Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How closely do you adhere to the metaplot?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lysander
    started a topic How closely do you adhere to the metaplot?

How closely do you adhere to the metaplot?

Do you follow the setting of the game precisely? Or do you take some creative liberties like we did with the Sabbat being gone and having the Lasombra joining the Camarilla and or Anarchs and the Tzisimce being an independant clan.

• littlewitchmaus
    replied
    with the v5 game i've been running, i've adhered pretty closely to the metaplot BUT! the game has been on a really small scale so the players really haven't had much interaction with the metaplot, at all.

Leave a comment:

• Nail Eater
    replied
    I usually stick to the metaplot. On the other hand I let my player's characters affect it (sometimes for better, most of the times for worse). Currently I run a game set in the 80's and my player's decisions can lead to Week of Nightmares never happen.

Leave a comment:

• Lysander
    replied
    Originally posted by Legendre View Post

It's hard to pick just one. I've rewritten the entire metaplot from the ground up. I guess the biggest change is in the structure of the clans:

I had every clan be separated from every other clan, starting in a particular time and place in history. They do not have common ancestors in common. Some clans (Gangrel, Setite, Toreador, Malkavian, Brujah) are older -- in some cases significantly older -- than others (Lasombra, Tremere, Nosferatu, Tzimisce, Ventrue). My Ventrue have a "Roman" veneer to them because they were actually Romans. My Brujah have Carthage on their mind because the clan was founded in Carthage by Carthaginians. My Lasombra actually are from Spain, for the most part. (At least the elders.) My Tzimisce are actually from Wallachia. Ancient Hebrew Malkavians.... Sumerian Gangrel.... Greek Toreador.... Byzantine Nosferatu......

Sounds interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Legendre
    replied
    Originally posted by Lysander View Post
    So I take it that many of you a fair amount liberties with the setting. So what was the most dramatic change did you do with your game that ignores the metaplot?

Such as reworking the idea of the True Brujah and there Temporis discipline? That always struck me that would fit better with Mage The Awakening and or Changeling The Lost. I started playing more NWOD when it came onto my radar.
    It's hard to pick just one. I've rewritten the entire metaplot from the ground up. I guess the biggest change is in the structure of the clans:

I had every clan be separated from every other clan, starting in a particular time and place in history. They do not have common ancestors in common. Some clans (Gangrel, Setite, Toreador, Malkavian, Brujah) are older -- in some cases significantly older -- than others (Lasombra, Tremere, Nosferatu, Tzimisce, Ventrue). My Ventrue have a "Roman" veneer to them because they were actually Romans. My Brujah have Carthage on their mind because the clan was founded in Carthage by Carthaginians. My Lasombra actually are from Spain, for the most part. (At least the elders.) My Tzimisce are actually from Wallachia. Ancient Hebrew Malkavians.... Sumerian Gangrel.... Greek Toreador.... Byzantine Nosferatu......

Leave a comment:

• adambeyoncelowe
    replied
    I like a lot of it -- up to Beckett's Jyhad Diary, and some of it after, but not all -- but I've always been pretty fluid with it. I think the metaplot works best when it's vague rumours and conflicting information. Not only does it add to the conspiratorial/legendary nature of the game, but it gives lots of possibilities.

I also like to keep my options open right until the last minute. I may have two or three possible 'truths' in mind when running a game, and only decide on the final one when I see what will be most dramatic in the current game.

Leave a comment:

• blailton
    replied
    I am a slave of it

Leave a comment:

• SetiteFriend
    replied
    Originally posted by Gurkhal View Post
    To mention two of these things, I run the Tremere as existing already in Late Antiquity after they made a deal with the Striges.
    I've thought of doing something similar, as I 100% prefer the Tremere to the Salubri. And possibly also changing them so that their organization was never quite absolute and splinter houses always existed. Thus allowing the Tremere to fit more into niches, like pagan sorcerers and druids without the burden of metaplot.

Leave a comment:

• Gurkhal
    replied
    Right now I'm not GMing due to recovering from an accident. But I'm laying the groundwork in a mish-mash mix between VtR's Requiem for Rome and WtM's stuff for the future.

To mention two of these things, I run the Tremere as existing already in Late Antiquity after they made a deal with the Striges.

And that Julii is the Patrician Roman Clan while the Ventrue get connected with Dorian Greeks and some of the bits north of Greece proper like Epirus and Makedonia, in addition to Dorian Lakedaimon/Sparta. So when Constantinople rose, the Greek Ventrue made it a stronghold for themselves.

Leave a comment:

• monteparnas
    replied
    Originally posted by Rhywbeth View Post
    The Camarilla recognises all 13 clans as members, and always has. Though the independents have negotiated specific clauses in their membership (such as the Promise)
    This is not a dramatic change, this is the metaplot until Revised started to shit on the Cam.

Leave a comment:

• Rhywbeth
    replied
    Uh, preferably never, though I'll adapt something if it interests me. Like; The Sabbat regent is dead and was an infernalist, and the Sabbat are now on the verge of a civil war over the succession. A long term methuselah plot has resulted in the unification of the Hecata (but not as a literal fusion of the bloodlines), and Vienna somehow got destroyed, the Council of Seven is missing, the Pyramid is no longer held by blood bonds and nobody has a clue what happened (although clan Tremere has not splintered the way it did in V5).

I'm here for the core concepts of the setting (13 clans, the sects, the themes of the setting) and making my own characters and stories with it, I'm not interested in being told to play using other people's characters in the stories I'm told to tell. Metaplot is fine for inspiration, but it's not my game. I also tone down the impact of the supernatural on humanity and the global stage. Humanity affects the course of history, vampires mostly just tag along, make a profit off what they're doing, and then claim credit to make themselves look impressive.

So I take it that many of you a fair amount liberties with the setting. So what was the most dramatic change did you do with your game that ignores the metaplot?
    The Camarilla recognises all 13 clans as members, and always has. Though the independents have negotiated specific clauses in their membership (such as the Promise)

Leave a comment:

• Damian May
    replied
    Ignore 99% of it and alter the remaining 1%.

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    Very little. About the closest thing is that if I run a game set in Chicago, then usually the Prince has just been murdered/disappeared/etc. so that the PCs can get in on the ground floor of the new regime.

Leave a comment:

• ElBrotherMouse
    replied
    Re: The WoD as a whole - Aside from the Technocracy (who have to play the long game and herd cats to make sure everything is stable) none of the superbaturals control humanity as much as they think they do. Nope. Not even Pentex. They can capitalize on the shittier parts of human nature, of course, but they have to fight tooth and nail to get direct influence.

Re; Werewolf - There's more Fera out there and the Lost Tribes are still out there, but Garou still did their big fuckups like the Impergium and the War of Rage (just not to as drastic an extent) and are constantly trying to atone for them and many Fera will never let them live it down. Vampires may smell of the Wyrm but are not of the Wyrm.

Re; Hunter - The Messengers will never be known and what they are is irrelevant. Humans with Numina don't proc the Second Sight "THIS BEING AINT RIGHT" sense unless they start dealing with Wyrm/Infernalist stuff.

Leave a comment:

• CajunKhan
    replied

Such as reworking the idea of the True Brujah and there Temporis discipline? That always struck me that would fit better with Mage The Awakening and or Changeling The Lost. I started playing more NWOD when it came onto my radar.
    I haven't used the True Brujah since....maybe a couple of times when they first came out? Like I think...maybe one or two people wanted to play them back when they first came out? I certainly haven't used them this edition, so adapting them has been moot.

In terms of discipline changes, I've made weather-control an Oblivion 5 power, though even that hasn't come up, since no one has gotten to Oblivion five since I started running.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X