Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vampire: tM 5th Edition

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Vampire: tM 5th Edition

    Ok, so at this years Grand Masquerade and 24 Years Anniversy of V:tm, White Wolf Publishing made it official that the next V:tm rpg will is the 5th edition of the game, and will hopefully be released sometime Winter 2018.

    What else we know so far about Vampire: the Masquerade 5th Edition, facts:

    * Disciplines and Feeding will work by the "You are what you eat"-philosophy.
    * Core institutions and concepts like "The Camarilla", "the Beast" and others will have have changed or shifted in meaning or operation in varying degrees.
    * The metaplot for 5th edition will start right before the event known as Gehenna.
    * The game (and it's mechanics?) will treat humans not as blood bags but as individuals that matter.
    * All licensees of the franchise will get the same "bible" to help unify the world and game universe. Helps the metaplot stay relevant and consistent.
    * Metaplot progress will focus on real life players being the main characters. Transmedia will be a huge focus.

    Rumors:
    * Humans might be more aware of the prescence of supernatural entities and dangers in the world.
    * There might have been a war among Vampires for the graves of the ancients

    Something I missed from what's been said now or previously?





    Last edited by IgnyteZero; 09-05-2016, 11:15 AM.



  • #2
    * Metaplot progress will focus on real life players being the main characters. Transmedia will be a huge focus.
    What does that mean? metaplot will be based on actual games? something like the LARP metaplot?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Pleiades View Post

      What does that mean? metaplot will be based on actual games? something like the LARP metaplot?
      It means the players won't just be standing by riding shotgun as the canon characters actually drive the plot

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by IgnyteZero View Post

        * Disciplines and Feeding will work by the "You are what you eat"-philosophy.
        Depending on the implementation this could be good or very restrictive on character concepts and rp. How I'd track it? How'd you sinc it with the feeding restrictions of Ventrues? Am I need to constantly hunt down certain types of victims just to use my disciplines? What about not so obvious ones, like protean, vicissitude, animalism, serpentis, quietus, etc? Again, that seems overly restrictive. While hunting on paper is an important part of a vampire'"s life, during a game it could turn tiresome to constantly minigaming it instead of advancing with the story. What if I feed from a type person not connected to any of my disciplines? How they would balance it with other splats' powers and their replenishing mechanics?

        * Core institutions and concepts like "The Camarilla", "the Beast" and others will have have changed or shifted in meaning or operation in varying degrees.
        We'll see. It's not saying anything about the changes just there'll be changes.

        * The metaplot for 5th edition will start right before the event known as Gehenna.
        I'm not a big fan of "countdown to the end of the world!!!!!!" premise, I think that necessiated the ending of WoD in the first place. But depending on their concept of gehenna, this could be good also.

        * Metaplot going forward will focus on real life players being the main characters. Transmedia will be huge focus.
        Mmmmmm, I'm curious how they will implement it?

        * The game (and it's mechanics?) will treat humans not as blood bags but as individuals that matter.
        Just not going into Requiem's place, please! THAT game is about vampire-human relationships and touchstones and so, that's great but I prefer Masquerade for a reason. This and the above 'you're what you eat' thing gives the vibe that they want to make humans and relationships with them more important and that's great, just don't make it the sole center of the game. Again, we have Requiem for that.

        * All licensees of the franchise will get the same "bible" to help unify the world and game universe. Helps the metaplot stay relevant and consistent.
        I think it is a necessity and I'll applaude it, if they'll write good story.

        * Humans might be more aware of the prescence of supernatural entities and dangers in the world.
        Interesting.

        * There might have been a war among Vampires for the graves of the ancients
        That too. I have many questions regarding that, but now I'll wait.


        If nothing worked, then let's think!

        Comment


        • #5
          Praying to whatever gods will listen to the book isn't offensive for nothing more than shock value.


          Just call me Lex.

          Female pronouns for me, please.

          Comment


          • #6
            Yeah, I'm not buying this or supporting this. The fact that they are continuing the metaplot is an automatic deal-breaker for me. Like I said in the previous thread, I'm gonna stick to V20 and modify it to my heart's content.

            ​And to all the purists who keep telling me to play "Some Other Game", please don't. I don't want "Some Other Game", just my modified old-school WoD games done in the style of 1e and 2e. V20 fits that niche for me perfectly. Not everyone likes the metaplot.


            But for all those who do like the metaplot and are looking forward to his new edition, well I hope you have fun with it. May you have some happy gaming with it. Nothing wrong with VTM 5th Edition, but it's not for me.
            Last edited by Camilla; 09-04-2016, 04:55 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Camilla View Post
              Yeah, I'm not buying this or supporting this. The fact that they are continuing the metaplot is an automatic deal-breaker for me. Like I said in the previous thread, I'm gonna stick to V20 and modify it to my heart's content.

              ​And to all the purists who keep telling me to play "Some Other Game", please don't. I don't want "Some Other Game", just my modified old-school WoD games done in the style of 1e and 2e. V20 fits that niche for me perfectly. Not everyone likes the metaplot.


              But for all those who do like the metaplot and are looking forward to his new edition, well I hope you have fun with it. May you have some happy gaming with it. Nothing wrong with VTM 5th Edition, but it's not for me.
              Two things: 1) They have made clear from the start that the metaplot would continue, and 2) No one is forcing you to conform to it.

              There will be plenty of mechanics overhauls to enjoy (or not) regardless.
              Last edited by Blitzburger; 09-04-2016, 05:14 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Blitzburger View Post

                Two things: 1) They have made clear from the start that the metaplot would continue, and 2) No one is forcing you to conform to it.

                There will be plenty of mechanics overhauls to enjoy (or not) regardless.
                ​I know they made it clear from the start that the metaplot would continue. And I made it clear from the start that I'm not buying it or going to use said metaplot.

                Either way, I'm bowing out of this thread.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                  Praying to whatever gods will listen to the book isn't offensive for nothing more than shock value.
                  Martin ericsson promised that will not happen back in 2015

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Honestly, metaplot is my least concern, because it's optional and I like good metaplot. I'm more concerned that they'll shift the themes, tones, mechanics and focus of Vampire and the other WoD games to something I won't recognize as such. Like, DnD indeed changed a LOT, but the game's core premises,mechanical quirks (ok, mostly from 3.x e onward) and it's settings stayed more or less the same (aside from 4e and, well, we saw how that ended) . I don't mind advancing metaplot, I don't mind new, interesting and playable mechanics, I don't even mind subtle shifts in tone or themes but I would mind something alien to my favorite gamelines.

                    At least they seem to keep the green marble&rose cover and the concept drawings looks promising. These alone made me hoping for the best.

                    And I'm still crossing fingers they would decide to take M20's new millenium setting as the baseline for M5.
                    Last edited by PMárk; 09-04-2016, 05:26 PM.


                    If nothing worked, then let's think!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Camilla View Post
                      snip
                      At this point — and I say this with all due respect: We. Know.



                      Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

                      VtR: 13 Licks: The Curses of Caine in Blood and Smoke13 Licks: Tricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: Mysterious Place: The Cabin
                      Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by IgnyteZero View Post
                        Ok, so at this years Grand Masquerade and 24 Years Anniversy of V:tm, White Wolf Publishing made it official that the next V:tm rpg will is the 5th edition of the game, and will hopefully be released sometime Winter 2018.

                        What else we know so far about Vampire: the Masquerade 5th Edition, facts:

                        * Disciplines and Feeding will work by the "You are what you eat"-philosophy.
                        Lame/dumb idea. All this is going to do is turn the game into a hunt the politicians so I can learnz 2 dominatez, actors for presence, kill your victims and THEN feed for Necromancy? The more I think about this, the dumber the idea gets, especially when you couple it with humans being more than juicebags idea. You're going to have players spending a lot of time hunting specific targets for kewl powurz rather than actually roleplaying and advancing the plot.

                        Originally posted by IgnyteZero View Post
                        * Core institutions and concepts like "The Camarilla", "the Beast" and others will have have changed or shifted in meaning or operation in varying degrees.
                        * The metaplot for 5th edition will start right before the event known as Gehenna.
                        Certain clans really need to become factions. I'm looking at you Tremere, Assamites, Setites.


                        Originally posted by IgnyteZero View Post
                        * Metaplot going forward will focus on real life players being the main characters. Transmedia will be huge focus.
                        I truly hope that this does not mean that friends of the game developers are going to become canon "NPC's" in all the books. This has been done in other games, including D&D, and is not beneficial to the game at all.

                        If it means that at gaming cons, what happens in a LARP there becomes canon, I am skeptical, but will see if they can pull it off.

                        If it means that they will have a nice website with current plot threads and developments, AWESOME.

                        Originally posted by IgnyteZero View Post
                        * The game (and it's mechanics?) will treat humans not as blood bags but as individuals that matter.

                        Rumors:
                        * Humans might be more aware of the prescence of supernatural entities and dangers in the world.
                        If the game becomes True Blood, I am out.
                        Last edited by KRB; 09-04-2016, 06:22 PM. Reason: clarity/redundancy

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I don't think there is enough information about this so far to tell much and most of those ideas could be good or bad. That being said that list gives me more concern than hope for the new edition.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I am wondering if winter 2018 means the time period that starts December 2018 and rolls into 2019 or starts december 2017 and rolls into 2018 because I'd like Wraith 20 out before new editions drop...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by KRB View Post

                              Lame/dumb idea. All this is going to do is turn the game into a hunt the politicians so I can learnz 2 dominatez, actors for presence, kill your victims and THEN feed for Necromancy? The more I think about this, the dumber the idea gets, especially when you couple it with humans being more than juicebags idea. You're going to have players spending a lot of time hunting specific targets for kewl powurz rather than actually roleplaying and advancing the plot..
                              I've already posted elsewhere on this, and I'll try not to go on about it too much from this point on at the risk of being tedious, but yeah. I totally agree with you.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X