• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animal turned Human embraced Vampire?

Has this happened anywhere in the lore?

I don't believe so.

Comment

If it happened at all it is really niche.

It's possible depending on how the animal was turned. Possible, but very weird.

Comment

I think the closest you'd get is one of the Fera (Were-wolves, bears, ravens, etc) getting embraced.

Some of the were-creatures, the Changing Breeds, are born as the animal part of their Breed. E.g. some Werewolves are born wolves, Werebears as bears, etc. When they mature they undergo the 'First Change' which lets them change into other forms including a human form.

This form can be embraced (though most were-creatures would fight against it), the majority die in the process or commit suicide. Some do survive and become strange creatures dubbed abominations. They're very rare and are largely nothing more than a plot point, most ST's and groups would look at a player wishing to play one as someone just trying to min-max the game.

STV Author - Guide to the Sabbat
        Current Project(s): Tales from the Fronts - A Guide to the Gehenna War

Comment

There's something that comes close. This deserves a Doctor Weird intro, for sheer bafflingness.

Aabbt Kindred | White Wolf Wiki | Fandom

I apologize for that you now know that whole thing existed and that embraced snakes who could transform into snake human hybrids were once a thing in VtM.

Berlin by Night was unfortunate on many levels, Karl Shrekt notwithstanding.
          Last edited by MarkK; 03-21-2022, 06:33 PM. Reason: Found a shorter "Behold!"

Comment

Originally posted by MarkK View Post
            There's something that comes close. This deserves a Doctor Weird intro, for sheer bafflingness.

Aabbt Kindred | White Wolf Wiki | Fandom

I apologize for that you now know that whole thing existed and that embraced snakes who could transform into snake human hybrids were once a thing in VtM.

Berlin by Night was unfortunate on many levels, Karl Shrekt notwithstanding.
            Are these still canon?

Comment

Depends how you want to consider canon? IIRC there's never been any overt retcon or disavowal of the Aabbt, but they were also never brought up ever again. If you have a "hard" or "strict" view on canon... then they'd still be canon as they're in an official source book and nothing since has redone their existence. If you have a "softer" approach to canon they're not and were quietly swept under the rug to never by talked of again.

Comment

Originally posted by omenseer View Post
                Are these still canon?
                Cannon in WoD is more like, "it could have happened". That said this was retconned as back in 1e it was 100% possible to embrace animals. However, that has been since retconned. That said I am unsure which edition first explicitly said animals could not be embraced.

Comment

Berlin by Night came out in '93, (so basically on the line of 1e and 2e) and it explicit that animals shouldn't be able to be Embraced and nobody knows how it happened.

Comment

There was a Ravenloft Darklord who had this as his background. He was a panther made to seduce a Thayan woman. Sadly, it was very racist due to the fact he was the only black guy in the setting.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Forum Terms of Use
                    the Contact Us link.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it was Revised that lowered the boom on animals being subject to the embrace. I suppose one could retcon the Aabbt Kindred as having been some kind of magical creation like those of one of the Akhu Paths of blood magic rather than actual vampire animals.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                        Berlin by Night came out in '93, (so basically on the line of 1e and 2e) and it explicit that animals shouldn't be able to be Embraced and nobody knows how it happened.
                        It has a text box saying any animal can be embraced, next to the Aabt Kindred stat block though

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
                          There was a Ravenloft Darklord who had this as his background. He was a panther made to seduce a Thayan woman. Sadly, it was very racist due to the fact he was the only black guy in the setting.
                          Baron Urik Von Kharkov, a very interesting character despite the weirdly convoluted background. More grounded than many things we see in most settings, including VtA. But in VtA specifically, only the Aabbt got close, I think.

To be honest, there's no reason for it not to be possible, and it may work on a game just fine. There are several ways you can run a good horror game with this premise. But given some of the shit WoD gave us when going such paths, I think it is fortunate that we never got anything beyond the Aabbt as canon (and they being possible canon doesn't seems to me like a problem at all, since they're a unique fluke at least).

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
                          #AutismPride
                          She/her pronouns

Comment

Embraced, no. I’ve had Revenant canines raised by the Bratovich line of revenants though.

Comment

Originally posted by Karos View Post
                              I think the closest you'd get is one of the Fera (Were-wolves, bears, ravens, etc) getting embraced.

Some of the were-creatures, the Changing Breeds, are born as the animal part of their Breed. E.g. some Werewolves are born wolves, Werebears as bears, etc. When they mature they undergo the 'First Change' which lets them change into other forms including a human form.

This form can be embraced (though most were-creatures would fight against it), the majority die in the process or commit suicide. Some do survive and become strange creatures dubbed abominations. They're very rare and are largely nothing more than a plot point, most ST's and groups would look at a player wishing to play one as someone just trying to min-max the game.
                              Fera is the Garou word for werebeasts that aren't Garou. The single, universal terms for them are Changers or werecreatures.

Comment

Working...
                              X