Black Dog Game Factory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Dog Game Factory

I don't like the way Black Dog is treated as a joke in the otherwise excellent Pentex Subsidiaries supplement. (Actually, I don't like anything in the WoD being treated as a joke, but that's just my own personal neurosis.) In my campaign, the games produced by Black Dog are basically the same (including the names) as the games White Wolf makes in the real world. The question therefore becomes, how is Black Dog getting its eerily accurate information about the World of Darkness? How do you guys use Black Dog in your games?

My name is Colleen. My favorite song is "Wildwood Flower." My ambition is to write the complete history of the White Wolf/Onyx Path universe.

Originally posted by JulianMoon View Post
    I don't like the way Black Dog is treated as a joke in the otherwise excellent Pentex Subsidiaries supplement. (Actually, I don't like anything in the WoD being treated as a joke, but that's just my own personal neurosis.) In my campaign, the games produced by Black Dog are basically the same (including the names) as the games White Wolf makes in the real world. The question therefore becomes, how is Black Dog getting its eerily accurate information about the World of Darkness? How do you guys use Black Dog in your games?

I remove the "this describes the World of Darkness to a T" aspect of the games and make them fun romps for people to play vampires, werewolves, etc without being too offensive to WoD werewolves*. I have the idea of Black Dog Game Factory being the beloved RPG of Kinfolk. Even some Garou have fond childhood memories of playing table top games in their youth. They aren't owned by Garou, but rather a small privately owned company. A few kin have freelanced for the company.

But then Pentex bought them out and now the once beloved RPG has turned into something nefarious. Hidden within the new game manuals are secret Wyrm rites for Kinfolk to use. (I want to play with the concept of Christian Tract fear of RPG players casting demonic spells). Basically, I made Black Dog into a plot point which could cause social issues (Kinfolk gamers won't take kindly to being told "NO you can't play your games", much like real life gamers.) Or give a group of Garou a plot to save/dismantle Black Dog.

*Actually, I would probably make it a dumping ground for all of my favorite Real life RPGs. So Black Dog would make Exalted, Fiasco, Pugmire, Mouse Guard, etc.
    Last edited by wonderandawe; 01-13-2017, 11:58 AM.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

That's fascinating. I may borrow some of your ideas to use in my own version of Black Dog, if you don't mind.

My name is Colleen. My favorite song is "Wildwood Flower." My ambition is to write the complete history of the White Wolf/Onyx Path universe.

Comment

That's fascinating. I may borrow some of your ideas to use in my own version of Black Dog, if you don't mind.

That's fine. Steal away.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

How do you guys use Black Dog in your games?
          TBH, my group only ever uses it in an "Easter Egg" capacity, and then it's really only name-dropped. The most recent two examples that come to mind were a Tremere's ghoul comparing some grandiose scheme he overheard as "more convoluted than Revenant's metaplot, and just as terrible" or something along those lines. Or when we were hunting down some hacker and found the guy. He was "trolling the Black Dog forums under the username Wysha, picking apart peoples' well-worded discussions and responding with pure vitriol, nonsense and pedantic immaturity".

Yes, I saw what the ST did there.

Writing up Clanbook: Aabbt

Comment

I generally use Black Dog to represent the worst of everything in tabletop gaming. Black Dog is meant to be one of the thousands of tentacles of Pentex and, while they are not that effective, they act as entry level corruption by promoting bigotry, misogyny, racism, and sexism. Pentex probably keeps track of the most fanatic of the gamers and, when they have a job opening that needs someone who is moderately corrupted in one of their subsidiaries, they recruit the most promising of the gamers. I imagine that there are quite a few gaming groups formed by the employees of Pentex subsidiaries who found that they shared a love of Black Dog and, by continuing to play Black Dog, they reinforce the environment of bigotry, misogyny, racism, and sexism that makes Pentex subsidiaries such a miserable place to work for anyone who is not a heterosexual WASP male.

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
              Pentex subsidiaries such a miserable place to work for anyone who is not a heterosexual WASP male.

Sometimes, I think I'd enjoy playing some of Black Dog's versions rather than the real thing.

And, uh, what's a WASP male?

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

White Anglo-Saxon Protestant.

Comment

I go with the idea that the authors of Black Dog are all Wyrm cultists who were suckered into roleplaying by a Wyrm tainted Nephandi (if you're familar with the old Jack Chick comics it was exactly like that). The company/group receives dream visions from the Wyrm involving certain aspects of the World of Darkness and they combine those with pop culture information about supernatural beings to write a popular role-playing game line.

While their information is sometimes pretty wrong, it can also be surprisingly accurate. Several groups (like mages and vampires) have performed investigations into Black Dog Game Factory to try and figure out how they're getting their information, but so far they haven't found anything too important. Plus, I mean, it's just a roleplaying game company - it's way under the radar for most groups.

I tend to use them more as a joke or for meta-humor in my games (I mean, that's clearly what they were designed to be to begin with) - the last time I used them the Vampire players got caught breaking the Masquerade - only to find out that the people who caught them were a bunch of LARPers playing Revenant: The Raveshing, who thought the PC's were also fellow LARPers and so the players managed to mix right in with them without a problem.

Comment

I've never used them in my games except as background noise, much like referencing O'Tolley's instead of McDonald's. As intended, they are simply the WoD equivalent of White Wolf Games except that there is real occult knowledge embedded in the games which serves as the incubation of future Wyrm cultists. I simply have them as their own group though and not part of PENTEX.

If I ever ran a personal plot where some PC's kinfolk ran off and joined a Wyrm cult, I'd mention a copy of some of the Black Dog games in being in his bedroom. But I haven't thought of anything else to do with it. Since many of the games I run are historical and not modern, I usually can't even do that.

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                    I go with the idea that the authors of Black Dog are all Wyrm cultists who were suckered into roleplaying by a Wyrm tainted Nephandi (if you're familar with the old Jack Chick comics it was exactly like that). The company/group receives dream visions from the Wyrm involving certain aspects of the World of Darkness and they combine those with pop culture information about supernatural beings to write a popular role-playing game line.
                    Saying Jack Chick was right is really the only reason to use it in chronicles in my opinion!

Comment

Working...
                    X