V5 Boston by Night Announced

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Haquim View Post
    I’ve got the game and the book. I’ve skimmed through it and it seems well done. I’ll try to provide more information soon but I don’t want to spoil the game for myself so I’m a little bit wary of delving into BbN too deeply. One thing I can say is I was expecting a lot of Hecata in the book but didn’t find much at first glance
    Most of the Hecata content was cut from the book before release. These things happen!

Matthew Dawkins
    In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/matthewdawkins

Comment

Speaking a little more of Swansong, that seems to be at least in part the basis of Boston by Night, it seems "100-something" was far from a precise definition of the PCs age - don't know about Emme or Leysha, but found out from another trailer that Galeb at least is a 300-something that was once an age of sail Babary Coast pirate prince.

(What also makes him older than 2/3-3/4 of the kindred cast of Dark Colony, might be said )
      Last edited by Baaldam; 05-19-2022, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post

Most of the Hecata content was cut from the book before release. These things happen!
        Any chance of that information getting published separately?

Comment

Originally posted by omenseer View Post
          Any chance of that information getting published separately?
          No, as fond as I am of much of the cut content (some of my best work, in places), I'll leave it on the floor or amend and repurpose it for other games. For one thing, I believe Paradox owns the material even if it was cut, and for another, releasing it as supplementary material feels like a way of causing confusion regarding canonicity.

Matthew Dawkins
          In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/matthewdawkins

Comment

That's a pity, especially considering how in Nuova Malattia the Giovanni were basically the most powerful clan in Boston.

Anyway I've completed a couple of "missions" in the game. I'll say this. It starts pretty slow and on the surface the plot feels similar to The Fall of London but I'm absolutely loving how they dealt with the beast and the mechanics as implemented help making the experience immersive. I'had played the Council but Swansong seems to be far superior as a game.

Comment

... Considering how much we like our ghost stories, part of me would be disappointed.

I have not read the book but as a New Englander:
              - Between the witch trials, Lovecraft country, and Puritan heritage, Introducing the Order of Moloch would be 100% on point, doubt they did that.
              - Boston has always had a strong connection with Japan and China since the 19th century. Not just Americans with ancestors that came from Asia, but culturally and politically.
              - Also a strong medical community.
              - Not everyone in Boston is Irish, sorry getting drunk on green Guiness at a college bar does not qualify.

Hence, in my games I've always envisioned Boston to be run by a Salubri Archbishop, with mostly ancient Sabbat monsters that give rise to the ghost stories, elder gods, and children of Dagon.

I like that because IRL, Boston is a very safe city for the most part, it has lots of parks and trees, and is very clean. So in the world of darkness its too clean.... and the large college student population and weekend leaf watchers are never missed.

Comment

Working...
              X