Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How closely do you adhere to the metaplot?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a slave of it

Comment

I like a lot of it -- up to Beckett's Jyhad Diary, and some of it after, but not all -- but I've always been pretty fluid with it. I think the metaplot works best when it's vague rumours and conflicting information. Not only does it add to the conspiratorial/legendary nature of the game, but it gives lots of possibilities.

I also like to keep my options open right until the last minute. I may have two or three possible 'truths' in mind when running a game, and only decide on the final one when I see what will be most dramatic in the current game.

Writer, publisher, performer
      Mostly he/his, sometimes she/her IRL https://adam-lowe.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lysander View Post
        So I take it that many of you a fair amount liberties with the setting. So what was the most dramatic change did you do with your game that ignores the metaplot?

Such as reworking the idea of the True Brujah and there Temporis discipline? That always struck me that would fit better with Mage The Awakening and or Changeling The Lost. I started playing more NWOD when it came onto my radar.
        It's hard to pick just one. I've rewritten the entire metaplot from the ground up. I guess the biggest change is in the structure of the clans:

I had every clan be separated from every other clan, starting in a particular time and place in history. They do not have common ancestors in common. Some clans (Gangrel, Setite, Toreador, Malkavian, Brujah) are older -- in some cases significantly older -- than others (Lasombra, Tremere, Nosferatu, Tzimisce, Ventrue). My Ventrue have a "Roman" veneer to them because they were actually Romans. My Brujah have Carthage on their mind because the clan was founded in Carthage by Carthaginians. My Lasombra actually are from Spain, for the most part. (At least the elders.) My Tzimisce are actually from Wallachia. Ancient Hebrew Malkavians.... Sumerian Gangrel.... Greek Toreador.... Byzantine Nosferatu......

Comment

Originally posted by Legendre View Post

It's hard to pick just one. I've rewritten the entire metaplot from the ground up. I guess the biggest change is in the structure of the clans:

I had every clan be separated from every other clan, starting in a particular time and place in history. They do not have common ancestors in common. Some clans (Gangrel, Setite, Toreador, Malkavian, Brujah) are older -- in some cases significantly older -- than others (Lasombra, Tremere, Nosferatu, Tzimisce, Ventrue). My Ventrue have a "Roman" veneer to them because they were actually Romans. My Brujah have Carthage on their mind because the clan was founded in Carthage by Carthaginians. My Lasombra actually are from Spain, for the most part. (At least the elders.) My Tzimisce are actually from Wallachia. Ancient Hebrew Malkavians.... Sumerian Gangrel.... Greek Toreador.... Byzantine Nosferatu......

Sounds interesting.

What in the name of Set is going on here?

Comment

I usually stick to the metaplot. On the other hand I let my player's characters affect it (sometimes for better, most of the times for worse). Currently I run a game set in the 80's and my player's decisions can lead to Week of Nightmares never happen.

Warrior of the Rainbow
            Saint among the sinners
            Pure among the dirt
            Loser among winners

Comment

with the v5 game i've been running, i've adhered pretty closely to the metaplot BUT! the game has been on a really small scale so the players really haven't had much interaction with the metaplot, at all.

they/them.

Comment

Working...
              X