Rokea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rokea

I stumbled on the Rokea book at a used bookstore today and picked it up on a whim. Did anyone here ever play a Rokea or use any of their material? I have next to zero cWoD experience, and none with Werewolf, so it was interesting being exposed to something in that setting.

The illustration of the scowling Hawaiian dude on a surfboard on the back cover got me excited to play, but I don't know if the content bears that out. It seems like the most accessible character type is a betweener, but the book bends over backwards to make it clear that betweeners aren't welcome among other Rokea and homids are unbelievably rare. That style of game/setting design is so alien to me. I don't understand why you would present a scenario or character type and then use your limited wordcount to seemingly discourage players from playing it.

Anyway the book was cool but whenever I see these niche cWoD splatbooks, I wonder who exactly used them at the table. Anyone on this forum?

2E Legacy Updates
    Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
    Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
    Storm Keepers

I have used them from time to time, though they tend to work better in Eastern chronicles than in Western chronicles. Rokea have massive problems with Rage, they literally frenzy at a drop of a hat, so you have to make sure that anyone who plays them is alright with losing control often. Rokea are also primarily found in the ocean and most players (and more than a few STs) have difficulty adapting to a deep sea chronicle the first time.

If you want to use Rokea in a setting, you should remember that they will likely not stray too far from the ocean and will need a good reason to come onto land. Most Rokea will be uncomfortable being further inland than a few miles and will likely have dwellings within sight of the water. If you want to introduce Rokea to a crossover chronicle, they can make an interesting addition to any chronicle in a coastal city (Boston, Los Angeles, New Orleans, New York, San Francisco, or Seattle would be all good choices). Watch out though, they are incredibly capable fighters, and will turn a neonate Sabbat pack into chum without that much effort.

Comment

I've used them before in games and even got to play one in a mixed Fera game, as well as in a LARP in NY back in the day. The Rokea book hadn't come out yet when I played the LARP character though, so we ran off of adapted rules provided in the 2nd edition players guide. Fun times.

As Aya Tari pointed out, they need to stay near water. But other than that restriction, I haven't found them terribly difficult to write into a story (well, no more than some of the other Fera). The Frenzy easier than Garou, but I didn't find it all that restrictive. There is a Brightwater Gift to help out some. If they stay out of saltwater too long they get stuck in whatever form the were in. And there is some rule about regeneration and saltwater that I'm failing to remember.

Betweeners are violently looked down upon by the rest of the race, but you can have a recurring "normal" Rokea easily enough in a game as long as you are close enough to saltwater. Rokea are as fully intelligent as any other Fera and so their goals can and do align sometimes with others.

And personally, I love the Rokea book. When it had initially come out and I opened the first page in the store to see that full color bloody comic, I was instantly sold. There's lots of good stuff in there. And even if you don't like the race, the book gives you a lot of information on what's going on in the 70% of the world that isn't above sea level. I found the sample/intro Rokea story adventure to be pretty fun and nicely fleshed out. Undersea Mind Worms were a really fun concept too.

So, speaking just for myself: I thought this book was well worth the investment.

Comment

The story in the book presented a die-hard, water-only kind of Rokea tracking down a Betweener to ask him a question about the Red Star, and that was his entire purpose in going landside (the running into a homid-born Rokea thing was kind of a weird happenstance that gave us a focus character who justifiably needs a lot explained to him). So sometimes, there can be non-violent encounters, even with the most fanatic of those who only swim in Sea.

Comment

A group I was with based a game out of Florida once. We had a Grotto in the game which had Rokea, Mokole, and a group of 3 Nagah that hung out around there. Players had characters in both the land Caern and the Grotto. Most of the stories we did we based in the Land based Caern but we would switch from time to time and do a story from the water.

The most prominent story was a Pentex subsidiary that had started drilling of the cost but their main platform was also used to dump waste from land based locations discretely. The land side followed the chemicals to the water and dealt with stopping the chemicals from going out to sea. THe water side dealt with the chemicals that went out to sea and with the platform. It gave a good variety.

Comment

We have a Same Bito in the Hengeyokai chronicle I currently play in and its kind of interesting. Of course we are a pretty diverse group of changing breeds so its kind of interesting anyways

It makes things much easier if you set the story close to saltwater of course. The court our Sentai belongs to is located next to a coastal city in Korea.

Comment

Alternately, pirates.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                Alternately, pirates.
                Can a warform Rokea say "Yarrrrr!"?

Comment

Originally posted by Hexer View Post

Can a warform Rokea say "Yarrrrr!"?

2E Legacy Updates
                  Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
                  Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
                  Storm Keepers

Comment

Ah the thing they don't talk about much in that book is the Same-bito are a whole tribe of in betweeners and they have Homid! But yeah Betweeners were made so you could join a Werewolf pack or any sort of Fera group combined group.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Working...
                    X