basic questions about Amalgams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basic questions about Amalgams

I was rereading the rules after quite some time because I might get a go at being a Storyteller and I am slightly confused about the details of how Amalgams work. In particular:

1) are they extra powers, like the combo disciplines in the VtM 20th anniversary or Dark ages, or they simply open an additional choice when a player reaches that level? (for example, is Unliving hive a separate power or it's a third choice for Animalism 3, in addition to the standard Quell the beast and Animal succulence, reserved for those characters that have Obfuscate 2)

2) do they belong to one Discipline or both in terms of moment of choosing? in the example above, Unliving hive is just an Animalism level 3 choice for those who have Obfuscate 2, or also an Obfuscate 2 choice for those who have Animalism 3?
    (I assume it's the former, but the manual saying "For the purpose of type and other classification these powers count as belonging to both Disciplines." is confusing me)

Thanks!

1. Additional Choice

2. In the discipline they are listed under only

Comment

It's as SF says.
      Have fun waiting to buy the X-2 power you really want in your second spot because you need Y-4 first and have ideas on what you want for x3,4 and 5: things aren't flexible, get it right the first time.

Planning builds is what V5 is now all about.

Throw me/White wolf some money with Quietus: Drug Lord, Poison King
      There's more coming soon. Pay what ya want.

Comment

Not to mention that some alamgams could require that your character have a certain amount of blood potency to learn. For example Montano of the Lasmobra clan can't teach you all he knows about the Obtenration discipline due to the weakness of your generation.

What in the name of Set is going on here?

Comment

Just a side addendum:

You don't have to buy an Amalgam (or any other Discipline power) at it's rating. If the Amalgam is Animalism 3, you can buy it at Animalism 3, 4, or 5. So if you don't have Obfuscate 2 yet, or your Blood Potency is too low, you can wait for later.

Though, as MWIS notes, planning is still important here.

Comment

Originally posted by SetiteFriend View Post
            1. Additional Choice

2. In the discipline they are listed under only
            yeah, makes sense. So they're not exactly like the Combo Disciplines after all... your Disciplines powers will always be the total amount of dots you have in Disciplines and not one more, whereas Combos were basically extras.

Number 2 seemed rather obvious to me but why saying that it counts as belonging to two disciplines then?

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
              Just a side addendum:

You don't have to buy an Amalgam (or any other Discipline power) at it's rating. If the Amalgam is Animalism 3, you can buy it at Animalism 3, 4, or 5. So if you don't have Obfuscate 2 yet, or your Blood Potency is too low, you can wait for later.

Though, as MWIS notes, planning is still important here.
              I don't get the Blood Potency reference... it doesn't include a cap on Discipline level, does it?

And I haven't seen amalgams that require a specific level of BP in the core book, unless I overlooked something.

Comment

There isn't one in the core book. I'm not sure if there is one yet, but it's certainly something that's been used in the past (older VtM and VtR) to help restrict higher level powers without inflating other numbers.

Comment

There isn't any power restricted by BP, Lysander just took a quote out of context. The loresheet merit it is from, talks about how your Blood is too weak to learn all powers of oblivion, but the merit allows you to use one you don't have, once per story.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, that merit does allow you to in effect learn all the powers of Oblivion, you're just limited in only being able to use one that you haven't bought in any given story. But that choice doesn't lock you into only using that power forever, you can pick another in the next story.

Comment

I figure its a strong possibilty that the blood potency will be used to limit power gamers.

What in the name of Set is going on here?

Comment

Working...
                      X