The Tremere Council of Seven

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tremere Council of Seven

I am doing a Tremere campaign that is pretty vast in scope. Starting in the 900s with the characters as mortal Tremere (using Dark Ages: Mage), going through to their Embrace in the late 11th century and beyond.

With the player characters being involved with the Clan from the start they are going to grow in prominence. I fully plan for them to be Lords and Pontifices as the campaign goes on. This will necessitate a lot of contact with the Council of Seven (at least, more contact than a simple apprentice or regent).

To this end, I am trying to get a feel for the membership of the Tremere Council of Seven. I have put together quite a bit, and just wanted to know if anyone can suggest anything I’ve missed. Here it goes:

1037, Tremere founds the Council (House of Tremere pages 22 to 24) consisting of:
    Goratrix
    Etrius
    Meerlinda
    Calderon
    LeDuc
    +2 others

1197, Abetorius is ‘sent by Tremere himself to establish a clan presence in the East’. (Constantinople by Night, page 107). Maybe this indicates that Abetorius is on the Council in 1197? (Abetorius was only Embraced in 1103 so he was certainly not one of the original Council) So:
    Goratrix
    Etrius
    Meerlinda
    Calderon? (unsure, not mentioned again)
    LeDuc? (unsure, not mentioned again)
    Abetorius?
    +1 other

1314 is the date of Goratrix’ final censure (Transylvania Chronicles 1, chapter 3), and following this fiasco he is replaced by Grimgoth (Clanbook Tremere 1st Edition, page 64):
    Grimgoth
    Etrius
    Meerlinda
    Calderon?
    LeDuc?
    Abetorius?
    +1 other

Late 18th Century the Tremere Council reorganises its areas of jurisdiction (Clanbook Tremere 1st Edition, pages 20 and 25):
    Meerlinda, North America
    Xavier de Cincao, South America
    Etrius, East Europe
    Grimgoth, West Europe
    ?, North Africa
    ?, Asia
    ? (likely Abetorius), Middle East

1782, Kasper von Aupfholme of the 8th Generation is Embraced by Councillor Mooreau of Africa. Mooreau is already the second Councillor of Africa. (Cairo By Night, page 89):
    Meerlinda, North America
    Etrius, East Europe
    Grimgoth, West Europe
    Mooreau, North Africa
    ?, Asia

1850, Elaine de Calinot is already the Councillor for Africa when she Embraces Edward Bainbridge of the 7th Generation. (Victorian Age London By Night, pages 98 to 100. Though the book calls de Calinot a Pontifex, her sphere of influence is explicitly described as all of Africa. We can conclude that Pontifex is therefore an error and was actually a Councillor at this time):
    Meerlinda, North America
    Etrius, East Europe
    Grimgoth, West Europe
    Elaine de Calinot, Africa
    ?, Asia

1994, the Council stands as follows (Clanbook Tremere 1st Edition, pages 64 to 67). Note that Elaine de Calinot is explicitly said to be the third African Councillor, which fits with the Cairo By Night stating Mooreau being the second:
    Etrius, Eastern Europe
    Grimgoth, Western Europe, the UK and Australia
    Meerlinda, North America
    Xavier de Cincao, South America, Mexico and the Caribbean
    Abetorius, Western Asia / Middle East
    Thomas Wyncham, East Asia
    Elaine de Calinot, Africa

I think it safe to accept Abetorius as a Councillor from 1197 onwards.

As for LeDuc and Calderon, aside from their mentions in House of Tremere (which only goes up to 1197) I cannot figure out their fates.

The White Wolf Wiki claims that Calderon was killed by Goratrix in a Certamen duel and replaced by Xavier de Cincao as Councillor for Spain, but I have no idea where this information comes from.

So yeah, anyone else know a relevant source on the Tremere Council that I might have missed?

I so want to play in this!!!

English is not my native language, so i apologize for errors in grammar or spelling.

Comment

One that's often forgotten (it originated in the early Chicago books) is Nicolai's sire Stromberg: http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Nicolai_Antonescu
      The way I put it together, Stromberg was among those who became vampires by magical means and I went further to say Nicolai was the first Embraced Tremere.

Currently running (kpwarmerdam.nl/tabletop)
      City of Black Miracles (VtM)
      What Comes After (WtO)

Comment

Oh good one! A 5th Gen like Stromberg that early in Tremere history would be a likely candidate for the Council! Thanks warmerdutch!

And Cadmiumcadmium, glad you like the campaign concept!

Comment

I'm not joking, i've wanted to play in something like this for ages. Is there a possibility that you could run this over skype or something?

English is not my native language, so i apologize for errors in grammar or spelling.

Comment

Sorry man, alas not! My group and I are based in Japan, and we meet at all sorts of weird times! Thanks for the interest though!

Comment

Aww chucks...oh well, best of luck to you. Hope it will be epic.

Comment

Tremere in the Middle Ages were organized by...

British Isles (Meerlinda)
                France (Goratrix)
                Iberia + North Africa (Calderon)
                Hungary + Slavic east (Etrius)
                Byzantium + the Middle East (Abetorius)

From this, I think it's reasonable to conclude the two remaining Councilors were assigned to Italy and the Holy Roman Empire (with Scandinavia and the Baltics probably under the latter's jurisdiction). Lotharius jumps out to me as a natural choice for Councilor of the HRE, given that he's already responsible for running Vienna, a 5th generation childe of Etrius, and otherwise made out to be a badass (in Berlin by Night he's listed as a 6-dot Mentor on the sheet for his childe Karl Schrekt). Dark Ages Europe says he's Pontifex of Austria, but that's inconsistent with other sources that say the rank of Pontifex was only created after the New World's discovery.

I can't think of any significant Tremere personages in Italy... Stromburg might be a good choice for managing that region.

It's also worth noting that these two aren't on the Inner Council in the Modern Nights, so Stromburg was likely killed off somehow. Maybe he was re-assigned to Africa or Asia and was one of the Councilors there who met a nasty end. Lotharius is a particularly interesting case, as his 6-dot Mentor rating implies he's still got quite a bit of influence--more than a Justicar. Perhaps he's now on the Camarilla's Inner Circle. There's likely a story behind him giving up his Councilorship without being destroyed/currently in torpor.

On an unrelated tangent, Feder & Schwert's Vienna by Night offers a wealth of information for a Tremere-centric chronicle if you don't already have it. Although it's written in German, it's readable in English if you don't mind repeatedly copypasting text into Google translate.

Blood and Bourbon, my New Orleans-based Vampire chronicle.

Comment

Originally posted by False Epiphany View Post
                  On an unrelated tangent, Feder & Schwert's Vienna by Night offers a wealth of information for a Tremere-centric chronicle if you don't already have it.
                  I so much wish there were an English version of that for sale! Just seeing the German versions of Clanbooks coming out on DriveThruRPG reminded me of this.. No, I don't really have anything of substance to add.

B.I.G. Bird spreads the word: Anybody with a heart votes love

Comment

Wait, I do have something to add!

In a similar vein (pun!) as Vienna by Night, the Victorian Age novel series offers some WONDERFUL looks into what Vienna was like at that time, the Tremere Fatherhouse chantry in particular. I believe it must be the Fortschritt Chantry, but I cannot recall for sure.

...On a less 'canon' note, I'd written an account of what happened when Tremere and his closest apprentices (i.e. the original seven) found Saulot. I had the six names gleaned from House of Tremere, and I added two of my own device, Fastmas and Dexo. The former fell to the protectors of Saulot—flying in the face of the 'party line' that the Ancient was an easy target—while Dexo was left insensate once they actually encountered Saulot. Both required 'replacements' as Goratrix put it in the account, and that was, in my chronicle, the origin of the Council of Seven as a proper institution within the Pyramid. Oh, the account was written from the recollections of Etrius, found in one of his journals not unlike those excerpted in Transylvania Chronicles IV...

I dunno if any of the above helps, but at least know that someone else has delved a bit into these questions. I hope that you come up with some really fantastic answers.

Edit: The six names mentioned above include that of Tremere, himself... So five of the 'council' and their master.

B.I.G. Bird spreads the word: Anybody with a heart votes love

Comment

Thanks False Epiphany, that sounds like a good way to slice up the rest of Europe. As for Lotharius, you are certainly on to something. The position of Pontifex has been confused with Councillor before (like in London By Night) so yes, him for the Council in the Dark Ages! Add in Stromburg too and I think the Dark Ages Council roster is looking pretty solid.

And Phaolan, I shall definitely have a read of the Victorian Age novel series! Thanks again all!

Comment

Originally posted by False Epiphany View Post
                        It's also worth noting that these two aren't on the Inner Council in the Modern Nights, so Stromburg was likely killed off somehow. Maybe he was re-assigned to Africa or Asia and was one of the Councilors there who met a nasty end. Lotharius is a particularly interesting case, as his 6-dot Mentor rating implies he's still got quite a bit of influence--more than a Justicar. Perhaps he's now on the Camarilla's Inner Circle. There's likely a story behind him giving up his Councilorship without being destroyed/currently in torpor.
                        Has anyone considered the contrary possibility that Lotharius was destroyed/torpored between '93-'94, after the events of Berlin by Night but before the list in clanbook Tremere came out? William Thorbecke, the (possibly 5th gen) Tremere regent of Amsterdam, sire and precursor of Lille Haake, in Children of Night, was destroyed by the Sabbat in '89, according to her background, what combined with the travails of Calinot, Cincao and Wyncham seems to paint a clan Tremere quite besieged in the period. Just a thought.

I don't know how connected is Grimgroth to his Ars Magica precursor and namesake, but the time of that one's death/disappearance was during the fall and breaking of the siege of Mistridge, amidst the strife of the Albigensian Crusade (1209-1229), so if both are the same (as the picture used seems to indicate) the time of his embrace would be about then or sometime after it.

Also, Valerius Maior, from Kindred Most Wanted, is mentioned as a major rival of Grimgroth in the Tremere hierarchy, possibly even for the councillor chair, before his going rogue. Reading his background might offer some useful tidbits in situating in what period did Grimgroth rise to councilor (be warned, Valerius has the most unusual Tremere background ever, to the point of making his identification as a Tremere questionable).

Speaking of Nicolai and his sire Stromberg... Stromberg sounds german, Nicolai Antonescu screams romanian and before "the incident" where both ended as kindred they lived in the "Kundera Covenant", Kundera being a czech surname, so Central to Eastern Europe seems like a pretty good bet. Also, Nicolai has mentor 5, what implies that someone with a justicar level of influence still looks out for him.

Also worth mentioning in my opinion might be:
                        - Ignatius from Necropolis Atlanta (5th gen, embrace 1276, sire Cornelius), who might have been either a Tremere bigwig or "just" a very potent and insular autarkis (and probable diablerist).

- Mesita, the sire of Dr. Mortius (7th gen, embrace 1566) whose mission in investigating Milwaukee's "magic zone" might have come from the council itself (that said, he has "only" mentor 4).

- Shavrael, the sire of Mistress Fanchon (6th gen, embrace 1223/1357) of the Founders of the Camarilla (a name in Fanchon's data in Transylvania Chronicles II).

- Lord Casmir (6th gen, embrace 1097), member of the Conspiracy of Isaac. While his stats in Last Supper are not that awesome, just his age and generation put him on the same tier as Celestyn, Abetorius and Malgorzata. That along with some infernalist vibes his fluff seem to give off (not to mention antitribu childe in Blood & Fire) make him an interesting NPC to mention, for the question of who his sire might be (Goratrix or another?) and his possible ties to the early Sabbat or infernalism within either clan or sect.

Hope this is of some use. Have fun and great game.

edit: just checked clanbook Tremere, it clearly connects Grimgoth's rise to Goratrix fall and the templars debacle, so 1314 or soon after indeed. Feel free to ignore my comments about Valerius.
                        Last edited by Baaldam; 01-26-2017, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Great stuff there Baaldam! I missed a few of those, so thank you VERY much for mentioning them!

Much appreciated all!

Comment

I hope this is helpful. I created this while reading House of Tremere. I crossreferenced some sources for further information.

848 -The great Magus Tremere is narrowly prevented by his peers from leading the newly unified Order of Hermes.

1003 - The Schism Wars between several factions of Magi. House Diedne is destroyed.

The Consecration: 980
                            (plus 2 dozen of servants)
                            Tremere: a tall man with coal black eyes
                            Goratrix
                            Etrius
                            Meerlinda: standing across Tremere, placid, consoling
                            Arundinis: dies in the next century
                            Anguisa: dies the next spring
                            Ponticulus: the day Ceoris was born is the day of his death

(The Ritual: Tremere magi already had inured to dark ritual doings, having developed a taste for the grimmer pages of their tomes.)

The Construction: 981-985

The Early Years:
                            980-999: occasional raids form the “creatures of the night” against Ceoris and other Chantries. They seem disorganized, bandit attacks.
                            995: First discussion on magical failings.
                            996: Goratrix asserts the lessening of vis.
                            997: Great Conclave of Tremere Magi hosted at Ceoris.
                            998-1000: Goratrix leads research on the subject within Ceoris halls. Arundinis is killed, seemingly by an attack using animated vegetation.

The Questing Years: 1000-1021
                            Investigation on every possible substitute for immortality.
                            Autumnal equinox of Anno Domini 1003: Etrius’ hell-mouth, a failed experiment with demonology.
                            1005: after discovering the Fiend Roland (a child of Rustovich [876 AD The Tzimisce Kosczecsyku Embraces Vladimir Rustovich in Hungary]), responsible for Arundinis death, Goratrix arrests the vampire. He is made to Embrace two apprentices, Stephen and Pharus.
                            After 1011, with Epistatia’s help, Goratrix travels the spirit worlds and contacts two different entities who provide him with crucial information: Roots of All and Stars Above.

The Becoming: 1022
                            Tremere
                            Etrius
                            Goratrix
                            Meerlinda
                            Calderon
                            +2?
                            For seven years they were ordered to stay at Ceoris, to master their new condition.

Crisis Within: 1026-1036 - Etrius attacked by Goratrix’s apprentice Vitorio in a Bonisagi Chantry in Thessalonica. Order of Hermes uncovers a civil war in House Tremere and accuses its magi of using infernal powers. Tremere travels to various important Chantries in the Order to calm their leaders.

Cornerstones of the Pyramid: 1037
                            Tremere forces the Inner Council of Seven into a Blood Bound with him. Tremere and Etrius go into a journey into Europe and the Holy Lands in search of Cainite secrets. Goratrix becomes Ceoris’ master.

The Reign of Goratrix: 1037-1133
                            Years of worst fighting among Tremere magi and Tzimisce: 1040, 1046, 1062, 1066, 1086 and 1105. From 1047 to 1061 and 1067 to 1085 wards are erected to keep night creatures from even approaching Tremere holdings, and Chantries are rebuilt. Wards then fail, enemy armies descend once more and magi flee to Ceoris.
                            Many Tremere are Embraced around this period.
                            The attacks in 1105 crushes all Transylvanian Chantries outside Ceoris.
                            Until 1109 Goratrix studies the changes vampirism causes. From 1110 to 1120, Goratrix began to seek older vampires (“genuine vampires”) to study, and Ceoris’ dungeons became full.
                            1121: the first Gargoyle, named Chaundice, is created. By 1125 enough Gargoyles were created to be let loose upon Tremere enemies.

The Researches of Tremere and Etrius: 1037-1133
                            Thaumaturgy is created, adapting Hermetic Magic to vitae properties. The first 7 decades were almost pure theoretical work. In the last 20 years the powers were used to translation and conversion.
                            By 1121 they were out in search for hints of literature on vampirism. They discover about Diablerie. Tremere slays an older vampire in Rome and consumes his vitae.
                            From 1126 to 1132 they tracked down Methuselahs. They would gather the Inner Council, and plan an attack together.

1133: Saulot’s Diablerie. Salubri began to be systematically hunted since then.

Around 1150: the first envoys of other Clans come to Ceoris.

1169: bad year for Tzimisce in battles, 1176 is worse.

1202: First Massassa War.

1313: Celestyn leaves Ceoris for the last time.

1314: Goratrix turns his back on Tremere.

Comment

Great timeline there valismedsen! Your help is much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                              X