Feed the Darkness (Ritual)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feed the Darkness (Ritual)

Does this ritual bypass typical limits on feeding? If you summon 6 tentacles can you drain 18 blood in a single turn without having to take an action? I feel like I am missing something. Or should this be interpreted as you can feed as normal through a tentacle, so you would only be able to take 3 blood per turn.
    [ 2 ] Feed The Darkness ( Rites Of The Blood -- Page 38 )

For the rest of the evening, the caster may feed through the touch of an Arm of the Abyss. Any Flaws or other issues the caster naturally suffers are still in effect: The Arm's absorption of blood can be excruciatingly painful if the caster has the Grip of the Damned Flaw, all feeding restrictions still apply, and so forth. However, the Arm of the Abyss leaves a deep, black bruise on the subject's body that looks similar to the mark of a feeding leech, rather than the tell-tale sign of a vampire's fangs.
    System: The caster must spend fifteen minutes in contemplation at the beginning of the evening, chanting in Abyssal tongues and calling upon the spirits of the Abyss. The effects of this ritual last until the next sunrise.
    Side Effect: While the caster's body contains any vitae gained through the use of this ritual, her blood is a dark, blackish color. This causes notable dark streaks where her veins and arteries are near the surface of her flesh.
    Last edited by TheLongNight; 04-10-2015, 06:58 PM.

Originally posted by TheLongNight View Post
    Does this ritual bypass typical limits on feeding?
    It would seem to me that the text is quite clear.

all feeding restrictions still apply, and so forth.

Comment

I don't think it is that clear. The term feeding restrictions is used specifically to apply to restrictions on what type of blood a Vampire can drink (for Clans that are selective) or for those with some type of flaw. I don't think it applies otherwise.. That was my first thought.

Comment

Think the real question here is "can I use three arms of the Abyss to instantly suck a human dry or am I stuck with the sucky slow rate of 3 per turn?"

Comment

Yeah. To be clear I'm not using personally it I'm running a game and I don't know the answer to that question.

Comment

Yeah. To be clear I'm not using personally it I'm running a game and I don't know the answer to that question.
            Then it's up to you.

I seem to have acquired a site for running play by post games. This is unexpected and frightening and come watch either the glorious play or the magnificent train wreck:

The Malkavian Madness Network

Comment

I guess it doesn't really matter. I was just hoping someone had used this and had some insight.

Comment

The description only ever refers to a single arm, using "an" or "the" with no indication that more than one would be effected by the power...

Comment

For the rest of the evening, the caster may feed through the touch of an Arm of the Abyss. Any Flaws or other issues the caster naturally suffers are still in effect: The Arm's absorption of blood can be excruciatingly painful if the caster has the Grip of the Damned Flaw, all feeding restrictions still apply, and so forth. However, the Arm of the Abyss leaves a deep, black bruise on the subject's body that looks similar to the mark of a feeding leech, rather than the tell-tale sign of a vampire's fangs.
                  All relevant articles and noun forms are in the singular. It reads to me as, when the Lasombra uses Arms of the Abyss, only one arm can be used for feeding at a time.

Yes, while "feeding restrictions" typically applies to feeding-related flaws -- Lasombra with Prey Exclusion cannot gain blood points from excluded prey, Grip of the Damned causes intense pain (as mentioned), methuselah Lasombra cannot gain blood points from humans, etc. -- the wording is clear (if not a bit difficult to notice).

Comment

I've previously ruled that you can still only take 3 per turn, as normal. Otherwise Arms of the Abyss very quickly becomes an instant torpor power with 5-6 tentacles all draining.

Comment

So to be clear, your tentacles hit the target and roll for damage as normal. So long as 1 tentacle hits, you drain 3 blood from them. Even if 5 tentacles hit, you still only drain 3 blood from them.

Comment

What if you cast Arms of Ahriman again, for a new set of arms? Would that be 3pts per activation of arms, or would it still be limited to 3pts per turn?

Comment

Originally posted by killersquirrel59 View Post
                          I've previously ruled that you can still only take 3 per turn, as normal. Otherwise Arms of the Abyss very quickly becomes an instant torpor power with 5-6 tentacles all draining.
                          I think this is probably for the best. Obtenebration is already strong as heck without letting you use it to torpor someone in a turn or two with this.

Comment

Originally posted by g3taso View Post
                            What if you cast Arms of Ahriman again, for a new set of arms? Would that be 3pts per activation of arms, or would it still be limited to 3pts per turn?
                            The limit is per turn per vampire, so you'd still be stuck with three.

Comment

Working...
                            X