Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does the Lasombra's technology roll represent them doing, anyway?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leandro16 View Post

Also thanks to the fusion of Necromancy and Obtenebration in V5 the Giovanni/Hecata has access to a similar discipline spread and they have a more workable weakness so the clan not only was nerfed but also left obsolete
    They shared two disciplines in previous editions. It's two with the suggested Giovanni substitution and one with the Cappadocian default.

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer from The Hills View Post
      They shared two disciplines in previous editions. It's two with the suggested Giovanni substitution and one with the Cappadocian default.
      But Necromancy and Obtenebration are completely different disciplines

Comment

Originally posted by Leandro16 View Post

Also thanks to the fusion of Necromancy and Obtenebration in V5 the Giovanni/Hecata has access to a similar discipline spread and they have a more workable weakness so the clan not only was nerfed but also left obsolete
        I'd say the Lasombra have more to them than just a discipline.

Comment

Originally posted by Microcuchon View Post

But Necromancy and Obtenebration are completely different disciplines
          They were in previous editions, but they still shared Dominate and Potence. If you treat them as different disciplines in V5, they only have Dominate (sometimes) in common. Well, that, lower humanity and Italians.
          It does bring Lamia and Nagaraja a bit closer to the Lasombra spread, but I can't see many players narrowing their character concept down to a choice between one of those and Lasombra.

Comment

Originally posted by SetiteFriend View Post
            I'd say the Lasombra have more to them than just a discipline.
            They do, but that doesn't help from a design standpoint.

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
            #AutismPride
            She/her pronouns

Comment

Dominate and Potence are some of the worst-hit of V5. Auspex and Fortitude fare better. Oblivion also sucks. The real bane of Lasombra in V5 is not having any strength. Which is ironic because they were such a virile, overcompensating, strong willed, darwinistic clan. Put in another way, they were a Potent and Dominating clan/ Now they're utterly pathetic. and to top it off they need a babysitter to take their sensitive calls for them. Feels like the writers really have it out for the clan.

Throw me/White wolf some money with Quietus: Drug Lord, Poison King
              There's more coming soon. Pay what ya want.

Comment

I haven't read the Lasombra in V5, so can anyone explain their weakness, re: technology. From what I have heard, they can't use touchscreens for reasons, but is there anything preventing them from using a stylus or equavilant?

Freelance Writer and Storyteller's Vault contributor. Find my work here: http://www.storytellersvault.com/ind...liate_id=17903

Comment

Originally posted by Jackob View Post
                  I haven't read the Lasombra in V5, so can anyone explain their weakness, re: technology. From what I have heard, they can't use touchscreens for reasons, but is there anything preventing them from using a stylus or equavilant?
                  https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/La...#Fifth_Edition

Fifth Edition

Bane

Distorted Image: The broken souls of Lasombra vampires are halfway drawn into the Abyss. All reflections and recordings distort, flicker, or become transparent (though this does not conceal their identity with any certainty). Microphones have the same difficulty with the vampire's voice as cameras have with their image, touch technology becomes unresponsive at best, and their anomalous nature makes it harder to avoid electronic detection systems. With effort they may overcome this difficulty but it’s as if they exist on a slightly different frequency to other beings, flickering in and out of light. Many Lasombra have attendants to handle technology for them, but a few strange beasts manage without.

So, a standard stylus for your phone works by extending your bodies natural electrical field that the phone screen reacts to down through the stylus. It therefore follows that if your body can't make a touch screen work with its finger then its unlikely to be able to make it work with a stylus. Though I guess a lasombra might get a 'battery operated' stylus that provides its own electrical field developed or something, maybe?

Exalted Whose Name is Carved in Leaves of Jade

Senator of the Greater Chamber

Comment

The mechanical effect is somewhat open to interpretation:

"Similarly, modern technology relying on touch or other form of direct interaction tends to glitch or simple act unresponsive to Magisters"

"Use of modern communication technology, including making a simple phone call, requires a Technology test at Difficulty 2 + Bane Severity as microphones have similar problems with the voice of a Lasombra as cameras with their image. Avoiding electronic vampire detection systems is also done at a penalty equal to Bane Severity."

That surely prevents them from using touch screens with their fingertips, but I don't know what "direct interaction" means. The protagonist of Shadows of New York has computers glitching out just by being near them. But then she could see ghosts, step between shadows a year and use Potence and Dominate within two nights of her embrace. A more generous interpretation might allow interaction using mechanical keyboards, but that would make a large part of their bane having to live like a person in 2011.
                    Last edited by Spencer from The Hills; 08-28-2022, 05:57 PM.

Comment

I hope they give this section another revision for clarity when putting together the player’s guide.

The intent is fairly clear: Lasombra don’t register as being entirely *there* to cameras, microphones and haptic touchscreens, so those things tend to glitch when they use them, becoming unresponsive. But they can roll to sort of *will* them to function for the moment (as is often the case with such technology, even for us mortals).

That much is fair enough, but the vague use of the term “technology” in the surrounding text to refer to these specific interactions has led to some pretty wild interpretations that were clearly not intended.
                      Last edited by Black Flag; 08-28-2022, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Modern touchscreen doesn't use pressure, they use body heat and/or impedance, the later being increasingly the more common.

Whatever the case is, the intention is for the Lasombra to have a hard time interacting with technology as their Bane because somehow the most classic not having a reflection (that now they totally have, even if it is a weird one) isn't enough.

Curiously they also are a Camarilla clan, now, and the Camarilla also forbids technology anyways, so you have a Bane that makes you a prime candidate to be a law-abiding citizen of irreproachable character. Like a true Lasombra, I guess.

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
                        #AutismPride
                        She/her pronouns

Comment

The point isn't technology per se, but communications technology, or anything that directly captures your image, be it voice, image or contact.

It's not expressly clear in text, and different mediums do it differently. But being the supernatural Amish wasn't the goal.

Comment

I'm curious how it worked in previous eras. A friend of mine was joking about it last night

Caine-"la sori ambra in like 4000 years they're going to invent this thing called a TV and then you'll know what's what....Next on the list is malkav."

Comment

Originally posted by monteparnas View Post
                              Whatever the case is, the intention is for the Lasombra to have a hard time interacting with technology as their Bane because somehow the most classic not having a reflection (that now they totally have, even if it is a weird one) isn't enough.
                              In previous editions they had no reflection and didn’t show up at all on cameras. So basically free Obfuscate when it came to security systems. Now they show up but are conspicuously glitchy, which is a proper weakness, and having a hard time with their iPads is just an extrapolation of that, which seems to be more for flavor than anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Flag View Post

In previous editions they had no reflection and didn’t show up at all on cameras. So basically free Obfuscate when it came to security systems. Now they show up but are conspicuously glitchy, which is a proper weakness, and having a hard time with their iPads is just an extrapolation of that, which seems to be more for flavor than anything.
                                Depends on the camera, digital cameras tended to record them fine as I recall. (Which is how I ran them).

I got the impression v5 was trying to give them an ethereal otherworldly thing, as though they're slightly out of sync with reality. Since v5 had the idea of clan as archetypes rather cultures.

Comment

Working...
                                X