Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you buy a translated Vienna by Night?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daredevil View Post
    Please allow me to clarify.

I have zero interest in publishing my own translation.

I want to give my money to CCP and Feder & Schwert for the translated book.

I am asking if others would do the same.

This Post's intent is to generate interest in what would be a profitable and fun business venture for all involved.
    Then allow me to clarify. CCP will under no circumstances agree to what you have in mind. I'm quite certain of that. The official licencee for the German WoD is Ulisses Spiele, and even they are not allowed to publish anything beside the books covered by their licence. They are not allowed to reprint any of the old German WoD publications, and the same applies to new WoD books (like "Lore of the Clans"). One of the stretch goals of the recent German V20 campaign was a plain and simple pad of character sheets. Not covered by the licence, had to be canceled . Ulisses offered a Ultra-Deluxe version of the rulebook (genuine leather and God knows what else they had in mind) - not covered by the licence, had to be canceled at the eleventh hour . A pdf of the character sheet will be available on the Ulisses homepage, but a fillable pdf will not be available as it isn't (you guessed it) covered by the licence .

It's not just a matter of "I give them money, and they publish the book we want". It's a matter of what is covered by the licence agreement. "Wiener Blut" definitively isn't covered at all, and to add it to the portfolio would cost lots of money (probably more than we would imagine) and time to negotiate a new agreement.

So let me ask again: Do you really think there is any chance that CCP will agree to your plan of a translated "Vienna by Night"...?

Would you be interested in this theoretical purchase, Donovan Rivers?
    No, I wouldn't as I'm German and own the original sourcebook.

Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

What it says on the tin. (And inspired by this post.)

Would you purchase a translated Feder & Schwert's Vienna by Night?

Would crowdfunding work better, or pre-orders?

EDIT:
      I love the picture on page on page 4 of the preview doc.

You know it's bad if Etrius & Goratrix are working together.
      Damn, yeah

I almost tried to learn German only for the sake of reading it °__°

====================================
      "Worst English language User" 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 running for the 2015
      [Unofficial Clanbook] Nagaraja: the Masquerade

Comment

Yea I would buy it if for nothing else to read it.

Comment

I would buy any of the city/country sourcebooks that have yet to be translated into English.

Comment

Bumping this, because with the rise of the new White Wolf, something like this becomes a much more likely possibility.

Comment

hm, maybe. But since i already believe to ahve the english version i doubt id buy ig again to have it in german. but my players dont speak englsih well they may want to get it in german

Comment

Yes. 100% yes.

Edit: As I'm currently running a Tremere-oriented chronicle, hell, I'd probably even buy a German version, if it was a proper PDF rather than a scan, so I could Google-translate it.

Edit again: wait, can you copy-paste with that version?
                Last edited by Blitzburger; 01-18-2017, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Please allow me to clarify.

I have zero interest in publishing my own translation.

I want to give my money to CCP and Feder & Schwert for the translated book.

I am asking if others would do the same.

This Post's intent is to generate interest in what would be a profitable and fun business venture for all involved.

Would you be interested in this theoretical purchase, Donovan Rivers?
                  I would not be interested in a translated "Vienna by night". First of all, I already own the German version (I'm German myself), so I wouldn't need a translation. Second, I found this sourcebook not that helpful for our chronicle, so even if the translation was updated (the original German version is 20 years old) I couldn't use most of the material in our stories. And third, we play mostly off-canon, so most of the material in the sourcebooks contradicts the events and characters in our chronicle.
                  To make a long story short: I would pass on "Vienna by night".

Oh, and by the way: I don't think Feder & Schwert has any say in this matter anymore, as the German edition of V20 is now published by Ulisses Spiele. And they have no intent (or no rights) whatsoever to publish old material (they didn't even publish a single new V20 sourcebook after those that came along with the initial crowdfunding...).

Growing old is mandatory
                  Growing up is optional

Comment

Yup. I would.

Comment

I would buy it too.

Comment

If it were available, I'd absolutely splash out on it.

The Concord of Ashes, my Dark Ages Vampire Chronicle

Comment

Absolutely. I'm especially interested in it due to the geographical (to Budapest, Vienna is literally the closest neighbor) and historical reasons between Austria and Hungary, so it would be a great source to me.

If nothing worked, then let's think!

Comment

Originally posted by PMárk View Post
                            Absolutely. I'm especially interested in it due to the geographical (to Budapest, Vienna is literally the closest neighbor) and historical reasons between Austria and Hungary, so it would be a great source to me.
                            As an aside, i think there's some Dark Ages material related to Budapest in Transylvania by Night. You might already know, but i thought it was relevant to bring up in relation to your post.

PS: In fact the book has a box listing the NPCs per domain/region at the start of the chapter 4, what should be of considerable use. Some of those NPCs will also make appearances with varying degrees of relevance across the Transylvania Chronicles books. Houses of Tremere might make good reference material too, as it has info on Ceoris, that being located somewhere in Transylvania should also be relatively close too, i guess.
                            Last edited by Baaldam; 03-07-2017, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Volesus View Post
                              Yes, same for me. I must have alll of the By Night series, ALL OF THEM!

And I think crowdfunding would work fine for it. A translation and print job (with no new artwork or anything) would require a very modest goal, and I am sure that could be reached.
                              I'm in. So whose palms do we have to grease in order to get this ball rolling?

Comment

Working...
                              X