Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can women cainites ascend in Mithra's cult?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herr Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkK View Post
    Canon, such as it is, is pretty fickle on the idea of Mithras and sexism. Women are noted as being part of the Cult of Mithras at various points, and Mithras made Anne his seneschal during the Victorian period as much out of respect for her competence as anything (she wasn't a member of the cult, just, y'know, promoting her up that way is not especially the act of a guy who thinks women can't wield power sufficiently, certainly wouldn't explain the way his relationship with Kemintiri is portrayed at various points). Your player isn't really inventing anything out of nothing if they have such expectations.

I mean, you're the ST, do what you want, but there's material to support them just fine.

Thanks for your opinion.
    Indeed, I thought someone would come up with Anne Bowesley, that's why I said in the beginning that the thing is, it's never mentioned (afaik at least) if she had any position in the cult itself. The fact that he trusted her enough to make her a seneschal already speaks a lot for itself, but that's a different territory. Kemintiri was mentioned to be his lover, so that's also a different thing. I mean the player would like to see her as a kind of priest to Mithras, as someone who fervently believes he is a God, etc. So, particularly in his very cult, I think it's very complex, so I still haven't reached a conclusion and this discussion here also serves to help me ponder about the issue at hand.
    In any case, any opinion here is welcomed as I haven't yet decided, I really want to think about all the sides of the issue before making the final decision.

Leave a comment:

• MarkK
    replied
    Canon, such as it is, is pretty fickle on the idea of Mithras and sexism. Women are noted as being part of the Cult of Mithras at various points, and Mithras made Anne his seneschal during the Victorian period as much out of respect for her competence as anything (she wasn't a member of the cult, just, y'know, promoting her up that way is not especially the act of a guy who thinks women can't wield power sufficiently, certainly wouldn't explain the way his relationship with Kemintiri is portrayed at various points). Your player isn't really inventing anything out of nothing if they have such expectations.

I mean, you're the ST, do what you want, but there's material to support them just fine.

Leave a comment:

• Herr Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
    Some vampires can, and do, get over their prejudices from their mortal days. But I think it's more interesting if Mithras did not.
    I have to say that I agree.

Leave a comment:

• AnubisXy
    replied
    Some vampires can, and do, get over their prejudices from their mortal days. But I think it's more interesting if Mithras did not.

Leave a comment:

• Herr Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Reasor View Post
    That's a very good question. Given Mithras' close association with Ancient Rome, I'm inclined to say no, and would probably cast a modern version of the cult as a bastion of misogynist Ventrue looking for a "no girls allowed" social club to make connections in.
    My view is very similar to yours, I think Mithras probably wouldn't allow such a thing. As a have a player, who is a woman (and is, btw, married to another player), I'm anticipating she would probably want to have an important position in his cult (as the player is a "fan" of Mithras, so to speak), but I don't think it's really feasible.
    Last edited by Herr Meister; 05-08-2022, 08:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Reasor
    replied
    That's a very good question. Given Mithras' close association with Ancient Rome, I'm inclined to say no, and would probably cast a modern version of the cult as a bastion of misogynist Ventrue looking for a "no girls allowed" social club to make connections in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X