Ratribution :" We Got Silver Homie! "

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ratribution :" We Got Silver Homie! "

Hello everyone , Im so happy to have a place to discuss one of my loves in life.

I've been playing werewolf the apocalypse since 1995 when I was only about 12 yrs old. I found out about werewolf after seeing a deck of RAGE cards being sold in Las Vegas at the Excalibur. I was entranced by the artwork. I wish I could say my nerd career started and branched out from that moment , but the truth is I only play werewolf and could care less about all other games. I used to post damn near a little over a decade ago on the white-wolf chat rooms as well.

I wanted to share a chronicle I started with my old time child hood friends and open it up for critique and advice if that's ok. I tried talking to my wife about it but she thinks its ridiculous (which emboldens me more).

Chronicle name : Ratribution :" We Got Silver Homie! "

Characters : Death Squeek ( Rodens Knife Skulker) , Two-Tails (Metis Warrior) , and Bolthole Surfer (Rodens Tunnel Runner) , Nic Nac (Homid Engineer), Queso Freshness (Metis Twitcher)
    • Death Squeek - a quiet black oily rat that prefers to kill by crawling down a humans throat and suffocating them
    • Two-Tails- A metis "wanna-be Nezumi" with delusions that he is a master ninja under the tutelage of a high ranking Nezumi (which is a lie , he just likes kung fu exploitation films) He has two tails and refuses to use firearms , even if it means his own death. He has been tasked with raising and protecting the ratlings in the nest.
    • Bolthole Surfer- A rodens tunnel runner. He was infected with the birthing plague and left to have his brain melt away with fever , he finally collapsed onto a discarded Butthole Surfers CD to hallucinate into death , or survive the plague on top of this broken CD now sticky with his urine and vomit. He carries the CD to this day believing that it alone has the power to open boltholes for him through his travels. He prefers to kill by stabbing a pencil into humans ears.
    • Nic Nac - A homid engineer who was the janitor at a pentex subsidiary responsible for medical research. He enjoyed his late nights playing with the test rats and performing his own experiments with them using whatever discarded materials he could find. During a fit of madness a ratkin witness attacked him and infected him with the birthing plague. Nic Nac found himself a sweating gibbering mess deep in the subway system surrounded by the Chinatown subway nest. He was spared only by the interference of the Rat God through visions to Mint Stew and Bright Light .
    • Queso Freshness- A two headed Twitcher Metis who has been lost/abandoned in Pangea , the heads are side by side and constantly bicker and rip at the insides of each other faces. Belives himself to be a classic monster and enjoys stalking his victims when all the horror elements are just right in the environment for maximum effect and to spread fear through humanity. Also enjoys ripping humans in half and eating their guts like spaghetti while in crinos.
    Location: A small Nest deep in the Chinatown subway system in San Francisco. The nest is located in a small underground homeless hut put together with detritus and only accessible to Rodens Ratkin through a small rusting pipe sticking out of the roof of the homeless hut (maybe a 10 foot by 10 foot space). Inside the shitty homeless cubicle, propped against the wall is a mummified junkies corpse with his ribcage and dry guts split open. The mummified junkies lower jaw has been distended and held together with wires and safety pins amongst other junk. The lower jaw is where the new usurper Rat King named "Mint Stew" addresses her nest in rodens form, much like the pope would address his congregation. The mummified junkies hollowed out torso serves as Mint Stews "right hand mans" ritual staging area. a few bricks have been stacked inside the dry rotten junkies empty guts to serve as a form of an altar for "Bright Light" the nests premier shadow seer , a flamboyant ratkin that loves disco and rave , and subsequently has painted the insides of the homeless hut and his fur with black light paint and glowing stoner posters. A broken miniature disco ball (made for a cars rear view mirror) dangles from the inside ceiling of the dead junkies final rotten resting spot.

I hate super long posts (short attention span and what not) , so if anyone is interested to know more I'd love to explain the first session and open it up for advice and critique. If not I wont be butt hurt , I enjoy reading yalls posts at the end of the day anyway.

Thanks for letting me be a part of this community!

Good description of the Nest. I am curious, how does the Nest interact with the other Ratkin Nests in San Francisco Metropolitan Area? There should be anywhere from 9 Ratkin (if you are going with a ratio of 1:500,000) to 460 Ratkin (if you are going with a ratio of 1:10,000). In the former case, there should probably be thousands Rat Kinfolk for every Ratkin, as the local Ratkin have refrained from sharing the Birthing Plague for fear of killing off 90% of the Rat Kinfolk. In the latter case, there should be dozens of Rat Kinfolk for every Ratkin, as the Birthing Plague would have killed off most of the Rat Kinfolk.

Comment

I'll be honest I don't get caught up in all the math and whatnot , I sucked at school and usually just read WW books all day , but your input has intrigued me to really start thinking about.

Anywho- In game, and for the story's purpose , the major Ratkin/Nest players for the rat pack characters are a group of Ratkin inhabiting the abandoned PAC BELL building in San Francisco who follow the Rat mother , and a nest located on Alcatraz island led by a plague lord , they are very isolationist and nobody really knows for sure what they are up too.

As far as all the other "nests" I'll keep my players guessing. Of course they can use blood memory to recognize a fellow ratkin but even they don't know who's where all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by WISDOMINCHAINS View Post
        I hate super long posts (short attention span and what not) , so if anyone is interested to know more I'd love to explain the first session and open it up for advice and critique. If not I wont be butt hurt , I enjoy reading yalls posts at the end of the day anyway.

Thanks for letting me be a part of this community!
        Welcome!
        Speaking just for me, I always enjoy reading about people's games. If you have the time and inclination I'd be interested in reading about how your sessions go.

Adding to the thoughts about other nests: I find it helpful to not worry too much about the numbers of Ratkin in the city (assume there are plenty for whatever your game needs). That being said, it's fun to have at least 1 rival Nest set up. It adds another dynamic to the game and gives the players a rival group that they can work against that aren't also their allies. Ratkin can have rivals within their own Nest, but when it comes down to it, you generally can't go out and kill them just because they work against you. That is certainly a possibility for rival Nests.

Comment

I plan on writing up how the first session went tomorrow.

A few questions I have that I think my friends are trying to get over on me.

Rat Mothers touch- My players have been trying to convince me that you can heal yourself with it , however I don't think that's how it works

Also..

The player who roleplays Queso Freshness says that his Fetish "Ape skin" will make him appear to others to only have one head. I didn't interpret it that way. To me he wouldn't look like a ratty shitbag bestial human , but he would still register as having two heads like a "palatable" Siamese twin for your average joe walking down the street.

thoughts?

Comment

You cannot overcome Metis disfigurements that easily, especially since both of the heads talk and bite. He chose his disfigurement, so he should just learn to deal with mortals noticing him. Anyway, he is a Twitcher, he should not care want mortals think of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
              You cannot overcome Metis disfigurements that easily, especially since both of the heads talk and bite. He chose his disfigurement, so he should just learn to deal with mortals noticing him. Anyway, he is a Twitcher, he should not care want mortals think of him.
              I agree , I thought it was a bit cheesy myself

Comment

Rat Mothers touch- My players have been trying to convince me that you can heal yourself with it , however I don't think that's how it works
                You are correct. Ratmother's Touch works like Mother's Touch and Mother's Touch says: "This Gift may not heal the werewolf herself, spirits, or the undead."
                Pretty straight forward.

The player who roleplays Queso Freshness says that his Fetish "Ape skin" will make him appear to others to only have one head. I didn't interpret it that way. To me he wouldn't look like a ratty shitbag bestial human , but he would still register as having two heads like a "palatable" Siamese twin for your average joe walking down the street
                So I'm hoping you mean Monkey Puzzle (level 4 Fetish) and not Ape Skin (the level 1 Fetish). Ape Skin does nothing of the sort. Ape Skin does: "When activated, the fetish ā€” which takes the form of a scrap of ape or human skin tattooed with a glyph ā€” makes the werewolf suffer no special damage from silver in Homid form, and also renders the Garou unable to regenerate in that form ā€” just as though they were born homid."
                So going on the assumption that you meant Monkey Puzzle instead, it would work how the player envisions it, since the Puzzle specifically says :"When activated, it causes all humans viewing the werewolf to believe her to be a normal humanā€¦ regardless of the form she wears."

The "normal human" part is the important one for this discussion. But yea, it you did mean the level 1 Fetish, then you may want to talk to the player and see if they want to invest in the level 4 one instead since it's closer to the effect the player was going for. It does nothing to protect from any sort of supernatural creature viewing you, but it's pretty perfect for going out in public in general.

Comment

But conjoined twins are normal humans by WtA standards.

Comment

So I can only speak for how I would run it. While conjoined twins are something that happen, what percentage of humans have that condition? I think the level 4 Fetish would cover that up and make the person appear "normal". In this case, "normal" meaning typical human. I can certainly see the argument against, but for a level 4 Fetish that can hide a Crinos form strolling around, I see no reason for it to not hide a deformity.

2 follow up things. Again, this assumes the Fetish we're talking about is the Monkey Puzzle and not the Ape Skin Fetish.
                    The Monkey Puzzle only works on humans. It shouldn't work on Supernaturals, and so relying on it for public outings all the time is inviting other supernaturals to take notice. That is ripe for story threads.

Comment

Debatable.

There are not too many rules for the Monkey Puzzle, but the purpose of the fetish is to blend in. Being a two-headed dude or gal is not gonna help you do that. In any case, I don't think the fetish works by corresponding to a user's specific individual body parts- rather, it probably just provides a holistic illusion of a typical human.

If your fera was scarred and missing a limb, I doubt that would be reflected in the illusion provided by the Puzzle.

EDIT: Once again, beaten to the punch by Idpersona... I need to work on my words per minute or something. :P

Comment

But the character gains too many advantages with two functional heads to not be penalized in some fashion just to balance him with the other characters. First, he could potentially survive beheading, which means that two decapitation attacks have to occur to have a confirmed kill (since he is Metis, he will never not have awesome soak and regeneration, so he could potentially regenerate the beheaded head as long as the other one survives). Second, he has two sets of sensory organs, which means sensory attacks need two confirmed successful attacks to cripple him. Third, he gets two sets of jaws, which means two aggravated bite attacks. I could probably think of more, but those three traits make it a very powerful mutation that should have equally powerful limitations (metis mutations should suck, not make you an even cooler superhuman).

Comment

Guardians of the Caerns Pg. 101 "Conjoined Twin Syndrome: When your parents mated the fertilized egg split, albeit imperfectly. Instead of having two identical metis twins, your mother bore you with a remnant of your twin still embedded in part of your body. Its pretty clear to any onlookers that you have parts of a metis fetus stuck into your flesh. While this causes you no physical difficulty, its a real problem on social situations. Add +2 diff on all social rolls that involve appearance and charisma"

So there is precedence for this, just as long as it doesn't grant a 2nd bite attack against opponents or survive decapitation (hell go for broke and say it can't shift and is always crinos...maybe an atrophied one but still).

Btw, just want to say the intro (started in '95 due to a pack of Rage cards, and posting on the old white wolf chat sites....was totally the same way...'95, age 12, ect. )

Comment

But the character gains too many advantages with two functional heads to not be penalized in some fashion just to balance him with the other characters. First, he could potentially survive beheading, which means that two decapitation attacks have to occur to have a confirmed kill (since he is Metis, he will never not have awesome soak and regeneration, so he could potentially regenerate the beheaded head as long as the other one survives). Second, he has two sets of sensory organs, which means sensory attacks need two confirmed successful attacks to cripple him. Third, he gets two sets of jaws, which means two aggravated bite attacks. I could probably think of more, but those three traits make it a very powerful mutation that should have equally powerful limitations (metis mutations should suck, not make you an even cooler superhuman).
                            So we don't know the actual systems the OP is applying to having a second head. I would not make the assumptions you have. And having a second bite attack might mean absolutely nothing, if the character is still limited by action economy. If the character is treated as a singular entity for the purposes of attacks and perception checks, then the second head really doesn't provide any tangible benefits. It's just kind of hideous and annoying. Which is perfectly in line for the Monstrous Flaw, which is an acceptable Metis disfigurement.

So really, I think it depends on how the ST goes about it. There are tons of ways to do so that don't amount to being "cooler superhuman".

And none of this has to do with how a level 4 Fetish works. If the ST approves a Fetish that will allow a Metis to situationally overcome their deformity then he/she already knows what they're getting into. And the Monkey Puzzle (again) only works on humans. The Metis character's deformity is still 100% visible to supernaturals. You are acting like the Fetish completely invalidates the Metis' deformity.

As an alternate example: a Metis Uktena who is paraplegic can still learn Spirit of the Bird/Fish to fly or swim. There shouldn't be anything wrong with that. It does overcome the deformity's shortcoming in certain situations. That doesn't mean said Metis should be barred from learning those Gifts.

Comment

Well, that is a good point. Would the Fetish work against Fomori, Kinain, Kinfolk, Psychics, Sorcerers, etc? How human do you have to be to be human enough?

Comment

Working...
                              X