Throw Fomori at Me.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
    Mages should never take it for granted that they can take on other supernatural creatures. They are human and, while they can temporarily modify themselves to become superhuman, do not have any innate supernatural capabilities. They are prey, not predators, and should never assume that they are anything but prey when they deal with other supernatural creatures. They should never get into fights with other supernatural creatures without proper preparation, should always avoid unnecessary fights with other supernatural creatures whenever possible, and should never fight fair against other supernatural creatures when they have to fight.
    There are much better ways to teach your players of dangers than killing them. You could have taught by demonstration, for instance. Have an NPC get killed or become gravely injured as a result of such decisions as a warning to my players to consider alternatives. Let them walk around the carnage left behind by such a creature, building up a little fear. Have the the fight be cut short by a Deus Ex Machina, or have the danger leave them once they are incapacitated or crippled. They'll realise how way over their head they are by Lethalling them down to Mauled, then give them an escape route to regroup and think of a better solution.

Death is the most boring thing to enforce on a player as it means they cannot play anymore. If you have to punish them, at least punish them with something interesting like a curse, Wyrm taint for instance, or just let the damage they receive hamper their activity. My players try to avoid damage as much as they can because of how limiting those dice penalties become on their skills, so just two points of Lethal is enough for them to get the heck out of there.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running UPDATE Chapter 22: The Morning After

Comment

How much are STs obligated to bend over backwards to save PCs though? If I give players three chances to back away from a suicidal action, I think I have been fair enough. STs should be willing to let characters die when they jump off a cliff and should not have Deus Ex Machina ready to save them. I have had characters that I have played die in Call of Cthulu, cWoD, Deadlands, GURPS, nWoD, Pathfinder, etc and, I got to say, as long as the ST tried to warn me that I could die before I did, I did not think it was unfair.

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
        How much are STs obligated to bend over backwards to save PCs though? If I give players three chances to back away from a suicidal action, I think I have been fair enough. STs should be willing to let characters die when they jump off a cliff and should not have Deus Ex Machina ready to save them. I have had characters that I have played die in Call of Cthulu, cWoD, Deadlands, GURPS, nWoD, Pathfinder, etc and, I got to say, as long as the ST tried to warn me that I could die before I did, I did not think it was unfair.
        Well, all I can say is that I have no idea what your session was like. So perhaps it was the best thing to do considering the players.
        Personally, I put a lot of work into tailoring the story and events around the Player's characters, so killing them off prematurely is actually more work than it's worth.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running UPDATE Chapter 22: The Morning After

Comment

Working...
        X