Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you have the Beckoning and Gehenna War end?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post

I'd probably resolve it by saying that shortly after the Beckoning ritual was started, the Second Inquisition wiped out the faction responsible for it. At this point the ritual is simply pulling Elders to certain areas but there's no reason behind it. Elders feel themselves drawn to kill one another, they do it, and that's it. Whatever the original goal was, it's been lost in the creators Final Death. There's nobody left behind the curtain, no sneaky Antediluvian ready to jump out and scream boo. At some point the ritual stops (maybe the players can be responsible for it) and things start to return to the status quo - elders come back, some vampires are dead, some are stronger for having committed diablere, but by and large the situation is resolved.

I don't really like that but, ehh, best I can do.
    I like this idea. It would actually be kind of funny. Some Thaumaturgists pull off an incredibly powerful ritual, die because some fairly mundane hunters noticed them sacrificing an orphanage, and their ritual become this inspiration for all kinds of hysterics before simply fizzling out anticlimactically.

Comment

Originally posted by Leandro16 View Post
      Antediluvians, elders and methusaleah do not want to destroy the world only dominate it and some are more interested in transcendence.

The few wackos who actually want to dominate the world get ganged upon by the majority who does not.

That does not mean conflict does not exist, it does as the consecuence of power plays but there is no global apocalypsis end of the world scenario programed to happen day X at 3:00 AM

This mirrors my attitude to the 3rd gen. I've always made a plot point that they often have arcane or incomprehensible agendas. As I ran gangrel she's more in interested in the location of the tectonic plates than anything humanity and Kindred do.

Comment

I'm unsure of how I'd handle the Gehenna War ending, itself, but I'd have a lot of elders and even some methuselahs coming back. One great plot point could be that a lot of them want their old positions back and might be unsatisfied with how their childer have handled things in their absence, so they begin embracing new very low generation childer and begin instructing them, poised to take back their old positions.

Comment

Originally posted by CajunKhan View Post
          Let's say you're in charge of the game development, and it is decided that it is time for the Beckoning and Gehenna War to end. A series of books is to be published about the ending and the aftermath, with options for players to assume key roles. What would you do in that job?

Tough question and the only thing I could think off would be a series of shake ups where the most ancient members like Helena, Mithras, Montono, Dracon, and even a few antiduvlians truly being destroyed and many lower level elders and ancilla taking the reins of leadership and becoming even more hidden.

What in the name of Set is going on here?

Comment

I would expect the violent collapse of the Masquerade.

Comment

For my two cents...

I would return to the Kindred of the East concept that the wheel of ages is just on the edge of another rotation. The sixth age which happens post Gehenna will be quite dark and horrible. But eventually the wheel keeps turning, all the way back to first age levels of magic and dimensional cross over.

At first glance this kind of gives a happy ending of sorts to the WoD, until you look at it in "time is a flat circle" True Detective season one kind of way, and then the idea of the entire WoD universe being trapped eternally in an eons long repeating pattern of pain and destruction fits right back with the original idea of the World of Darkness.

Comment

I would do a combination of anti-climatic mundanity and violent end of the Masquerade.

First of all, I'm all for the idea that if you're going to shake up the Status Quo, do it properly. V5's metaplot is frustrating for me in it being so shy of really changing things with the Gehenna War and Second Inquisition, wanting to do the End of The World and Business as Usual in a fairly awkward way.

My take on ending it so would be to do what I think should have been done with its beginning. The Antes are real (to a degree) and are about. There are factions under them (to a degree) with stakes in the war. The Beckoning is powerful, and will have a crescendo before it ends with a bang. The fight will rage and swell, and the Masquerade will implode royally.

But ultimately Gehenna is a self-fulfilling prophecy. No Wrath of God, Vengeance of Caine or Antediluvian Feast, just plain, old people suffering the consequences of the decisions they make to try to avoid those consequences.

So the Antes have been up and about the entire time far before. Some were focused on their own stuff and didn't gave a damn, some were hiding and taking care of their own lives, some still played the Jyhad with varying success, some weren't cited in the legends at all, some were dead, some never existed. But the Gehenna War itself forces them, one by one, to leave their comfort zones as stakes raise, some early on purposefully form armies, others enter the fray as new opportunities arise or it jeopardizes their interests or way of living today. I'm already sure that before the war Arikel is content working for a delivery app somewhere in the world and Absimiliard is a miserable drug addict, [Lasombra] is just dead. Arikel wants the world to not explode, Absimiliard can be driven out of inane self-loathing by coaxing by other parties, [Lasombra] is too busy remaining dead.

The factions do not equate completely with the interest of the Antes. Some are cults, some are mercenaries, some take direct orders and some act by themselves completely. Each relationship is unique and at the end they'll clash in an all-out war that will drag humanity directly. Humanity will weigh more on the final conflict than predicted, as vampires mostly cancel out each other for the most part, although the bulk of any faction would be mortal. This final war redefines the relationship between vampires and humanity, between the factions old and new, as a new Status Quo establishes itself and everyone tries to adapt, hide to fight later, or dies in the final throes of the war.

All the while, the Beckoning does not send Elders to the war. It's actually the opposite. It is a number of distinct effects, some are the Antes calling, most aren't, but all in all it renders Elders unable to effectively weigh in the war, at least for a time, than it makes them into actual warriors, much less generals. Sometimes it is a powerful version of the Summoning from Presence, but just as this power it can only bring the Elder to a place, not coerce behavior, and what they do once they arrive varies greatly, some just going back home after venting their frustration with the lost time, or wandering about feeling too much cheated or humiliated to go back. Sometimes it isn't even one's own Ante Summoning them, and while some joined whomever summoned them, others were ambushed (they may have survived). But something else was responsible for most Beckonings. Other things with their own agendas spirited vampires away for their own struggles, those elders coming back years later with experiences that make them even more alien to their own kin. A Malady of the mind with no traceable source took most, their behavior during the Beckoning erratic half of the time at best, some even became active during the day and slept at night, despite still being harmed by the sun. The Malady subsumes after a varying span of time, some Elders are affected more than once during the course of the war, others are only affected for a few months, and understand nothing of their own behavior in its grasp.

While most of it is a process, the war has a definite, very clearly defined end. As the Elders took by the Malady conclude whatever they were doing, the world feels it. An infinitely intricate magical matrix was built, spanning the entire world with its incoherent pieces. As it is concluded everyone around the world can feel the flux of energy, and stranger events take place. Lights and colors in the sky, sounds in bellows of the earth, mountains crumble or arise, islands sink or raise, some places tremble, some change forms, then it just ceases. After no more than an hour, maybe just a couple minutes, the entire world settles. The events are very real and recorded, but overall the death toll is low and many changes revert. Not all, though. It is enough to convince most participants that the war is over, and for the time being adapting to this new life is the order of the day, and investigating whatever just happened is the next pressing goal.

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
                #AutismPride
                She/her pronouns

Comment

[Brujah] finally, after millennia of lying dormant within Troile, finally resurrects from within Carthage, uses its Level 10 Temporis ability, and resets time to 1998.

Comment

Originally posted by Hades View Post
                    [Brujah] finally, after millennia of lying dormant within Troile, finally resurrects from within Carthage, uses its Level 10 Temporis ability, and resets time to 1998.
                    Isn't Hollywood and world events already doing that by turning the clock back to the 1980s?

Comment

Originally posted by Thoth View Post

Isn't Hollywood and world events already doing that by turning the clock back to the 1980s?
                      >World events
                      1890's, you mean?

Comment

In my game it was the 31st of December 1990 and my players and I are loving it..As a side effect of time traveling shenanigans, Vicissitude, Infernalism and a few other plot problems dissapeared and nobody is missing them

Comment

>World events
                          1890's, you mean?
                          No, I mean the 1980s.

spike in US violent crime rates
                          Russia getting uppity with NATO
                          Russia invading a foreign country and getting bogged down
                          Hollywood greenlighting endless remakes and reboots from the 80s
                          Current day Covid vs. the 80s HIV proliferation
                          80s gay movement recognition vs. the gender identity politics of today

Hmm, I guess time really is a flat circle after all....

Either that or Billy Joel - We Didn't Start the Fire should now be considered equal parts historical account and prophetic guideline.

Comment

I had some time to think on how I would handle the Beckoning. First off I would have the Gangrel, Ministry, Ravnos like the Hecate immune to the Beckoning and take advantage of the confusion to stake claims on any assets to make there unlives better. The next thing is that the Antidulivans are calling there clans for judgement and intend to consume the ones they find totally unworthy of the blood. They spare the ones that they still have strong fond feelings for and maybe give them an edge for being such worthy members. The others that they find worthy of a second chance at all are given a total mindwipe and think they are neonates and find themselves with the minimum blood potency of their generation of that age requires. I still have the notion that long standing ancients like Mithras, Helena, and even Montano suffer final death.

What in the name of Set is going on here?

Comment

This reminds me of the Transylvania Chronicles where the War of the Princes, the Burning Times, the Anarch Revolt, the fall of Lasombra and Tzimisce founders, the formation of Camarilla, and the diablerie and usurpation of Cappadocius and his Clan by Giovanni. All this damn chaos, involving Antes and a lot of hell. And the book doesn't give two shits. Well, it is faulty as hell Chronicle, but is somehow shows that sometimes, these world changing events if they don't affect directly, they might as well not have existed.
                              Quite a downer I think.
                              But it kind of makes me thing of terrorist attacks and wars. If it doesn't happen in your city, maybe it just didn't happen, it mostly depends of the news. If some products just become pricier, there are new regulations on airport that are a bore, and you see military trucks and recruitment propaganda more often, well something is up, but probably doesn't matter or you can't deduct what it is.

Of course, when there is Antes involved, that can make all of their kin suffer, then everyone may feel it.
                              I think it is an option, but in case you don't want to, it won't change the world, just some rules and relations here and there I imagine. Which brings me back to Transylvania Chronicles, where in the end you could launch nuclear bombs and release god-like Demons. But hell, nobody is the wiser in the metaplot, for good or bad, for shame or relief.

Strange... When coincidence seems too convenient, I prefer to call it fate.

-Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain d=

Comment

Working...
                              X