How do you run Specialties?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you run Specialties?

Almost every edition of Vampire has handled "Specialties" differently. Sometimes they let you roll 10's again, sometimes they have 10's count as two successes, sometimes they add dice. Sometimes you buy them multiple times. Sometimes you can only have them for Abilities.

How do you run Specialties?

Here's how I run them:
    • Learning the 4th dot of an Attribute or Ability grants a Specialty.
    • Learning the 5th dot of an Attribute or Ability grants an additional Specialty.
    • The first Specialty that applies to a roll causes 10's to be rolled a second time, allowing for multiple successes from a single die. Re-rolls that come up 10's are re-rolled again, as many times as 10's result.
    • Any additional applicable specialties beyond the first add 1 die to the roll.
    • Specialties must be specialized, not synonyms for the Attribute or Ability they augment.
    • Re-rolled 1's, or 1's from dice granted by Specialties will not cause a botch, or subtract from successes.

I'm a professor! Why is no one listening to me?!

I do the ten's count as two, saves time on rerolling.

Comment

Yeah tens count as two is faster and easier, so that's what we do. Everyone gets a free speciality when their Attribute or Ability reaches 4, and can buy additional ones for... i think it was 3xp? The ST has final say in whether or not a speciality is allowed.

Comment

So do you guys allow Attribute and Ability specialties? If so, what happens when someone has both specialties apply, from an Attribute and Ability?

Comment

I still treat it as a ten equals to successes, keeps down on the twinking

Comment

Same here, specialities simply do not stack. If you have at least one that is applicable, then tens equal two success and that's it.

Comment

I disagree that being good at something is twinking, but I can see that it's simpler to not have any stacking allowed. My view is that if someone has Medicine 4 with a specialty in Pathology, and they also have Perception 4 with a specialty in Seeing Little Details, they should be more adept at being Temperance Brennan than someone who has a Medicine specialty in First Aid or Poisons.

Do both of you allow Attributes and Abilities to have Specialties? If so, wouldn't the much more broadly applicable Attribute specialties easily overshadow the narrower Ability specialties?

Comment

If they have amazing specializations that over lap just lower the difficulty and ten's count as two successes

Comment

We run it as:

- Characters may only Specialize in Abilities;
                  - 10's count as two successes;
                  - The 4th dot in an Ability grants a Specialty;
                  - The 5th dot allows the purchase of an additional Specialties for that Ability;
                  - The character may have a number of Specialties equal to their Intelligence rating, which allows for a multi-disciplinarian approach (holding multiple Doctorates, for example);
                  - Specialties are bought at x4 experience points (the first Specialty is granted with getting that 4th dot, so to purchase an additional Specialty with the 5th dot would be 4 points, a third Specialty 8 points, etc., up to the cap);
                  - Specialties do not "stack" and only one Specialty applies per roll.

To date, I've only had one player purchase three Specialties, in Archery, in a Dark Ages game, and not because they were limited by having an Intelligence of 3, but simply because they felt the points were better spent elsewhere. I've found that most players are perfectly happy with having two Specializations in an Ability - a general Cainite Lore and a more specific Clan Lore for Occult, for instance.

Cheers!

If you don't use an Oxford comma, I feel bad for you, son,
                  'Cuz I got ninety-nine problems, but clarity ain't one.

Comment

In my rules the ten always values 2 ( to keep balance with 1 ) and specialization let you reroll 10

Comment

If you only allow specialties for Abilities, I don't think stacking is an issue, since it's extremely unlikely two specialties in a single Ability would both apply to one roll. Specialties should be specialized.

Comment

Telgar It's for the rare occasion where the Specialties may overlap - the aforementioned Cainite and Clan Lores, for example. Clean rules, and all that.

Cheers!

If you don't use an Oxford comma, I feel bad for you, son,
                        'Cuz I got ninety-nine problems, but clarity ain't one.

Comment

Been using the rule where tens count as two successes when specialties are involved since V20 (the first time I heard of the rule).

I allow specialties in both Abilities and Attributes, but haven't experienced any overlap - as Lys mentioned, even if a roll could benefit from a listed specialty in an Attribute and another from an Ability, tens counts as two successes and that's it.

Any Ability or Attribute at four gains a free specialty, and I allow them to be bought (in character creation, I charge 1 freebie) at any level. There are those Abilities (Crafts, Performance, Academic, etc.) that have a free mandatory specialty at level 1.

I like to use specialties instead of Secondary Abilities. So, for instance, I allow martial arts to be a specialty in Brawl, Athletics and Melee, to represent training in a specific school (boxing, kung-fu, judo, etc), same for weapon type in Melee (broad sword, battle axe, long sword, knife). I also use specialties in Knowledges to represent specific fields of studies (Alchemy in Occult, History in Academics, Metallurgy in Science).
                          Last edited by valismedsen; 04-03-2016, 12:02 PM.

Comment

10's count as two successes, the first specialty at 4th and a second at 5th with each dot above 5 also giving an additional specialty. I allow the 5th dot specialty to be a double specialty of the 4th dot specialty increasing the successes of a 10 from two to three success. A specialty cannot ever go above a double specialty. I allow for both Attribute and Ability specialties, but only one specialty can apply to a given roll.

Comment

The problem I've always had with specialties is with combat Abilities, having a specialty in the weapon you always use effectively makes it always active. Instead I insist on specialties like "Ambushes" or "Called Shot" or "While Prone".

Comment

Working...
                              X