Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Beckoning? What clans or bloodlines might be immune to it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Beckoning? What clans or bloodlines might be immune to it?

We know that the Hecate are not affected so far by it. But who else do you think might fall into that camp of not being called.?

1. Ravnos for obvious reasons since there antiedulivian suffered final death in 1999 and left barely a hundred survivors in the aftermath and I bet there will be serious side effects down the road for them. Maybe they will have a withering effect with there disciplines and notable aging as things progress.

2. Gangrel as I understand it that is that there founder tried to became one with earth and maybe become something totally different and have little interest in his/her clan's actions.

3. Ministry/Followers Of Set. I can't see them having a Beckoning since nobody has any clue to Set’s fate 2,000 years ago and maybe is residing in a different plane of reality.

What is your choices?
    Last edited by Lysander; 04-10-2022, 04:44 PM. Reason: Fixing up spelling errors

What in the name of Set is going on here?

I would chose to have all 13 be immune. :P
    But Metaplot is what it is, so; Nobody.

The Beckoning is not confirmed to be being triggered by the Clan Founders. I seem to recall that Caitiff are being affected, so it seems that the status of the Antediluvians is possibly moot what with their connection to the founders sort of being severed (also that thing in one of the Gehenna scenarios where Ennoia just uses fissures to swallow people into the Earth whole when she wakes up hungry, or something like that, so the Gangrel aren't safe).

It's also not necessarily the case that the Hecata are immune. They may also be subject to a Beckoning, but theirs has taken a different form. (While the rest of the vampiric world succumbs to entropy and structures fall apart, the Clan of Death is stronger. Presumably, in the aftermath of this hypothesis, as new structures are built, the Clan of Death will have another fracturing, murder spree and renaming.)
    Last edited by Rhywbeth; 04-09-2022, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhywbeth View Post
      I would chose to have all 13 be immune. :P
      But Metaplot is what it is, so; Nobody.

The Beckoning is not confirmed to be being triggered by the Clan Founders. I seem to recall that Caitiff are being affected, so it seems that the status of the Antediluvians is possibly moot what with their connection to the founders sort of being severed (also that thing in one of the Gehenna scenarios where Ennoia just uses fissures to swallow people into the Earth whole when she wakes up hungry, or something like that, so the Gangrel aren't safe).
      Being Caitiff, clan prejudices notwithstanding, does not on itself breaks one's ties to lineage of embrace or founder - in fact the Panders of the Sabbat (at least from V20 onwards, but honestly i like that particular update very much for all the questions, complications and hooks it opens up) possess an initiation/thaumaturgic ritual for doing exactly that, devised by Joseph Pander himself.

Originally posted by Rhywbeth View Post
      It's also not necessarily the case that the Hecata are immune. They may also be subject to a Beckoning, but theirs has taken a different form. (While the rest of the vampiric world succumbs to entropy and structures fall apart, the Clan of Death is stronger. Presumably, in the aftermath of this hypothesis, as new structures are built, the Clan of Death will have another fracturing, murder spree and renaming.)
      The Hecata's situation is quite nebulous to say the least - we don't know who or what might count as Founder for them in modern nights with all the upheavals and blood magic shenanigans that have gone on in their current formation, among other things.

Maybe it does not affect them, maybe it does - would anyone outside of their own notice a major migration of a part of their elders to comparatively sedate Turkey amidst the mayhem of the Beckoning and Sabbat Crusade in other parts of the Middle East?

Personally i've always been far more curious about how aware the Tal'Mahe'Ra is of the (relatively) large number of Nagaraja who deserted to join the Hecata and their feelings on the matter as a whole.
      Last edited by Baaldam; 04-09-2022, 03:15 PM.

Comment

It all comes down to what the Beckoning actually is. If it is caused by the Antes then going by pre-V5 lore the Brujah, Settites, and Venture are all potentially immune. The Tremere do not get into that list because their two Antes (Salout and Tzimisce) were explicitly alive at the beginning of Gehenna.

Blue is sarcasm.

If I suggestion I make contradicts in-setting metaphysics please ignore me, I probably brought in scientific ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
          Personally i've always been far more curious about how aware the Tal'Mahe'Ra is of the (relatively) large number of Nagaraja who deserted to join the Hecata and their feelings on the matter as a whole.
          Isn't the Tal'Mahe'Ra supposedly fallen in V5, with maybe some splinters of the former sect regrouping into the Servitors of Irad? If one ignores the metaplot-agnostic depiction in V20 it supposedly went kablooey along with Enoch more than 20 years ago, and the Nagaraja left on earth either scattered or gathered under the protection of Asian vampires in Korea.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post

Isn't the Tal'Mahe'Ra supposedly fallen in V5, with maybe some splinters of the former sect regrouping into the Servitors of Irad? If one ignores the metaplot-agnostic depiction in V20 it supposedly went kablooey along with Enoch more than 20 years ago, and the Nagaraja left on earth either scattered or gathered under the protection of Asian vampires in Korea.
            Tal'Mahe'Ra being destroyed is still canon. Forbidden Religions talks about their remnants, and how they believe the Abyss / Shalim / Lasombra wants to keep Enoch for itself.
            Last edited by SetiteFriend; 04-09-2022, 06:43 PM.

Comment

My bad, i'm more of a "V20 & setting hacks" kind of guy, so will occasionally slip hard on some bit of V5 chronology/metaplot.

Comment

Right now the Hecata are the only clan that's explicitly noted as being immune to the Beckoning. It might be due to how Giovanni was never able to fully absorb Cappadocius' power and so the Hecata don't really have a clan founder anymore. Or if the Beckoning is being caused by elders, then it might be due to how the Giovanni slaughtered most Cappadocius elders, so there's only a tiny handful of truly ancient vampires compared to other clans. Or maybe because the Feast of Folly operated as a sort of of Beckoning and it doesn't work as well a second time.

Some clans though, I would lean towards them being more easily able to resist the Beckoning. For example with the Tremere, even the oldest members have a lifespan that can be counted in less than ten centuries, not the millennia that you see in other clans. Plus with their blood being a slurry of Tzimisci and Salubri I think that would give them some resistance. Likewise I would imagine the handful of Ravnos elders that might still exist should probably be immune.

Moving out a bit from that wheelhouse, I would probably rule a few of the more esoteric Bloodlines could be immune or less affected. For example with the Kaisyd (and Maeghar) perhaps their Changeling nature gives them some level of resistance. You also have some of the really weird Bloodlines like Gargoyles, where I might say any really old ones aren't affected (for many of the same reasons why I would say the Tremere aren't overly affected).
                Last edited by AnubisXy; 04-09-2022, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Of the Hecata's constituent bloodlines, all but the Nagaraja are descended from the long-dead Cappadocius; the Nagaraja derived their undead status from experiments with the blood of Setites, whose founder has been dead even longer.

Comment

By Asian vampires you don’t mean the Wan Kuei do you? I heard they’re totally gone.

Sorry for switching topics lol

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post

By Asian vampires you don’t mean the Wan Kuei do you? I heard they’re totally gone.

Sorry for switching topics lol
                      They have by the sounds of it. But yes, in the Rev Ed they fled to the Korean Courts of the Wan Kuei. In V5 it does imply they were there for a time before they showed up for the Family Reunion and became part of the Hecata.

Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenceless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable. Indomitable.

Comment

Come to think of it. The Tzismce and the Malkavians may be not feeling the beckoning with there antideuvlians no longer being in the physical world.

What in the name of Set is going on here?

Comment

IIRC, the Tzimisce were undergoing something very similar to the Beckoning (though not exclusive to elders) back in Revised Edition when their antediluvian was bubbling under New York.

Comment

Originally posted by AkatsukiLeader13 View Post
                            They have by the sounds of it. But yes, in the Rev Ed they fled to the Korean Courts of the Wan Kuei. In V5 it does imply they were there for a time before they showed up for the Family Reunion and became part of the Hecata.
                            Maybe they went to Korea and took refuge with the indigenous Cainites there.

Comment

The Way I Handle the Beckoning

The Beckoning...is not actually a thing.

Well, to be fair, it is a thing but it's not what Elders think it is because they're focusing on the possibility of the Clan Founders drawing them to the Middle East and every piece of evidence contradicting this theory is discarded or ignored. The Beckoning is happening but it's not drawing people to the Middle East and is a lot more distressingly mundane in many cases than the Antediluvians.

You see, the source of the Beckoning? Well, for the most part is the use of Presence **** (Summon). It turns out a lot of vampires have access to that ability and Methuselahs from across the globe are using that power to gather their allies to them who are often gathering their own allies to them as well as them calling their allies. Given the complicated network of Blood Bonds, Entrancement, and Awe--that turns out to be a lot of vampires.

"The Beckoning" is also an excuse for any time an Elder disappears. A lot of Second Inquistion, Anarch, Camarilla infighting, and Elder plotting deaths were attributed to it because that was a very convenient way of explaining them away without admitting darker possibilities. The reforged Sabbat and the Shepherds of Ur-Shulgi have also killed a lot more than anyone was ready to admit as well.

Amusingly, quite a few vampires who "heard the call" actually were just going into hiding or torpor because they wanted to wait this entire nonsense with the Second Inquisition and Second Anarch Revolt out. The rumor mill has done the rest.
                              Last edited by CTPhipps; 04-13-2022, 05:24 AM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Forum Terms of Use
                              the Contact Us link.

Comment

Working...
                              X