Tokyo Ghoul and Kindred of the East?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tokyo Ghoul and Kindred of the East?

Would the Ghouls in Tokyo Ghoul be good example of Devil Tiger Kuei Jin?

Not really. The Devil Tiger Dharma, like all the Dharmas, is a spiritual and philosophical belief system and code. Ideally and most simplistically, they are the monsters that tempt and punish the wicked. But even then that really doesn't do them just as there is plenty of variation among the beliefs of its practitioners.

I haven't finished watching the first season yet but so far the Ghouls seem to act at their best as Anarchs and at their worst Sabbat.

Though all that said, the anime does seem to have a great deal of inspiration for Vampire games of any line.

Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenceless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable. Indomitable.

Comment

Originally posted by AkatsukiLeader13 View Post
      Not really. The Devil Tiger Dharma, like all the Dharmas, is a spiritual and philosophical belief system and code. Ideally and most simplistically, they are the monsters that tempt and punish the wicked. But even then that really doesn't do them just as there is plenty of variation among the beliefs of its practitioners.

I haven't finished watching the first season yet but so far the Ghouls seem to act at their best as Anarchs and at their worst Sabbat.

Though all that said, the anime does seem to have a great deal of inspiration for Vampire games of any line.
      The anime is... not as good as the manga in my opinion, but I will forever advocate the series as a great inspiration for fledgeling games due to Kaneki's character and development. Most of the first manga and the first season of the anime, at least.

Comment

I tried watching the show when it was coming out, and I ended up being fairly unimpressed and dropped it around episode 5. Kaneki felt like a boring "everyman" character who was supposed to be very plain and unassuming and so easy to self-insert into. The storyline felt kind of jumped together, and the censoring didn't help much. But the series seems pretty popular (I believe it just got a second season?)

Does it get better? You mention Kaneki's character and development. Don't spoil me too much, in case I decide to pick it back up, but he gets more interesting as a protagonist? Does the story in the manga feel a bit less garbled than it did in the anime?

Comment

It's less garbled in the manga partially because in the anime they shifted several events around in a way that didn't make much sense. The Gourmet Arc happens after the Doves come to the 20th Ward and not before; he goes forward with Tsukiyama to investigate his secret "club" because he was asked to. Which only happened because people got wind of his surprising resistance against a ghoul investigator.

Over its course the anime also maimed a lot of important details to what Kaneki goes through and what he's thinking. He absolutely does mature as a protagonist, in no small part due to what he's forced to endure and the choices he has to make. But from the start he didn't boring to me - his panic and denial and fear at what he had become and the implications he was having to deal with were all very human - and the first episode actually did some things extremely well.

The reason I recommend the manga is because it's generally more faithful to his character, has a better atmosphere, and is more raw and gritty with the details. Kaneki is the strongest reason to read it for inspiration towards vampire, because his path eventually mirrors many of the themes of Vampire (though mostly Requiem, I'm not that familiar with Masquerade). The progressive loss of Humanity. Having to deal with a monster inside of you, telling you to feed, always reminding you you are no longer human. Being confronted with choices - whether to deny your own unholy nature and suffer for it and bring pain down on those close to you; or embracing it to survive, giving away little pieces of what made you you to carry on and not have to be just another puppet in the politics and monstrousities in the shadows.

Other details and relationships between characters also make handy parallels with certain aspects of a vampire's life (and the mechanics and themes of Requiem). But given how you apparently didn't like Kaneki much to begin with, I don't know if you'll enjoy it the same way I have even if you try the manga, as our opinions seem to differ somewhat.

Comment

On the other hand, you can take Tokyo Ghoul and standardize these "ghouls" as variant Kuei-Jin, hunted by all the others (if discovered)

====================================
            "Worst English-language User" 2011-2015, 2017 running for the 2018

Comment

Well technically all Kuei-Jin can eat flesh and the chih-mei, the newly returned Hungry Dead, and those at Dharma 0 have to feed on flesh. And they do have a bit more of a system for it than VtM.

Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenceless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable. Indomitable.

Comment

Can Kuei Jin lose their powers? I know that Kindred has the "withering" to worry about? Is there a equivalent of that for the Kuei Jin?

Comment

What about Dhampires? They can regain power through cannibalism. If you just say that they can't regain Chi normally, but only through eating people, would that work fairly well?

Comment

Originally posted by Magicballz View Post
                    Can Kuei Jin lose their powers? I know that Kindred has the "withering" to worry about? Is there a equivalent of that for the Kuei Jin?
                    The Withering only came into affect during Gehenna, if your ST wants to use it. And it only affected Cainite vampires.

There was one scenario for the Kuei-Jin in the Time of Judgement book where they were stricken with a much more extreme version of it that outright killed them off. Of course it was being caused by a Tremere that 'defected' to the Kuei-Jin following the British returning Hong Kong to China. Eventually he managed to strike a deal with a Yama Lord and escapes back to the Tremere. He provided them with a powerful ritual that slowly starts killing off Kuei-Jin starting with the oldest first. Of course what the Tremere aren't aware of is that this will also sell the souls of the entire Clan to said demon lord also.

And there's also another that I can't remember all that well but it has to do with the Gauntlet thickening or something and it becoming more difficult for the Kuei-Jin to feed or something that. I can't remember it at the moment.

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                    What about Dhampires? They can regain power through cannibalism. If you just say that they can't regain Chi normally, but only through eating people, would that work fairly well?
                    Perhaps, its been ages since I read up on Dhampyrs. I'll see about re-reading the Dhampyr book and see about maybe bashing out a rough reskin of Dhampyrs as ghouls.

Comment

Originally posted by Magicballz View Post
                      Would the Ghouls in Tokyo Ghoul be good example of Devil Tiger Kuei Jin?
                      Formori. Some of the abilities he's demostrated I'm guessing a Gorehound or Enticer. Maybe a mix of both.

Onyx Path Kickstarters I back.
                      W20, MtC, CB20, DtD, MtAs20, BotW20, Wraith 20th.

Comment

Having had a chance to re-familiarize myself with the material on the Dhampyrs, that if you wanted to play Tokyo Ghoul the OWoD, they'd be the way to go without building it from the ground up. Just limit or remove the amount of Chi that can be gained through rest and meditation and your good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by AkatsukiLeader13 View Post
                          Well technically all Kuei-Jin can eat flesh and the chih-mei, the newly returned Hungry Dead, and those at Dharma 0 have to feed on flesh. And they do have a bit more of a system for it than VtM.
                          I know.
                          I'm speaking of variant Kuei Jin (maybe even Bakemono Kuei-Jin) that can feed only on flesh , but using a standard Kuei-jin system with some changes here and there...
                          it could be fun, with a badass storyteller

====================================
                          "Worst English-language User" 2011-2015, 2017 running for the 2018

Comment

Working...
                          X