Permanent Malleable Visage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permanent Malleable Visage

I am joining a V20 game. First time playing it, decided to play Tzimisce. My question concerns Malleable Visage. It allows you to increase Appearance, but I don't see a 'decaying' mechanic which suggests that the increase is permanent. Yet, a botch calls out a permanent loss of Appearance.
    I think it is suppose to work such that you have indefinite but technically temporary appearance dots. Is that correct?

Additionally and as a separate question: I am taking the Faceless flaw. It says the body changes to be unrecognizable. However, Appearance is not mentioned. Should my temporary dots be lost when I awake? Is that the relevance of them being indefinitely temporary?

I treat it like any Vic change: it heals as aggravated damage. Morever, if your face takes agg damage, when you heal it you undo any changes, so even a successful improvement to your face isn't permanent, not unless you can avoid taking any aggs to the face for the rest of eternity.

Comment

Oddly enough, the Tremere have a ritual that would potentially make this permanent:

Originally posted by Rites of the Blood, Page 23
      Brand
      An enterprising Tremere neonate from Boston once overheard a powerful Brujah named Alighieri wish she could acquire a new tattoo that wouldn’t fade away on the following evening. Curious, he made several trips to the local chantry archives and came across references to a ritual used in France to brand criminals. Considering the dark reputation of the Warlocks, this ritual is surprisingly popular amongst neonates of all Clans, especially Anarchs. The Tremere merely smile and collect the boons.
      Brand allows the thaumaturge to transmute temporary tattoos and other body modifications received post Embrace into a permanent state on the vampire’s body. The thaumaturge does not need to be present at the creation of the tattoo, but the ink must have been imprinted within an hour of the casting of the ritual. After reciting the proper incantations, the caster must slowly spread an ounce of molten silver over the area of skin tattooed.
      Funnily enough, Kulduinic sorcery does Not have an equivalent ritual, meaning a Tsimisce looking to make a Viss Modification permanent would have to swallow their pride and ask a Tremere for help. Given Tzimisce culture and history, most Tsimisce would probably sooner swallow molten lead than imply a Usurper outdid them in blood magic.

Comment

Originally posted by Prometheas View Post
        Funnily enough, Kulduinic sorcery does Not have an equivalent ritual, meaning a Tsimisce looking to make a Viss Modification permanent would have to swallow their pride and ask a Tremere for help. Given Tzimisce culture and history, most Tsimisce would probably sooner swallow molten lead than imply a Usurper outdid them in blood magic.
        I would rather burn in the sun for the next hundred years then admit the Tremere are better than us at anything.

Comment

V20 specifically says modifications are permanent on mortals, ghouls and vampires of higher generation, can be healed by power generation and can always modify oneself, implying permanence until willfully changed. Malleable Visage mentions no exceptions to this. If you roll the successes for increased Appearance, you get to keep them per the description.

Individual STs may decide otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Prometheas View Post
            Oddly enough, the Tremere have a ritual that would potentially make this permanent:
            Of course it is the Tremere. :P

Actually, did the writers presume that Vis was undo whenever you slept? I know Requiem spells it out that each night, your body basically resets to the night of your embrace. That ritual suggests the same is true, but I can't find the source in the rulebook.

Comment

Originally posted by Garygeneric View Post
              V20 specifically says modifications are permanent on mortals, ghouls and vampires of higher generation, can be healed by power generation and can always modify oneself, implying permanence until willfully changed. Malleable Visage mentions no exceptions to this. If you roll the successes for increased Appearance, you get to keep them per the description.

Individual STs may decide otherwise.
              This post came in between me writing the above reply and posting. Thank you for the input; it appears that MV is even more permanent than to which I was going to commit.

Comment

Originally posted by Tabanese View Post
                I know Requiem spells it out that each night, your body basically resets to the night of your embrace. That ritual suggests the same is true, but I can't find the source in the rulebook.
                I believe it was mentioned in revised, which for v20 is still mostly correct. Requiem is a sister line, and is it's own thing now. In requiem you can will the changes to be permanent, so you can keep tattoos and shave your head bald. Turns out shaving your head is the most common change in Requiem btw.

Comment

It's permanent unless you can heal it and choose to do so. Most other cosmetic changes revert at sunset. So if you cut your hair, it grows back. If you get a tattoo, the ink pushes its way out of your skin by sunset.

Writer, publisher, performer
                  Mostly he/his, sometimes she/her IRL https://adam-lowe.com

Comment

Working...
                  X