Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Blood Potency and Age Mechanics in Masquerade (House Rule)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Blood Potency and Age Mechanics in Masquerade (House Rule)

I really like the Blood Potency (age, fog, etc.) mechanic from Requiem. If anyone has hacked this into Masquerade can you share how you've done that?

It's pretty easy to drop it in whole cloth. If you're using first edition Requiem, the blood expenditures and blood pools are almost the same as the progression for Generation (subtract Generation from 14 to determine the equivalent). Second edition Requiem has a faster progression for how much blood you can spend in a turn.

Torpor is determined by Humanity/Path in Masquerade, whereas in Requiem it's a base duration set by Humanity, multiplied by Blood Potency. Either system would work as is, though the base durations in Requiem (1st and 2nd ed.) are different from Masquerade.

In the end, this doesn't require a lot of alterations of the mechanics; you'd just have to decide if you preferred Blood Potency from first or second ed. Requiem. The Fog of Eternity was more of a setting element than a hard fast rule (though it does have mechanics in The Blood: The Player's Guide to the Requiem), and it's not really a specific concept in the second edition of VTR.

The potentially tricky thing for this would be if you wanted to keep the idea of Generation. Either that could just be a vague idea that Cainites believe in, because it makes them seem more important for being closer to Caine, or Generation could be what determines Blood Pool, whereas Blood Potency could determine expenditures.

There's also an official Vampire Translation Guide that discusses this subject, though it more less says it's easy to port.

;
    Last edited by Yossarian; 10-13-2014, 05:20 PM.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
    Podcast: The Breakup, a podcast about destroying the things you love by giving them away

Comment

Thank you. I found a neat post (can't remember where). that made Generation a merit. It represented your connection to the mythical eldest vampire (cain, etc.). It gave you status and a few other things and some small additional potency.

Comment

Hah! That was my merit. ; )

VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
        Podcast: The Breakup, a podcast about destroying the things you love by giving them away

Comment

There is a little nod I noticed in DA20 manuscript in the form of a rumor that the blood may thicken with age.

“I am absolute, I am perfect, I am supreme. I shall be eternal. My tragedy, is that there is no other fate for me. My powerlessness was that I couldn’t subjugate my journey to the gods, while dreaming of rebirth at the end of distant time, like other pharaohs.” Ramesses II, Fate/Prototype: Argent Fragments.

Comment

Yey. Digging on that.

Oh - the hack I found for generation was that it's a Merit (1-5). Dots give you a reduced XP cost for purchasing blood potency, and also a status/emotional effect vs. other vampires of lower generation.

Comment

Originally posted by Demon15 View Post
              Yey. Digging on that.

Oh - the hack I found for generation was that it's a Merit (1-5). Dots give you a reduced XP cost for purchasing blood potency, and also a status/emotional effect vs. other vampires of lower generation.
              Ooo, then it probably wasn't the one I came up with, then. That's a similar take on what I did, though.

Comment

Now that merit probably should give an extra beat (or more) when purchasing Blood Potency instead of reducing cost directly.

“I am absolute, I am perfect, I am supreme. I shall be eternal. My tragedy, is that there is no other fate for me. My powerlessness was that I couldn’t subjugate my journey to the gods, while dreaming of rebirth at the end of distant time, like other pharaohs.” Ramesses II, Fate/Prototype: Argent Fragments.

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post

Ooo, then it probably wasn't the one I came up with, then. That's a similar take on what I did, though.

I had yours saved on my old drive, and used it in a game actually, after I decided my way of doing Blood Potency in VtR was still a little limiting. (My way was each Generation had a variable Blood Potency, with a minimum and a maximum. SO a 13th Gen may have a min of 1, and a max of 2. So on, and so forth.) Where as the Merit served better in the Masquiem setting I eventually ended up using. From what I remember, the Generation merit gave your Blood Potency extra benefits. A little more Vitae max than usual; more Vitae per turn, a bonus in Predator's Taint (now it'd be a bonus to Lashing Out rolls, I'd say) and other fun stuff, with some drawbacks about people wanting to kill you for your potent blood.

My Homebrew
                  Star Wars d10
                  The Fallen for Demon: the Descent
                  Requiem for a Masquerade: VtR 2e Cainite Conversion (Vampira Roma)

Comment

I use Blood Potency instead of Generation in my Dark Ages game. So far I'm lovin' it.

I also use a couple tweaks to make it more in line with VtM's feel. BP doesn't decrease with torpor (such making the Antediluvian threat a tad less scary). BP increases by 1 point every 100 years and caps out at 5. Reaching BP 6 takes either XP or diablerie. Masquerade's elders tend to be a lot older than Requiem's, so unless you want every elder who was around for the Convention of Thorns to have trait limits of 10, some tweaking is in order.
                    Last edited by False Epiphany; 10-15-2014, 03:52 AM.

Blood and Bourbon, my New Orleans-based Vampire chronicle.

Comment

False Epiphany, can you add some detailsa bout how your Generation works?

Comment

Current Version - Please Critique Blood Pool, Generation, Vitae, and Blood Potency

Blood Pool represents how much stolen blood your body can store. Barring special abilities, all Vampires have a Blood Pool of 10. Blood is used as specified in V20: awaken each night, boost physical attributes, heal damage, create childe and blood bonds, and fuel supernatural abilities. Self-Control rating is limited by the current number of blood points.
                        Generation (●●●●) is a merit that measures the degree of separation between you and a mythical founding vampire (Cain, Longinus, etc.). It adds one beneficial step difficulty in social challenges with other Vampires, and reduces the cost of purchasing Blood Potency by 1.
                        Vitae represents the spiritual energy the beast generates from the consumption of blood. It can be used to fuel supernatural abilities (anything in the book that requires blood). It is regenerated after a full day of rest.
                        Blood Potency measures the strength of your connection to the beast. It controls how much Vitae your body can generate and store, how quickly you can spend it, and feeding restrictions. Vitae can be spent as blood, but regenerates fully after a day of rest. All Vampires begin at Blood Potency 1. Blood Potency can be purchased at character creation for 2 points per potency over 1 up to 4. It increases by 1 for every 100 years of activity or at a cost of 6 xp * current rating up to 6, after which only diablerie of a more potent vampire is required.
                        Potency
                        Ability, Skill, and Discipline Max
                        Vitae
                        Blood or Vitae per Turn

Replace any rule in V20 that specifies differences between generations affecting disciplines with a difficulty of +2 per difference between Blood Potencies. For example, a Vampire with Blood Potency 2 would have a +4 step difficulty attempting to dominate a Vampire with Blood Potency 4.
                        Last edited by Archivist; 04-25-2015, 11:55 AM.

Comment

I have been considering using both in my currently in planning Chronicle. What I was considering is having Potency be associated to the age of the Kindred, and Generation their placement in the lineage of Kindred. Potency would effect the aspects of the Kindred related to Blood/Vitae while Generation would impact the raw maximum potential of the Kindred. So, using that premise we could end up with something like this:

Blood Potency: Increases as the Kindred ages. As this increases so does their Blood Pool and Vitae per Turn ratings. It is according to the following chart:
                          Vampire Age Potency Blood Pool Blood per Turn
                          Under 50 (Fledgling) 1 10 1
                          50-100 (Neonate) 2 11 1
                          101-150 (Ancillae) 3 12 1
                          151-200 4 13 1
                          201-300 (Elder) 5 14 2
                          301-500 6 15 3
                          501-1000 7 20 4
                          1001-2000 (Methuselah) 8 30 6
                          2001-???? 9 40 8
                          ???? 10 50 10
                          Generation: How close a Kindred is to the original source of vampirism. This can only be improved via diablarie and effects the Maximum Trait Ratings that a Kindred is able to maintain. This can be seen in the following chart:
                          Generation Max Trait Rating
                          13+ 5
                          12 5
                          11 5
                          10 5
                          9 5
                          8 5
                          7 6
                          6 7
                          5 8
                          4 9
                          3 10
                          This gives some value to both sides of the equation I think, making both Potency and Generation a tempting aspect to increase. One could also extrapolate this a bit further and assume that the premise of Thin Bloods in Kindred society might actually apply to any Kindred in the range of 8-13+ Generation as they are the ones incapable of learning Elder level powers and show a true potential thinning of the lines. That allows for most modern night games to put some focus on that, but still leaves the room that the whole mythology behind the curse could very well be false and the Thin Bloods may well not be any sign of the coming end times.

It opens many avenues on how you can approach things, and one can even toss in little bits and bobs as they see fit to manage their view of the World of Darkness more (such as imposing a minimum and maximum Potency at Generations levels starting out). I would also recommend using both Generation and Potency (or a modified version of Age) as Backgrounds with this setup as I think that would be the most in line with how the system was setup from the get go. I also like the fact that this method does not require a whole lot of retconning of the rules at large, and it feels like it better conveys some of what is seen in the fiction that makes up a lot of the extra lore in the World of Darkness.

Granted, I haven't tested this out yet, so in practice it might all fall apart, but as I said before I do intend to use this in my currently in planning Chronicle with a modified up V20.
                          Last edited by Red Eye; 06-04-2015, 01:04 AM. Reason: Additional Information

-Red
                          V20 Content: Age & Potency
                          V5 Content: The Masquerade, Tzimisce and Vicissitude, Loresheet: Chicago, Resonance Flavor
                          Community & Project Manager, Developer at Hunters Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Kat View Post
                            There is a little nod I noticed in DA20 manuscript in the form of a rumor that the blood may thicken with age.
                            Back in 1st Edition Vampire they made allusions to Vampires being able to learn higher level disciplines after 100+ years of age, the notion being that they were going to include a blood potency type "thickening" of the blood, but it never materialized - instead they made Generation the big thing. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

For the discussion in general, I'd advise not to use the fog of ages. There's no reason for it in Masquerade (since vampires are far more organized and they have a semi-unified creation myth) and it will therefore end up causing more trouble than it's worth.

Comment

To be perfectly honest in my eyes this notion is rather appealing, my friends and i play vtm alongside with most of Vampire The requiem combat (which includes hit points, because i loath health level.) mechanism gently ladled, we are using a mixture of blood potency and generation.

it works in this manner: the character blood potency maximum is defined by its generation.

In this way a player CAN start the game lets say at a... dark age campaign as a fifth\six gen cainite and still be as weak as any other kindred at his\her early age unless he\she stay very active and gain a whole lot of experience thus unlocking the power of his\her blood. it is a useful tool which is used to preventing the game from becoming AZURA'S WRATH with fangs

however a cainite of an early gen is still immune to dominate by an later gen regardless of bp.
                              Last edited by Amirthulhu; 02-21-2018, 03:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X