Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [V20] Question About Retainers

I recently hear about this line in the Retainer Background (page 116):
    (If the player and Storyteller agree, a player may create a more competent single Retainer by combining more points in this Background, putting more eggs in one basket, as the saying goes.)
    After hearing about this, I searched the book and found nothing. I searched more of V20 and V20 Dark Ages. I found that Dark Ages Companion has some rules for this, but they also upend everything I thought I knew about retainers up to this point.

So now I have a question, were there guidelines in previous editions for making more "competent" retainers? I'm mostly curious as to why this was added with no way to capitalize on it outside of homebrew.

Don't Retainers have rankings?

Like One Dot Retainers vs Five Dot Retainers?

Comment

Originally posted by Father Enoch View Post
      Don't Retainers have rankings?

Like One Dot Retainers vs Five Dot Retainers?
      Yes, but V20 only mentions each rank gives you 1 retainer. That's it.

Comment

Oh, I thought the Rank reflected the capabilities of the Retainer and you could just take it multiple times.

Comment

Originally posted by Father Enoch View Post
          Oh, I thought the Rank reflected the capabilities of the Retainer and you could just take it multiple times.

Judging from the wording of this section, it can be that. However, what the guideline for that is not in the corebook.

Comment

I see. I just downloaded the V20 book to see for myself.

That is WEIRD. I get that Retainers are supposed to be NPCs, but the way it's written is VERY limited, especially compared to Requiem.

Score another point for the New Coke of Vampire Role Playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Vilenecromancer View Post
              I recently hear about this line in the Retainer Background (page 116):

After hearing about this, I searched the book and found nothing. I searched more of V20 and V20 Dark Ages. I found that Dark Ages Companion has some rules for this, but they also upend everything I thought I knew about retainers up to this point.

So now I have a question, were there guidelines in previous editions for making more "competent" retainers? I'm mostly curious as to why this was added with no way to capitalize on it outside of homebrew.
              It's slightly more expanded on in DAV (p157). It gives a very rough outline for basic retainers, above average retainers, and remarkable retainers.
              Last edited by MalleusXXIII; 06-29-2022, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MalleusXXIII View Post

It's slightly more expanded on in DAV (p157). It gives a very rough outline for basic retainers, above average retainers, and remarkable retainers.
                Awesome! This looks like the possible origin of this unfinished v20 mech. However, do you know if there is an even older guidelines like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Vilenecromancer View Post

However, do you know if there is an even older guidelines like this?
                  Sorry, haven't seen it discussed/expanded on elsewhere.

Comment

I always just assumed that you could use Backgrounds like Status (or maybe Allies?) as a proxy. So a single two-dot retainer would be the retainer-equivalent of an ancilla. But I'd never spotted the DAV rules before, and those seem straightforward enough.

Writer, publisher, performer
                    Mostly he/his, sometimes she/her IRL https://adam-lowe.com

Comment

Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post
                      I always just assumed that you could use Backgrounds like Status (or maybe Allies?) as a proxy. So a single two-dot retainer would be the retainer-equivalent of an ancilla. But I'd never spotted the DAV rules before, and those seem straightforward enough.
                      V20 Dark Ages Companion also has rules for it. However, it came long after V20 was originally published so.

Comment

Working...
                      X