Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Malkavian Derangements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    lilappleblossom: To me, it’s not a matter of being serious, just disruptive. Every group is different, but mine will take more Heath Ledger and much less Cesar Romero. YMMV.


    This is what happens when an Abyssal Exalted ends up in H.o.L.
    (Also known as "Derpwraith" and "PretentiousFontsGuy
    ").

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Nazfool View Post
      lilappleblossom: To me, it’s not a matter of being serious, just disruptive. Every group is different, but mine will take more Heath Ledger and much less Cesar Romero. YMMV.
      Again, I suppose because the only Malkavians I've run into have been NPCs, I may have a biased view. I want to play a malkavian desperately but I can never solidify a concept in my mind that would be fun and tragic. I usually go one way or the other.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Pleiades View Post
        Why so much hate. I'm sure we all know or knew a friend or an acquaintance with mental issues.

        They're annoying, they're disruptive, often dangerous and we always want them out of our way. Yet, it doesn't stop us from keeping them in our company. Because we learned to swallow our disgust and rage and take it to the gut.

        Real life is not here to make it easy on us, it never was. Why should it be any different in VtM?
        I would have gone for the more sensitive, nice version and said ' we do it because we love them.' But the idea is the same, I suppose.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Pleiades View Post
          Why so much hate. I'm sure we all know or knew a friend or an acquaintance with mental issues.

          They're annoying, they're disruptive, often dangerous and we always want them out of our way. Yet, it doesn't stop us from keeping them in our company. Because we learned to swallow our disgust and rage and take it to the gut.

          Real life is not here to make it easy on us, it never was. Why should it be any different in VtM?
          I'm going to wager that you don't take your insane friend on corporate meetings or blackops ninja operations.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Rumata View Post
            I'm going to wager that you don't take your insane friend on corporate meetings or blackops ninja operations.
            Like Christopher Titus said 'You don't bring your relative with heart problems on a roller coaster and you don't bring your mentally ill relative on a hunting trip with you.'

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Rumata View Post
              Don't forget that "madness is wacky" was a major part of Malkavians from the start. "Fishmalk" comes from an actual picture of naked malkavian holding a fish. 1e malks ran around with fairies and pulled off wacky pranks on people because they were oh so craaaaaazy.
              Yeah, so there's a serious division in I think what the way the Malkavians SHOULD be played as.

              I don't dislike comedy in my horror.

              However, I know it really pisses some people off and ruins their immersion.

              Also, bad comedy and WACKY is made WORSE by making it at the fun of the mentally ill.


              Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Pleiades View Post
                Why so much hate. I'm sure we all know or knew a friend or an acquaintance with mental issues.

                They're annoying, they're disruptive, often dangerous and we always want them out of our way. Yet, it doesn't stop us from keeping them in our company. Because we learned to swallow our disgust and rage and take it to the gut.

                Real life is not here to make it easy on us, it never was. Why should it be any different in VtM?
                I think my thought on the subject is:

                Malkavians should be weird, incomprehensible, and troubling. They should also not be allowed to get away with murder, subtle, and dangerous.

                More David Lynch, less Python.


                Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Interesting responses. In my experience, most gamers have suffered from derangement level mental illnesses, it is just that they are either on medications that allow them to function or have used therapy to help them through their illnesses. There should be no more shame in admitting to have experienced mental illness than admitting to have experienced physical illness, but there is still a social taboo associated with mental illness. In fact, I think I can safely say that we are all people who could be Malkavians if there were no treatments for our troubles.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Rumata View Post
                    I'm going to wager that you don't take your insane friend on corporate meetings or blackops ninja operations.
                    why? I can thing of two of them being able to handle a corporate meeting much better than I would. One of them was also a player at our table, and one of the best players (even though he was scary as fuck).

                    If you judge that a Malk is not suited for a corporate meeting, then it means she's not suited for a corporate meeting. It's a separate case, it's not a generality. It's no different than bringing a Torrie harpy to a Sabbat ritae Gathering.

                    Anyway, VtM gives a wide range of options. If some Malk cannot be contained, lock'em up. If the player is upset, well: "I'm just playing my character, he's that crazy aha ha ha ha".


                    -

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
                      Interesting responses. In my experience, most gamers have suffered from derangement level mental illnesses, it is just that they are either on medications that allow them to function or have used therapy to help them through their illnesses. There should be no more shame in admitting to have experienced mental illness than admitting to have experienced physical illness, but there is still a social taboo associated with mental illness. In fact, I think I can safely say that we are all people who could be Malkavians if there were no treatments for our troubles.
                      Huh, the gamers I know are all absent of any mental conditions while my non-gaming friends are the ones who have struggled with it.

                      Funny that.


                      Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Part of the problem with the wacky crazy malkavian players is that they think they are being clever, but they really aren't.

                        ​For example consider the irish man in Braveheart, to me he would be a good malkavian. He has competent skills and clearly has goals and motivations, he just "talks to god" unlike everyone else. Now consider how the film would have felt off tone if his character wasn't combat capable, was so deluded he couldn't deal with a given situation or if he never had all the people from his island show up to save the day. To tell the truth, it would make for a waste of film because he wouldn't really add to the plot or the movie. That sadly is what many "whacky" malks end up being, essentially an attention whore and a time sink for the story, rather than adding to it.

                        A great malkavian would have been Hannibal Lecter from the TV series. Fully functional, capable in most situations and completely able to drive everyone around him into madness. It is this sort of combination of functionality and personality dysfunction that makes malks fascinating to have in games.

                        You could even go so far as to say use the Doctors from the M.A.S.H. movie or series as malks, in that their crazy behavior is a coping method of derangement. But it never takes away from their ability to actually function at their jobs.

                        Loony toons reskinned in goth genre doesn't really work. Unless you want to run an all malk game which means you are essentially running a Tiny Toons Halloween episode, which is perfectly valid, but is so niche you can't realistically expect to take that into other peoples games.
                        Last edited by Thoth; 08-11-2016, 03:09 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Can't remember the name, but the one where your Powers are insane and you aren't. So they trigger once per session without you trying, but I play it like this; the PC is angry with an NPC, really really angry. So an aggressive power like Dementation 1, 2 or 4 seems fair. Or maybe the PC is trying to ignore something, doesn't want to know something... their Auspex turns on and now they are forced to listen or watch. Maybe they're waiting for a meeting quietly, and Obfuscate 1 turns on.

                          Makes for a tonne of fun and creative torture on my part... just make sure the PC likes the idea and is happy to run with it.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            My current Malkavian primogen (Mother Irina) lost all her children (and endured terrible hardships) during Ivan the Terrible's sack of Novgorod. As a result, she never leaves her mansion (agoraphobia), instead relying on Auspex for knowledge and speaking through her own completely Dominate-posessed (vampire) children. Should the PC's catch her attention (and they do so remind her of her lost children), she tries to lure them to her mansion, where she will try to force them to stay. And she can be ever so persuasive.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Eddie Fiori View Post
                              My current Malkavian primogen (Mother Irina) lost all her children (and endured terrible hardships) during Ivan the Terrible's sack of Novgorod. As a result, she never leaves her mansion (agoraphobia), instead relying on Auspex for knowledge and speaking through her own completely Dominate-posessed (vampire) children. Should the PC's catch her attention (and they do so remind her of her lost children), she tries to lure them to her mansion, where she will try to force them to stay. And she can be ever so persuasive.
                              She sounds like fun.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Interesting, how does she get blood? Does she have her children bring her victims?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X