Expanded Cappadocian Splats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expanded Cappadocian Splats

One of the changes I'm making to the Capps as I work on Clanbook: Cappadocian Revised v2 is to split the Clan into several geopolitical groupings. The European Cappadocians are basically the ones presented in DA:V, but there are other groups. To flesh out the four major non-European groups, I'm writing simple two-page spreads for them. These will be included in the CBR:Capp appendix, but they're being written early on in the process so I can refer to them for ideas later. So far, I've written two: the Egyptian and the Middle Eastern branches of the Clan. I'll update this post with the other two groups as they're finished. The Europeans do have their own name: the Dimanes, but it fell out of use after the fall of the Western Roman Empire. They're just "the Cappadocians" as far as most Europeans are concerned. Europe's all that really matters, after all, right?

As with all my CBR:Capp material, I welcome comments, critiques and suggestions. Most of these groups are not 'bloodlines', they're just different cultural and political factions of the Clan. Kinda like the Ventrue and the Danava.

Middle Eastern Cappadocians: the Assuri
    Egyptian Cappadocians: the Shezmu
    African Cappadocians: the Ganen
    Asian Cappadocians: the Gallu

European Cappadocians: the Dimanes

Revised Lamia

EDIT: Added the Ganen.
    EDIT 2: Added the Gallu.
    EDIT 3: Added the Dimanes.
    EDIT 4: Added the Lamia.
    Last edited by Telgar; 01-10-2014, 12:35 AM.

I'm a professor! Why is no one listening to me?!

Just posted the Gallu, finishing up first drafts for the four major non-European branches of the Cappadocians. I'm re-imagining the Lamia as well, but I don't know if I'll bother to write a splat for them. I don't have any plans to write one for the Giovani, I'd rather wait and see what DAV20 gives us.

I personally don't enjoy unplayable splats very much, but I do have to say that out of all four of these splats, only the Shezmu really lend themselves to player characters. The Gallu are foreign wanderers that don't have much motivation to create new vampires. The Ganen are extraordinarily nasty, even for vampires, and fiercely territorial. Even the Assuri, who are basically a boiled-down version of DA:V's death-obsessed scholars, don't make for great PC's because they're all busy living in morbid little monasteries scattered through Anatolia.

Maybe the Dimanes, the European branch, do deserve a splat of their own. They're the really playable ones, and maybe folks would find a simple splat more accessible than reading an entire Clanbook just to get a grasp on how the Cappadocians have changed? Any thoughts?

Comment

When you say re-imagining the Lamia, you mean like completely redoing the bloodline's origin and general motivation, or what?

I know that Dark Ages Revised (as much as it is my favorite White Wolf setting) pretty much made Lhianan very hard to play in a game (and in a mobile game completely impossible! So I am a bit worried when people say 'reimagining' XD

Also, did love the branches of Capadocian Clan. The more intelectual the Clan, the more I like to see those details show up! Thanks for posting too!

IA

Comment

Don't worry, I'm not turning the Lamia into vampire-dryads or anything. In fact, I already brought that up with MachineIV and he's said they're gunna work on not doing that to the Lhiannan in DAV20. As for what I am planning with the Lamia, I still have to hammer that out exactly. I know in general that I'm stripping away a lot of the Noddist/Bible stuff from the Cappadocians and their friends, but the Lamia are still very vague. I'll be working on that sections soon, though.

Comment

Well, I take you are keeping their connection to Lilith and their 'destiny' relationship with the Capadocian Clan? I mean, aside from being warrior-witches (and some warlocks, apparently) that adore Lilith, they could use tons of upgrades! I kinda like their proximity to Lilith, even if they seem to be lacking a Path to follow (Humanity doesn't quite fit them, from their descriptions, unless the Road of Humanity is tied to Lilith somehow, which would be mind boggling).

IA

Comment

I'm scaling back considerably the "destiny" aspect and making their relationship to "Lilith" a lot more generalized and less "they have tea with her on weekends".

Comment

Hahaha, I think it's a good approach!

I like it that the characters have to struggle with matters of faith instead of being Embraced and insta-knowing 'The Truth'. So RPing a young Lamia unravelling the mysteries of her lineage now should be far cooler! Awesome =)

IA

Comment

I decided to add a splat about the Dimanes, Cappadocians native to Europe via Greece, Rome and Etruria. While they represent, generally, the "base" Cappadocians, there are some significant differences due to a lot of the weirder, crazier parts of the Clan being shifted off into the other branches like the Assuri. So rather than make people read the entier CBR:Cappadocian, I figure a splat is probably a good way to introduce them.

Comment

bump? i was hoping for comments

Comment

I'll give them a second read through when I've got some more time, but everything I've read seems good so far! I'm looking forward to seeing more from the clanbook.

Comment

Made some editing passes tonight. Mostly tightening up phrasing, but also trying to focus the Dimanes a bit more tightly and pull back the amount of metaplottery in the intro paragraphs. Those should be full of relevant information for players. It's so tempting to get caught up in background and history when your focus should be on making the group more playable and enticing.

Comment

I added my revision of the Lamia to the original post. Also I've made some updates to the Assuri and Dimanes, along with minor fix-up passes on the others.

Feedback and comments encouraged and welcome, as always.

Comment

The write-ups are really good, inspiring stuff.

One question, the Assuri and Shezmu seem quite similar at first glance, do they principally differ in their attitudes/motivations?

Comment

The Assuri are cloistered mystics, single-mindedly focused on gathering knowledge and advancing their power. The Shezmu are socially engaged, acting as a vital part of their mortal community.

Comment

Makes sense. Really nice work.

Comment

Working...
                              X