Roleplaying fully Blood Bound PC's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roleplaying fully Blood Bound PC's

In my current campaign all PC’s are blood bound 2 steps towards their sires, but in the near future, and in line with Act III in Transylvania Chronicles I, they might be compelled to complete the blood bond. I need some advice to communicate to my players on how to roleplay characters fully bloodbound to their sires in the event this happens. Have you had this fully bloodbound PC’s in your own chronicles? How did it work out?

/Ho Dracon
    Last edited by Ho Dracon; 06-04-2015, 07:33 AM. Reason: Typos

All the time, and literally as the text says. You love the person, and would do anything for them. You are as close to fully in love/infatuated as possible if not more than a human can understand. Act accordingly. If they try to not act like it, make them spend a willpower for the scene as the book states you have to do, to go against your regents commands. If that doesn't seem to sink in, back it up with dominates and such, which make it all the easier because they are bound.

Comment

Ideally, a good roleplayer should make their character as insufferably focused on the regnant as friends tend to get when they're first falling in love with a significant other. Have them blow off normal responsibilities and social appointments in order to spend time around that NPC, mention them constantly in conversations, etc.

Comment

Other than how such a character should react, what you want is a reason for your players to have an interest in playing a character so bound. I've cut corners around this before and it was a little disappointing. I've thought about it a bit since then, and I think the best way to achieve it lies in the build-up. Forget the out-of-character knowledge that this third tier may happen or why. In-character, they might have a few little rationalizations why they like their regnant as much as they do already. If a player can break out a father-complex or express several qualities in the regnant which are just attractive to them, that's when you've got 'em. You can play this up with the promise that the regnant wants to take the character further into his confidence. It's not that the regnant wants to bind them as much as it is that he finally thinks the character deserves the thing that comes with it. To make it really pay off, you have to actually seduce the player while the character is seduced artificially.
        Last edited by warmerdutch; 06-04-2015, 04:58 PM.

Currently running (kpwarmerdam.nl/tabletop)
        City of Black Miracles (VtM)
        What Comes After (WtO)

Comment

I'd check in advance if the players are happy with this. There are ways for players to duck out of it like buying the Unbondable Merit, but plenty of players would rather not deal with such changes in their characters anyway. The Blood Bond can be and often is forced and unwelcome in-character, but probably shouldn't be out of character.

I'd also look at the relationships as they currently stand. A Bond may create feelings of fascination, admiration and love, but there are plenty of stories of vampires hating, opposing and even destroying their Regnants, so if the characters are already antagonistic the sire might forego the Bond as they don't want a resentful childe obsessing over them constantly...

Craig Oxbrow
          The Trinity Continuum freelancer

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Oxbrow View Post
            I'd check in advance if the players are happy with this. There are ways for players to duck out of it like buying the Unbondable Merit, but plenty of players would rather not deal with such changes in their characters anyway. The Blood Bond can be and often is forced and unwelcome in-character, but probably shouldn't be out of character.

I'd also look at the relationships as they currently stand. A Bond may create feelings of fascination, admiration and love, but there are plenty of stories of vampires hating, opposing and even destroying their Regnants, so if the characters are already antagonistic the sire might forego the Bond as they don't want a resentful childe obsessing over them constantly...
            wth...ask if someone wants to be blood bound? LOL...no way.

Comment

Originally posted by Asssassin View Post

wth...ask if someone wants to be blood bound? LOL...no way.

If the player doesn't want to be blood bound and will find the experience unfun why should someone push it?

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

If the player doesn't want to be blood bound and will find the experience unfun why should someone push it?
                Because that's a part of Vampire...? Elders use it to get control of pawns all the time. You asking a character ooc about there want should be irrelevant. I mean there is even merits to disguise your blood as wine and what not. That's part and parcel of the personal horror. If you are taking it as a flaw and what not, then yeah talk about who is your regnant and why you are with them..and blah blah, but anything done in game, should not be talked about before hand. My coterie usually just matches up in game, and has two people bound each other if some elders start pulling that shenanigans. All it does is stop the full bound to anyone else, and make the group stronger for defensive issues. Just don't get paired to an idiot (and if they are an idiot, why are they playing vampire? this game isn't like d20 hack and slashs).

Comment

The characters might be stuck suffering in untenable circumstances, but the players can just leave if the game isn't fun for them. Certainly there's a place for dropping problems on their characters without warning, but this is a situation that might call for a different approach, hence my suggestions.

Craig Oxbrow
                  The Trinity Continuum freelancer

Comment

Originally posted by Asssassin View Post

Because that's a part of Vampire...? Elders use it to get control of pawns all the time. You asking a character ooc about there want should be irrelevant. I mean there is even merits to disguise your blood as wine and what not. That's part and parcel of the personal horror. If you are taking it as a flaw and what not, then yeah talk about who is your regnant and why you are with them..and blah blah, but anything done in game, should not be talked about before hand. My coterie usually just matches up in game, and has two people bound each other if some elders start pulling that shenanigans. All it does is stop the full bound to anyone else, and make the group stronger for defensive issues. Just don't get paired to an idiot (and if they are an idiot, why are they playing vampire? this game isn't like d20 hack and slashs).

I am not asking a character what they want oocly. I am asking the player. I mean randomly hitting a Toreador with max appearance with viss to make them nos ugly is also a potential part of the setting but if someone pulled that shit I'd walk. And having Cotories bloodbond eachother to keep from getting hit by npcs just comes off to me as metagaming that could have easily been covered by "hey we don't want to be blood bound"

Comment

Having a Coteries blood-bound to each other is not metagaming, it's something that actual coteries have done in universe, most notably by the first four Archons of the Camarilla:

Comment

Originally posted by Lys View Post
                        Having a Coteries blood-bound to each other is not metagaming, it's something that actual coteries have done in universe, most notably by the first four Archons of the Camarilla:

Happens in universe? Yes. his setup? Purest metagaming.

Comment

Why? What difference is there that makes it metagaming? In both cases vampires are agreeing to blood oaths to people they trust in order to strengthen the group and prevent being bound by others.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys View Post
                            Why? What difference is there that makes it metagaming? In both cases vampires are agreeing to blood oaths to people they trust in order to strengthen the group and prevent being bound by others.
                            Wait, isn't that exactly what the Vaulderie is?

Comment

The Vaulderie is a little different in that it's a collective bond that makes it easier to integrate members into the group, it's for the most part less intense than the actual Blood Oath, and it never fades away (i don't like this part, but that's what the rules are); but the general principle behind it is the same, yes.

Comment

Working...
                              X