Gargoyles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gargoyles

I have a chance to play one in a campaign that a player is taking over now that he feels ready and I guess I have a few things to iron out. In V20 during a more final nights time period do all of them still choose to be free? Not only that, would playing nicely with a tremere be possible assuming hes been free for at least 70 years?

Other than that, some mechanics I wanted to discuss were as follows.

Armor of terra: It mentions this power is always active, how does this factor to earth melding? Apply it before I apply the triple soak from that power? Taking that one step further, choosing not to run around naked he might be at least semi armored, which order do I stack those in? And unfortunately to ask for more, where do I start with fortitude on top of all that?

Flight: Was there ever a decent home ruling on flight and potence together?

Lastly how does it work when someone becomes a gargoyle in terms of discipline? Assuming a vampire was turned into a gargoyle after being around for a while, what happens to all that previous power?

Edit: For flight also, does the rule for elder disciplines prevent flight going further? Could I raise flight above and beyond?
    Last edited by Niza; 11-27-2014, 01:22 AM.

Our world of darkness podcast: http://thesundaysix.podbean.com/

Originally posted by Niza View Post
    Lastly how does it work when someone becomes a gargoyle in terms of discipline? Assuming a vampire was turned into a gargoyle after being around for a while, what happens to all that previous power?
    Gargoyles created from former Cainites have no recollections of their past that includes loosing all Disciplines, the reason for this is simple they are composite beings created from parts of several vampires and magically fused into a completely new being. Check out House of Tremere for the actual Ritual for creating Gargoyles, At Our Command It Breathes (or something similar).

Likewise it is mentioned in the Gargoyle writeup, at least in the GttC writeup cannot remember the V20 version, that even those Gargoyles created through Embrace tend to loose most of their former memories or something similar according to my faint recollection of the text.

Potence and Flight house-rules? If you want to carry heavier objects than your flight allows for normally, I seem to recall flight making up the limit regardless of your strength could be wrong though, make up a combination Discipline with Flight and Potence, say Potence 3 Flight 3 combo that allows you to lift off and fly carrying up to your Potence limits of weight for a BP per scene or something.

Nothing in the rules prohibits Flight for going over five if there is a Gargoyle of sufficient Generation to discover it, unless of course you want to limit it in accordance to it's origins in Thaumaturgy limiting it to level 5 as a very specialized Path of sorts developed as it has from a Ritual that empowered the Gargoyles with flight earlier. You just have to decide how much speed and such do the higher levels grant. Remember that there are likely no alternate powers as the Gargoyles themselves do not really see flight as a Discipline rather than just a natural perk they have.

Tremere and Free Gargoyles really do not mix well together though the Tremere might be more than happy to let the poor servant think itself free and safe until the time is right.

Really tired as I'm writing this so sorry if my memory has played tricks with me or there are gregarious errors in my spelling and grammar.

Comment

Being that your the first and only reply thats totally okay: ) thank you for all your hel

Comment

You & your new ST might be interested in checking out the newer options for Gargoyles in V20 Dark Ages. Here is a link to the public document.

It is quite fascinating, offing enhanced Ritual effects and an alternative "Clan" Weakness that better matches the various Gargoyle NPC's and Gargoyle social behaviors presented throughout the line. (This is especially true for Gargoyles presented in House of Tremere.)

Comment

Originally posted by Daredevil View Post
          You & your new ST might be interested in checking out the newer options for Gargoyles in V20 Dark Ages. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuUlNXWVBTcmVTNXc/view?pli=1"]Here is a link to the public document. [/URL]

It is quite fascinating, offing enhanced Ritual effects and an alternative "Clan" Weakness that better matches the various Gargoyle NPC's and Gargoyle social behaviors presented throughout the line. (This is especially true for Gargoyles presented in House of Tremere.)
          Are these options still available to a gargoyle in the final nights?

Comment

Originally posted by Niza View Post

Are these options still available to a gargoyle in the final nights?
            Excellent question.

I'd show your ST the material and ask what s/he thinks.

I can't think of anything game breaking, and it all seems applicable to 'modern' Gargoyles.

The only thing I can think of that would need changing is giving Gargoyles Visceratika.
            Last edited by Daredevil; 12-06-2014, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daredevil View Post

Excellent question.

I'd show your ST the material and ask what s/he thinks.

I can't think of anything game breaking, and it all seems applicable to 'modern' Gargoyles.

The only thing I can think of that would need changing is giving Gargoyles Visceratika.

You've been wonderfully helpful daredevil I had a few questions as a new ST for the minds eye theatre book from by night studios, how does one go adapting material from v20 over? (Side topic I know) Not only that, do they keep updating as v20 does? I only ask because your enough on top of it to have a public document link.

Comment

Most of the gargoyle-specific rituals eventually get internalized as the Visceratika discipline, don't they?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
                  Most of the gargoyle-specific rituals eventually get internalized as the Visceratika discipline, don't they?
                  Yup. That's an example of how a discipline can be developed over time (in this case, via Thaumaturgical experimentation).

I have been around here for waaaayyyy too fucking long...

Comment

hey, i dont know if this fourum is still up but i have a game going on now where there is a gargoyle prince, which is causing some interesting friends and enemies arising. the gm has had to create some higher level powers as it ends at 5 for me so i wondered if youd like to see em ?

Comment

Originally posted by fishboy202 View Post
                      hey, i dont know if this fourum is still up but i have a game going on now where there is a gargoyle prince, which is causing some interesting friends and enemies arising. the gm has had to create some higher level powers as it ends at 5 for me so i wondered if youd like to see em ?
                      Sure. Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by fishboy202 View Post
                        That might actually be worse than a Caitiff prince. God damn.

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

Visceratika has conanical level 6 and level 7 powers that are pretty cool.
                          • 7th Generation [6]
                            • Dark Statue: you are physically unaffected by sunlight as long as you don’t move, but must still roll to avoid Rötschreck, and must have Fortitude
                            • Rockheart: your innards calcify, reducing peircing damage and making staking almost impossible
                          • 6th Generation - Crawling Chamber [7]: you may animate, give a limited sentience to, and command (to an extent) a 10ft³ volume of stone
                          Atamajakki, there's definitely a Caitiff prince of Cairo. I think I also read about a Gargoyle prince somewhere, but I can't remember if that was canonical or just an AAR of an interesting game I read on line.

Comment

Originally posted by Alucard View Post
                            Atamajakki, there's definitely a Caitiff prince of Cairo. I think I also read about a Gargoyle prince somewhere, but I can't remember if that was canonical or just an AAR of an interesting game I read on line.
                            Isn't Cairo an Ashirra domain, rather than straight-up Camarilla? I know it's basically a vassal state in modern nights, but still.

As for a Gargoyle, I could totally see an one as the Baron of an Anarch domain, but a Prince? The Sabbat are far more progressive in the regard and they still wouldn't let that fly. I doubt a structure as conservative as the Cammies would let a bunch of freakish ex-slaves lord over a bunch of folks from legitimate clans.

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                              I doubt a structure as conservative as the Cammies would let a bunch of freakish ex-slaves lord over a bunch of folks from legitimate clans.
                              That would probably depend on who else lives in the city - a small town with just a few Brujah, Gangrel and/or Nosferatu might not be impossible, but you'd probably not see a Gargoyle governed city containing Ventrue or Toreador of any pedigree.

Comment

Working...
                              X