common are Paths of Enlightenment among the Anarchs?

How common are Paths of Enlightenment among the Anarchs?

I don't hear from it very much in the books, but I would imagine it is less common than it is in Camarilla but not by a lot, and mostly followed by older or more esoteric vamps.

Perhaps the biggest difference, with the exception that Anarchs have a lot of young Kindred, is that Paths may go against the modern 'total freedom' of the Anarchs. Like, why get free from the sects with their hierarchy and dick measuring politics if you are just going to bow your head to long ass dogmas made by (and for) old monsters? At the same time, being Anarch is being free to believe what you want, so there is much room for it. That is why I also imagine that most Vampire Cults are in Anarch territory, and other Anarchs only care if it threatens their power or the Masquerade way too much (and they think just staying out of the way ain't gonna work).

The Paths with least structure, more intimate, personal or taxing search, are the ones I imagine have least place in other sects. They worry too much with goals, laws, structures and the social & political activities of things, so having a member go full on ascetic monk, eternal wanderer, deep-thinker, or immersed animalistic hunter isn't much useful. The Church of Set must be having a blast right now in the Anarchs. Lilins too must thrive in Anarchs.

Since Sabbat and Camarilla are power-centered (with different goals for it; be it preservation and security or destruction and conquering) I can really see the more philosophical, esoteric and intimate paths finding their place among the Anarchs (enough social space for dealing some favors and getting your stuff, but no expectation or duty owed for the 'sect'). Especially because for me there is the Anarchs of Freedom-Fighting (or any Brujah-type project or movement) and there is Anarch 'Leave me Alone' (which is a more lawless and independant Camarilla). The latter got to be full of Path followers I would think, besides the many low Humanity power-hungry and violent Kindred alongside them.

Strange... When coincidence seems too convenient, I prefer to call it fate.

-Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain d=

Comment

Next to nonexistent. We take for granted we know paths exist, but most modern kindred have no such knowledge. The Camarilla doesn't teach, or acknowledge, paths outside of humanity, and the majority of Anarchs come from the Camarilla originally. Almost all path followers are Elders, Sabbat, and Independent clans; all of which together makes up likely less then half of the total vampire population. Not only that, but even within these groups they're a huge minority.

Even if Anarchs knew about paths, a good portion wouldn't choose to follow them. Humanity, even before v5, was extremely customizable, and allowed a player to theoretically personalize it to each character. The wording in v20, and the inclusion of the word violation in the sin chart, proves this point. This means, while being limited in many ways, humanity is still the most open ended of the paths to be on.

So in conclusion, paths are rare in the Anarchs, but not impossible.

Comment

Which edition probably influences this a bit as well.

But yes, I'll third the idea that most Paths are just incompatible with the ideals of the Anarch movement in modern nights, and even the few that aren't would still struggle to spread for a number of reasons.

I think there's a strong rationale in the way the setting is constructed that Independent vampires tend to do the best at setting up institutional acceptance of Paths, but mostly because they're focusing on 1-3 of them at most.

Comment

Depends on the edition. In V5, where a massive number of Setites joined, you'd definitely have some on various Setite Paths. There's also a notable Tzimisci presence in the V5 Anarchs, and I imagine a lot of them would be ex-Sabbat on the Path of Metamorphosis or other Paths that don't really work with the current Sabbat.

Older editions, I think Anarchs on Paths would be oddities. Anarchs tend to be younger and the sect, such as it was didn't really have any sizable groups that were on Paths.
          Last edited by AnubisXy; 03-12-2022, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Define "Anarch"

The typical malcontents in secure camarilla cities? Almost nonexistent. But on the other hand a few elders might be labeled Anarch just because they're on a path.
            "Free" states? probably a sizable number. 20-30% maybe. Cults and defectors flock to these kinds of areas where their ideology can spread.

Throw me/White wolf some money with Quietus: Drug Lord, Poison King
            There's more coming soon. Pay what ya want.

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifeIsScary View Post
              Define "Anarch"

The typical malcontents in secure camarilla cities? Almost nonexistent. But on the other hand a few elders might be labeled Anarch just because they're on a path.
              "Free" states? probably a sizable number. 20-30% maybe. Cults and defectors flock to these kinds of areas where their ideology can spread.
              I'm thinking it would be pretty common these days, what with many Loyalist Sabbat having joined the Anarchs simply because they weren't interested in the Gehenna War.

Comment

Originally posted by CajunKhan View Post
                I'm thinking it would be pretty common these days, what with many Loyalist Sabbat having joined the Anarchs simply because they weren't interested in the Gehenna War.
                As originally written, there was probably few Anarchs who followed Paths. Paths were almost exclusively Sabbat. And most Paths were not formulated in a way that would have likely attracted any adherents among the Anarchs we were presented with. Most were either stupid thugs who would not have had the intellectual interest to adopt any Path, or fairly high Humanity vampires who would have been turned off by most Paths.

But in a V5 scenario that saw Loyalist Sabbat defect to the Anarchs, then they'd carry over their existing Paths like you described. What would these Paths be?

In the original Sabbat books, we were told that the Loyalists were overwhelming the Brujah anti-tribu and the Ventrue anti-tribu. In the clan sections we were told the Brujah were overwhelmingly on Power and the Inner Voice, with some on the Path of Cathari or Harmony. The Ventrue mostly followed the Path of Honorable Accord with some Cathari. In addition to these explicit Loyalists, there would also be some amount of Moderates whose positions were much closer to the Loyalists than the Status Quo. The moderates were most of the Gangrel, Malkavian, Nosferatu, Toreador, Tremere, and Serpents of the Light. Many of these would have stayed in the Sabbat, but we could definitely see certain factions of the Moderates leaving. Assuming the Path of Harmony was not wiped out (which included most of the Sabbat's Gangrel), then the Country Gangrel following Harmony would have been the most likely to defect. The Nosferatu might also defect since their real loyalty was to their clan and always maintained relations with Camarilla Nosferatu (though I could see the former Nosferatu AT splitting with some members going Camarilla and others to Anarch). We were told their favorite Paths were Harmony, Caine, and Honorable Accord. I think the other clans were more likely to stick with the remnant Sabbat, but individual defections could occur.

So the most likely clans to defect would be the Brujah AT, Ventrue AT, Country Gangrel, and Nosferatu. Which would make the most prevalent Paths those of Power and the Inner Voice, Harmony, Cathari, Caine, and Honorable Accord. Individuals being what they are, there'd also be a smattering of lesser numbers of other Paths.

Now depending on your interpretation of the Path of Honorable Accord (see the other thread on this forum), those followers may or may not be able actually defect. So you'd need to decide that. But at least theoretically, it'd be much easier for a Sabbat on the Path of Honorable Accord to defect to the Anarchs than the Camarilla. The Camarilla remains the enemy, and one could make an honest argument that the NuAnarchs were the organization the Sabbat was supposed to be like before it got corrupted. You might even be able to argue that the NuAnarch are in fact the Sabbat Loyalists who attracted the anarchs to join them. They might even have a new version of the Code of Milan - probably the original Code without the second section added on by the elders, and possibly with other things added on to clarify it to be more in tune with their Loyalist sensibilities. We might call this the "Reformed Code of Milan." It would also make these Path followers the ones most likely to remain elements of Sabbat culture among the Anarchs, but leaning towards the sect's earliest days of absolute freedom than what it's been in the last 200 years.

Comment

I feel the Anarchs would be a good place to find multiple different paths of enlightenment. The sabbat is violent against most vampires that follow paths of enlightenment, because they see this as turning away from the apex predators vampires are supposed to be. The camarilla would be suspicious because they see following humanity as the best way to manipulate mortals, and any other path in their eyes risks these delicate manipulations. Neither sect is great at debating different ideologies. Its either their way or the high way (or final death).

Anarchs on the other hand don't care what path you follow, as long as its not harmful to those around you. If you do follow a path that is harmful then don't worry! They don't have the resources to hunt you down, or even spread news of the path you follow. So if the path you follow seems to be somewhat amoral like the path of metamorphosis, they're not going to hunt you down, mostly because they cant, and also because they probably wont understand what the path entails. They will probably see you as a wierdo, but that's it.

As long as you keep certain information hidden, like how metamorphosis encourages the tzimisce to kidnap people and do experiments on them, there wont be any issues.
                  Last edited by Hello; 03-12-2022, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X