Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little known fact - Vampires can't get drunk off of one alcoholic person.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little known fact - Vampires can't get drunk off of one alcoholic person.

When I saw this on io9, I immediately thought of Vampire. Here's the article:

http://io9.com/could-you-get-drunk-b...-pe-1582649107

In the article, they stated that Xkcd's What if page tackled the alcoholic blood and said two things:

1. A mortal drinking blood would immediately vomit said blood.

2. If you were a vampire, you wouldn't even get a buzz.

I wonder if it's the same if a vampire drinks the blood of a drug user as well, but this is definitely informative.

What do you guys think?

There was a bit of minutia in the Vampire core that says exactly that:drink the blood of a human who is under the influence of a drug and you feel the effects. I don't think it went into mechanics like 1 point of blood being like taking a dose, but it is stated vampires can feel the effects of drugs through the blood.

I ask for so little. Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your slave.
    -Jareth, Goblin King

Comment

Don't forget, in VtM the act of feeding isn't a strictly physical act. The blood is just a vector for absorbing vitae. So as such, vampires aren't necessarily picking up substances in the blood so much as the living state of the person from which they're feeding at the time.

That's also why vampires can contract, carry, and spread diseases (as per the relevant flaw) that aren't blood-borne.

Comment

They are not absorbing nutrients from blood but rather the Quintessence to power their undead state (Mages can draw it from the blood too).

Basically, It's Magic, I Ain't Gotta Explain Shit stuff.

“I am absolute, I am perfect, I am supreme. I shall be eternal. My tragedy, is that there is no other fate for me. My powerlessness was that I couldn’t subjugate my journey to the gods, while dreaming of rebirth at the end of distant time, like other pharaohs.” Ramesses II, Fate/Prototype: Argent Fragments.

Comment

The original post if anyone wants to read it: http://what-if.xkcd.com/98/

Comment

I'd like to disagree, but first disclaimer: I'm not intelligent nor a scientist. But I believe that, unlike vampires, mortals have to process the alcohol in the blood through the liver first, which in turn means less and less alcohol. A portion gets filtered out.

Vampires on the other hand don't have these organs, let alone a working stomach, so XKCD's theory of less alcohol present after consumption doesn't apply.

What should be asked is, would a transfusion of a drunk person make you drunk.

Comment

Actually page 301 details the rules for getting high off of intoxicated mortals.

Comment

Originally posted by Theodrim View Post
                Don't forget, in VtM the act of feeding isn't a strictly physical act. The blood is just a vector for absorbing vitae. So as such, vampires aren't necessarily picking up substances in the blood so much as the living state of the person from which they're feeding at the time.

That's also why vampires can contract, carry, and spread diseases (as per the relevant flaw) that aren't blood-borne.
                This is it exactly.

In Mage there is a Rote (spell) that lets you feel the mental effects of a substance on your own terms by just holding it.
                ​One of the Derangements for Vampire is Sanguinary Animism.
                Vampires normally have something going on that is between these two points that causes the effect.

"Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past."
                "If that's true, then Wisdom is knowing you'll be an idiot in the future."
                "And Common Sense is knowing that you should try not to be an idiot NOW."
                -Questionable Content 976

Comment

Actually, they can get some effects, when they drink blood from persons
                  who consumed alcohol, used drugs, their blood is poisoned and if they have salmonella.

In the Revised Edition it says "they might receive a vicarious buzz",
                  the V20 removes the words "they might".

If the human had drunk alcohol and a Vampire drinks that blood,
                  its Intelligence and Dexterity are affected for every two drinks of that blood,
                  in the mechanics, a Vampire must subtract one die from those dice pools, for every two drinks.

In Hunter: The Reckoning, if the Hunter drinks alcohol, that has a major effect,
                  it affects the Hunter's Perception, Intelligence, Dexterity and Wits,
                  other drugs also have a bigger effect on them, in VTM, it's explained
                  drugs are far less effective on Vampires, than they are on Humans,
                  In the end, Vampires can vicariously experience those sensations, but not at the same level

BTW, if most of time, they intentionally drink that kind of blood, they are called Lushes and Heads,
                  but unlike humans, it's almost impossible that vampires get addicted to any substance.

You can find the other effects on VTM Revised Edition, page 231 and VTM V20, page 301.

Comment

but unlike humans, it's almost impossible that vampires get addicted to any substance.
                    Why there is addiction flaw then?

“I am absolute, I am perfect, I am supreme. I shall be eternal. My tragedy, is that there is no other fate for me. My powerlessness was that I couldn’t subjugate my journey to the gods, while dreaming of rebirth at the end of distant time, like other pharaohs.” Ramesses II, Fate/Prototype: Argent Fragments.

Comment

Originally posted by Katsura View Post

Why there is addiction flaw then?
                      There's some amount of ST discretion on how easy it is for a vampire to gain an addiction.

Addiction is a somewhat common real-life problem. There could be many reasons for wanting to include it in one's story. Having the Flaw in the core book is useful tool for that.

Demon Cat

Illuminated Dark Ages character sheets and more

Comment

ROFL at the xkcd link's "You know the gallon challenge? Why don't we try it with-" "-NO."

I agree with the posters who prefer to explain it away as a mystic rather than physiological process. I mean, the alternative is not letting vampires get drunk/high, and that's a totally neat concept.

Blood and Bourbon, my New Orleans-based Vampire chronicle.

Comment

Working...
                        X