No announcement yet.

Rite of Passage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wakuwa, thanks for the multiple page references. I honestly haven't read through W20 terribly thoroughly (and it was a while ago when I did read through it) and just run game how I've always run/played it. The Rite of Passages I've ran and played in were without Gifts and I never thought anything of it.
    Again, we all play the game slightly differently; shaped by our experiences with it. And it doesn't help clarification when the books specifically contradict themselves. So, in the end, go with whatever ruling will be the most fun for your group. Easy enough.

Comment

If I remember correctly, every time I've played (with 2 different STs that don't even know each other as far as I'm aware) we learned out starting gifts before being sent on our Rite of Passage. I can totally see not being able to learn them before the Rite as well though.

Comment

So the difficulty level of the Rite of Passage would be something a normal Cliath pack could reasonably handle. Or perhaps something the rest of the Sept packs are too busy to deal with. It will depend on the sept and the storyteller.

I never considered cubs not having auspice/breed gifts. I assumed they needed to prove they could negotiate with spirits before going though their rite of passage.

Thanks for your help everyone.
        Last edited by wonderandawe; 01-10-2017, 12:33 PM.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

Originally posted by idpersona View Post
          I honestly haven't read through W20 terribly thoroughly (and it was a while ago when I did read through it) and just run game how I've always run/played it. The Rite of Passages I've ran and played in were without Gifts and I never thought anything of it.
          You and me both, only mine's more of a, "Well, my Storyteller let us when we started, and that was because her Storyteller did it that way when she was learning... Huh. I wonder what the RoP book says." It was a curious, learning moment for myself, and I figured I'd share. I've been in some great campaigns, but they've almost all been with just two groups of people. This forum is already giving me a lot of inspiration to look beyond just the way we've done things.

Comment

The revised Silent Striders tribe book from way back when detailed the specifics of their tribal rite of passage. I'm not sure if any of the others have been.

(As for Gifts, I'd always sort of assumed that when a newly changed cub is found by the Garou, part of his initial training involved learning her Breed Gift along side learning about her new forms and how to keep from going berserk from Rage, then learning her Auspice duties and it's Gift while being taught about Garou culture, the Tribes, the Triat, and such. Then the Tribe gift comes as part of her formal adaption into her new Tribe after the Rite of Passage. All this taking maybe up to a whole year from First Change to completing the Rite.)

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Here is, granted more of a houserule than anything else, another factor to rite of passage to think about;

Does the character going to the rite get multiple totems to seek to claim them, or just the one specific?

To me, given how cultural ROPs are, the idea that another totem could muscle in is kinda odd. But among some groups, it is not always clear what tribe you'll end up in.

My gallery.

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Mizuki View Post
                Here is, granted more of a houserule than anything else, another factor to rite of passage to think about;

Does the character going to the rite get multiple totems to seek to claim them, or just the one specific?

To me, given how cultural ROPs are, the idea that another totem could muscle in is kinda odd. But among some groups, it is not always clear what tribe you'll end up in.
                It depends on the individual Garou's temperament. IME, the only Totems you generally see on the Rite of Passage are the ones successfully claiming Garou, but in one game, a metis cub fled his BSD parents to go join the Garou Nation and serve Gaia. After much effort, he went on his Rite of Passage. The Totems of his Packmates defended him from Whipporwill long enough for Uktena to be able to claim him.

Comment

I always assumed the cub petitioned the totem of the tribe they wanted to join. I do like the idea of Whipporwill dropping by to fuck things up.

I may flip it around for the Rite of Passage in my game. Have the Den mother invite all the Gaia Tribal Totems to the Rite. Cubs go on their quest. Cubs hopefully come back from their quest and choose a totem. Totem judges if the cub is worthy or not.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

For the most part the Rite of Passages in our LARP game start with George, a kinfolk woodworker, calling the caern. He then tells of something strange he or his wife have heared from their relatives in the City, colleagues, friends, other kinfolk etc.
                    Basically somehting he suggests the garou shoeld investigate and usually the cubs are send to do so, with the instruction, to conduct that Investigation in a way befitting a cliath.

Comment

Working...
                    X