Can Obeah cure Disease?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Obeah cure Disease?

Can Obeah cure Disease, or just physical damage and Derangement's? Pathogenic as well of conditions like cancer, or chronic illnesses?

Not as written directly it can't. I'd consider that a very reasonable combo discipline though. Not sure what I'd combo it with to make it work, but it certainly fits Obeah's paradigm.

Comment

perhaps a combo with vicissitude

Comment

Maybe thaumaturgy, or, yeah, Vicissitude.
        Last edited by Drakilian; 04-11-2015, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Level 6 can, sure. Levels 1-5 cannot, because disease is not a big element of VtM. Life, sure, but not VtM. It gets a single paragraph, I think.

I'm a professor! Why is no one listening to me?!

Comment

I think that a combo Discipline with Auspex and Obeah should cure disease. Why Auspex? Because a disease is more complicated that physical damage. Auspex is required for the Salubri to sense the nature of the illness and effectively direct the magical energies of the Obeah towards doing what ever is necessary to eliminate that disease. Then it is a combo Discipline that a Salubri could be reasonably expected to have, instead of something involving another rare Discipline that a Salubri is very unlikely know.

Comment

Or just let them buy it as a alternative level 3 discipline power.

Comment

There aren't usually alternative discipline powers below level six (except different discipline paths, but those aren't a pick-and-mix so aren't really alternate powers either).

Perhaps it could be a Valeren and Fortitude combi power? Vicissitude, as mentioned elsewhere, isn't really suitable for healing.

Comment

There's one for Auspex two and Obtenetration 4, I say go for it.

Comment

Perhaps combining Obeah with the Grave's Decay Necromancy path would allow one to cure disease as well as cause it? That's probably a vanishingly rare pairing of disciplines, though.

Comment

Can Obeah cure Disease, or just physical damage and Derangement's? Pathogenic as well of conditions like cancer, or chronic illnesses?
                      As of DA:V20? Healer Valeren can, yes, although it can't just broad-cure a disease - the Salubri has to know what they're looking for and specifically seek to cure that disease. I recall that one draft had it limited to blood-born illnesses only, so if the malady is something like a bad kidney it'll stick around and kill the mortal.

Obeah in V20 can't, though.

Neall Raemonn Price
                      Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

Originally posted by Drakilian View Post
                        There's one for Auspex two and Obtenetration 4, I say go for it.
                        I can recall a character in Chicago By Night having an alternate level 1 Auspex power (let him raise Perception with blood points like it was a physical discipline). I'd also suggest just making it an alternate discipline power.

Comment

Originally posted by Neall View Post

As of DA:V20? Healer Valeren can, yes, although it can't just broad-cure a disease - the Salubri has to know what they're looking for and specifically seek to cure that disease. I recall that one draft had it limited to blood-born illnesses only, so if the malady is something like a bad kidney it'll stick around and kill the mortal.

Yes, however DAV20 is a wildly different system than any other edition before it. It really should probably have its own section on the boards and can't be applied to the general VtM discussion. Core mechanics are just too different.

Comment

As of DA:V20? Healer Valeren can, yes, although it can't just broad-cure a disease - the Salubri has to know what they're looking for and specifically seek to cure that disease.
                            All of my recent research into healing and Obeah/Healer Valeren has opened my eyes to the vast improvements and streamlining of the Discipline in DA:V20.

I already loved other revised parts I did pick up on (I already loved the reworked learning other Valeren Paths, and deeply love the addition of the 3rd Path), and this just elevates an already high opinion on that section.

I recall that one draft had it limited to blood-born illnesses only, so if the malady is something like a bad kidney it'll stick around and kill the mortal.
                            The last public draft I read had the blood-born limitation. Do you know if the broader draft or the blood-born draft be the final product, Neall?

Unfortunately.

I've got to admit, my recent review of all the older (and V20) versions was starting to sadden me toward the Discipline, as I remembered it fondly with an incorrect assumption that it could cure illness.

Thank you for pointing out the DA:V20 version to me, Neall. Do you know which writer worked on that section? They have my thanks.

Originally posted by killersquirrel59 View Post
                            Yes, however DAV20 is a wildly different system than any other edition before it. It really should probably have its own section on the boards and can't be applied to the general VtM discussion. Core mechanics are just too different.
                            He was careful to make the distinction, though.

And a Player can always ask a ST if they can import DA:V20 features/revisions, which is empowering.
                            Last edited by Daredevil; 04-13-2015, 06:12 PM.

Comment

(Just jumping in after cursorily checking out some other people's answers, and going off the idea to look at it from an "old-school" perspective rather than DA:V20 or the ever-simple Obeah:6+ as a specialty power....)

While I understand the "go-left-of-center"/humorous answers of Vicissitude/Necromancy/your-mom-kisses-it-and-makes-it-better", why has no one mentioned the rather obvious Obeah/Fortitude combo? Makes absolutely perfect sense and is... well... *obvious*, in the extreme. (Or is that the joke, and my tired-after-several-days-without-sleep-while-going-to-multiple-places-mind just isn't catching it...?)

I have been around here for waaaayyyy too fucking long...

Comment

Working...
                              X