Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does the Lasombra's technology roll represent them doing, anyway?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does the Lasombra's technology roll represent them doing, anyway?

Like if they try to use a cell-phone, does the roll represent them taking it apart and putting it back together? Something else?

I got the impression it's basically a luck roll, maybe tapping it or switching it on or off.

.....its a really badly written flaw

Comment

They may be able to observe somewhat precisely how computers fail them and apply alternative methods to work around the problems. So they might do strange things like connecting keyboards to their phones just to unlock, navigate and dial or use patches for the operating system that nobody else needs to avoid certain processes. That might include customising the hardware, as you described.
      It is a badly written flaw.

Although it's a little funny how when I tried to post this, I got the "missing human verification information" message. That does kind of sound like a description of a lot of Lasombra tech problems, even though that's how this website usually works, whatever it means.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragged Robin View Post
        .....its a really badly written flaw
        This is a true statement.

Comment

It really depends on the situation and what do you do:
          • You may push through a malfunctioning touchscreen by keeping going at it with a Resolve + Technology test;
          • You figure out that if you hold the phone a certain distance from you, you are actually intelligible, Wits + Technology ;
          • You turn it off and on again, change some settings, and the effect of the Bane seems to temporarily diminish, Intelligence + Technology;
          • You keep talking, remaining calm and talking at a pace people will understand even if it partially glitches, Composure + Technology;
          • You hit it hard enough that it starts working again, Strength + Technology.
          The last one depending on how serious the game is.

Comment

I don't see why they need a "flaw" in V5. They degenerate using their signature discipline, which also sucks, and their other disciplines are the hardest hit by the new edition. Add to that their political situation and they're easily the most shafted clan in the game even before tech problems.

Throw me/White wolf some money with Quietus: Drug Lord, Poison King
            There's more coming soon. Pay what ya want.

Comment

The Storyteller System has always had its Traits be as broadly applicable as possible. The system breaks down if you treat it as an actual skill or discipline. "Drive" for example includes anything to do with automotives. It includes driving them, repairing them, detailing them, designing them, etc. Yet in real life, these are all different things and being highly skilled in one of them does not necessarily mean you are equally skilled in others. It is just a limitation of the system. It's not designed for crunch, but to quickly resolve narrating the scene and moving on.

As such, Technology just means "relevant to all things technological." As Ragged Robin suggested, in this case it is best considered to simply be a luck roll. How that plays out in the actual scene requires the ST and/or PC to decide what it means, and the suggestions given by SetiteFriend work well as some potential resolutions.

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifeIsScary View Post
                I don't see why they need a "flaw" in V5. They degenerate using their signature discipline, which also sucks, and their other disciplines are the hardest hit by the new edition. Add to that their political situation and they're easily the most shafted clan in the game even before tech problems.
                They should have just stuck with old clan flaw people seem to forget lasombra we're more vulnerable to sunlight, just ramp that up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragged Robin View Post

They should have just stuck with old clan flaw people seem to forget lasombra we're more vulnerable to sunlight, just ramp that up.
                  Probably because that was only a thing in Dark Ages

Comment

Originally posted by SetiteFriend View Post

Probably because that was only a thing in Dark Ages
                    And revised on although I can't remember v20 on the fly.
                    Last edited by Ragged Robin; 08-27-2022, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Sunlight weakness isn't relevant 99.99% of the time, and when it is, you're dead. Besides the FoS weakness does it better and I wouldn't sacrifice the FoS for the Lasombra. I think... hmm. Come up with a better FoS weakness and I'd consider it.

The no-reflection rule... If you're in a wet climate in a modern city, it's devastating when you think long and hard about it. But say you lived in a dry place like egypt before glass and mirrors were put on every street, it'll never come up beyond the weird factor discrimination /tipped off hunters exploiting it to find you.

Throw me/White wolf some money with Quietus: Drug Lord, Poison King
                      There's more coming soon. Pay what ya want.

Comment

Summoning forth their tech minion to do it for them?

Exalted Whose Name is Carved in Leaves of Jade

Senator of the Greater Chamber

Comment

I have a Lasombra PC who got a Ghoul retainer specifically for this purpose. She works his cell phone, grooms him and does all the usual traditional tasks of a Lasombra ghoul.

Comment

It represents the Lasombra in tear of frustration begin for whatever gods of technology out there who so thoroughly cursed the clan to just let them use the damn phone.

Or maybe plunging the equipment in a hole to the Abyss and trying to hit the Tech-Savvy Old One that will operate it for their sake.

Maybe it is their now-existing reflection that has to operate the device and they roll to see if they can instruct the dumb reflection through the process.

New Oblivion power: Fingers of the Abyss. They're like the Arms of the Abyss, but they're actually weak yet dexterous enough to use a phone from afar. They developed it since Oblivion became a thing, so this body of shadows contains the deceased soul of someone who died while working at tech-support.

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
                            #AutismPride
                            She/her pronouns

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifeIsScary View Post
                              Also thanks to the fusion of Necromancy and Obtenebration in V5 the Giovanni/Hecata has access to a similar discipline spread and they have a more workable weakness so the clan not only was nerfed but also left obsolete

https://www.deviantart.com/cicerondixit/gallery

Comment

Working...
                              X