Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are the Anziani suspicious of GIovanni who posses the Mortuario merit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are the Anziani suspicious of GIovanni who posses the Mortuario merit?

It doesn't even feel like a merit, it would be much better of as a flaw. You practically get an appearance of 0, and get a decrease in all the difficulties for a necromancy roll by 1 in return. I haven't really played VTM, but have read a lot of the books put out, so I don't know if that's good or bad.

You literally keep all your scars even if you heal completely from the wound, congratulations you may pass as a Nosferatu or Samedi. From what I have heard, blood magic isn't that great either, and is said to be an xp sink. Necromancy itself isn't viewed in the best light either. What I mean by that is that many people think that its quite weak for blood sorcery.

So why would the Anziani care about anyone with this merit?

They seem to be something of a masquerade breach, since they keep every scar, even if the wound completely heals. They are unlikely to have that much success in social situations. And they seem to be only a bit better at necromancy than most Giovanni.

The corpselike appearance of Giovanni vampires with the Mortuario merit bears an unseemly resemblance to the clan flaw of the old Cappadoccian clan.

For centuries, the official word among the Giovanni was that they had successfully betrayed, diablerized and murdered the Cappadoccians and supplanted them as the Clan of Death. The Anziani are old enough to have been there when it all went down, and dread the thought of vengeful master necromancers older than them coming back from the spirit realm to have a word.

All of this is superceded by lore developments in 5th Edition; the Cappadoccians did come back, and they underwent a merger with their rivals to form Clan Hecata after the Giovanni's eldest "mysteriously" disappeared.

Comment

Originally posted by Reasor View Post
      The corpselike appearance of Giovanni vampires with the Mortuario merit bears an unseemly resemblance to the clan flaw of the old Cappadoccian clan.

For centuries, the official word among the Giovanni was that they had successfully betrayed, diablerized and murdered the Cappadoccians and supplanted them as the Clan of Death. The Anziani are old enough to have been there when it all went down, and dread the thought of vengeful master necromancers older than them coming back from the spirit realm to have a word.

All of this is superceded by lore developments in 5th Edition; the Cappadoccians did come back, and they underwent a merger with their rivals to form Clan Hecata after the Giovanni's eldest "mysteriously" disappeared.
      So keeping scars of every wound was something the cappadoccians were cursed with? I thought it was only looking like a corpse.

Comment

They just looked pale as fresh corpses.

I wonder if the inevitable appearance degradation over time isn't meant to hint subtly at the Samedi's descent from the Capaddocians; they're a bloodline with a much more severe version of the appearance flaw.

Comment

Working...
        X