Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many discipline per turn?

Like title.

Hi, your question doesn't have an explicit answer (if you speak of V20 edition). In the V20 manual does not say anything about what you ask.
    I can tell you how I set it in my limited experience of Storyteller. Someone with more experience will tell you more detail or difference from my method.
    I distinguish between:
    -Physical Disciplines (Celerity, Fortitude and Potence): You can also use them all in the same turn (in fact, in V20, spending BP to activate Celerity can go beyond the limit of the generation! So you can use Celerity and Potence together!)
    -Others Disciplines: You can use them only once per turn, in other words only a discipline per turn/round.

For the Others Discipline you should use a lot of "common sense", for example, for Domination, during a round (only for a Storyteller like me) the player can't use Mesmerism (level 2, because it takes time and concentration), but he can use Command (level 1, like Alt!, Run !, Shot, etc).

Comment

I am not sure if I understand the question right. As I understood it, the answer is: as long the rules don't tell you otherwise, there is no limit, how many disciplines you can use in a turn. It dose not have to, because there is a limit of actions and blood, you can use in a turn. That is enough to keep things on the ground.

Comment

I make life easy: one Discipline activation per turn. Some Disciplines (Fortitude, Potence) are entirely passive and don't need to be "activated" and others are activated and remain "online" for quite a while, meaning you can activate another one the next turn. But any power that needs to be "turned on" takes up your entire turn. No growing Protean Claws and attacking on the same turn. No Dominating 3 people in the same turn by splitting your pool. It just makes life a lot easier. Discipline rules are already stupidly complicated. No need to include the also-stupid multiple action system in the chaos.

I'm a professor! Why is no one listening to me?!

Comment

Originally posted by Sethos View Post
          I am not sure if I understand the question right. As I understood it, the answer is: as long the rules don't tell you otherwise, there is no limit, how many disciplines you can use in a turn. It dose not have to, because there is a limit of actions and blood, you can use in a turn. That is enough to keep things on the ground.
          Yes i mean it.

Originally posted by Telgar View Post
          I make life easy: one Discipline activation per turn. Some Disciplines (Fortitude, Potence) are entirely passive and don't need to be "activated" and others are activated and remain "online" for quite a while, meaning you can activate another one the next turn. But any power that needs to be "turned on" takes up your entire turn. No growing Protean Claws and attacking on the same turn. No Dominating 3 people in the same turn by splitting your pool. It just makes life a lot easier. Discipline rules are already stupidly complicated. No need to include the also-stupid multiple action system in the chaos.
          Nice... thanks for reaply

Comment

is that official or House-rule? I Guess I missed that.

Comment

It's a house rule. The official version is too complicated because WW never defined the action system for the World of Darkness in anything but vague terms. It's almost impossible to tell what is an action, what's reflexive, what enhances an action, what counts as an action, how to do multiple actions when one action hasn't got a dice pool... it's just a mess.

So, one Discipline = one turn.

Comment

The systems (there's lots of cWOD ones...) generally define the types of actions fairly clearly.

The problem lays far more in the Disciplines generally failing to be clear about the nature of the action needed to activate the powers; even if it was something as simple as, "Unless it says otherwise, activating a Discipline - including requisite actions such as speaking to use Dominate 1 - takes your character's full attention during which they cannot take any non-reflexive actions."

I'd actually much rather that as the house rule (90% of the time it would have the same effect). If Discipline doesn't say it can either be activated reflexively, or doesn't take your full action, it would be one Discipline = one turn (and actually expands it to make sure the extended action Disciplines are covered). Most of the exceptions are the physical Disciplines and Protean; which seems completely appropriate to me.

Comment

but i like to give my player the use of presence and dominate in the same turn

Because i use the rule of multiple action, if a discipline need a non-reflexive roll to be used the roll have the dice malus...

Edit: i use this rules for Vicissitude player... Bonecraft it's much powerfull used in the same turn than a clinch
                  Last edited by Rettile&Blitch; 09-02-2015, 07:16 AM.

Comment

I can't think of any Presence or Dominate powers that wouldn't require a full action. Are they splitting their actions to use both in a turn? That just seems off to me. But whatever works for your game, mate.

Comment

awe wouldn't use a full action. Command wouldn't use a full action. You smuggle these into other actions like dancing, conversation, walking or whatever.

I do really agree that they need to put some more info on this though.

I know you can't stack multiple discipline uses with celerity, but can one use a single discipline use in a celerity turn? Say I need to first dodge and then use x, could I do that?

Another thought

If you're holding/held by someone, can you grow claws into them?
                      Last edited by Innocent Flower; 09-02-2015, 03:24 PM.

Comment

I can't think of any Presence or Dominate powers that wouldn't require a full action. Are they splitting their actions to use both in a turn? That just seems off to me. But whatever works for your game, mate.
                        Majesty pretty clearly doesn't require a full action.

Most of Dominate is actually pretty complicated because while using Dominate successfully clearly has a lot of caveats on what you can do while using it, those same caveats and requirements make it clear that you can do somethings (mostly talking) while using Dominate. Dominate's higher levels are also generally involve a significant amount of time beyond activation; beyond the amount of talking that would be considered a reflexive action that you could claim allows speaking and Command to be usable at the same time.

Comment

Speaking isn't an action. And activating Majesty should be an action. How is it clearly not one? Having it be active isn't an action, obviously, nor is Awe. But the act of turning on the power should take a full turn. Same for Command. You're spending a full action to engage in eye contact, summon your mental brain-whammy and command them. You can't Command someone to "Freeze!" and then steal their wallet in the same turn. Using Dominate 1 takes the entire turn.

Comment

Speaking is an action... it just doesn't inherently take up your full turn. Everything your character does is an action. It's just that most of them are reflexive so they don't count against your actions for the turn.

Majesty simply requires spending a WP to activate. Spending WP is reflexive. There's nothing you need to do. You just spend a WP and you're too awesome to attack. What in the description of the power says anything about it that even implies it takes even more than a moment of thought to turn on?

And Command is pretty irrelevant to my point... especially since I pretty thoroughly addressed it already.

Comment

Telgar, I have to disagree with your stance that almost every activation of a discipline requires an action. For example, I just have players blow a blood point and poof, they activate their Protean claws. I think you're being too restrictive, and this is coming from a guy who just uses the core V20 book, Chicago by Night, and that's it to run a campaign.

Comment

Working...
                              X