Metis Point of View

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post

Chirps at Birds isn't dumb and he can take care of himself fine. He defends his Caern from the Wyrm just like the rest of the Sept. Living outside of Human society is a boom for Chirp, though Alex, the other metis, is horribly embarrassed by Chirp. Chirp went though is first change about four years ago yet hasn't been interested in the rite of passage.

One of the major aspects of W:tA I like over W:tF is the different point of view Lupus and Metis characters provide. As a writer, I always want to explore view points that are different from my own.

I've been rereading Far From the Tree, which has a section on both Deaf and Autism. Do you have any other books/resources you can suggest?
    It isn't as much interest for metis as being allowed to live at all, the rite of Passage that is. Nicer tribes aren't like that, but others will demand it. Just a note.

That is the same reason why I love playing them, they are a different take on the world that games rarely allow ^^

Honestly, with autism, go for things like parental guides. NEVER use anything from Autism Speaks.

Here is a good article on Asperger: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...pergerSyndrome

My gallery.

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Mizuki View Post
      and
      Originally posted by Ana Mizuki View Post

It isn't as much interest for metis as being allowed to live at all, the rite of Passage that is. Nicer tribes aren't like that, but others will demand it. Just a note.

I do not understand where you are getting this 'often Metis are just killed outright by spiteful elders' thing. The 'witch child' links are extremely terrible, but I do not see these as emblematic of the challenges faced by the Metis. The motivation for the treatment of Mingi and Metis are both pragmatic, but the similarities in driving logic are also shaped by circumstances which are totally different. The Mingi status is basically there to justify killing messed up kids so their desperately poor parents do not have to expend resources on them. The Metis status exists because of the sin their parents committed, and while the Metis are messed up, these shame component is not a death sentence. In fact, almost the exact opposite is true: the resource the Garou Nation is lacking is numbers, so even the hated Metis typically get a chance to fight for Gaia before they die. While Metis are shamed, other Garou are not de facto out to kill them.

I have never seen systemic homicidal treatment of Metis among any modern tribe in the books, and usually even the more savage or hardline tribes have ways of dealing with Metis within their ranks (and none of them are just death via first change ritual). Silver Fangs hide them, Red Talons are perplexed by them, and the Get might actually let the poor bastard get to do something great, if they are able to endure a lifetime of hardship... but none of them just hit the let the infant Metis wander off in the woods to die. Not saying that sort of thing never happens, but I have never seen anything in the books that makes me think that Metis infanticide is the anything close to the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by The Laughing Stranger View Post

and

I do not understand where you are getting this 'often Metis are just killed outright by spiteful elders' thing. The 'witch child' links are extremely terrible, but I do not see these as emblematic of the challenges faced by the Metis. The motivation for the treatment of Mingi and Metis are both pragmatic, but the similarities in driving logic are also shaped by circumstances which are totally different. The Mingi status is basically there to justify killing messed up kids so their desperately poor parents do not have to expend resources on them. The Metis status exists because of the sin their parents committed, and while the Metis are messed up, these shame component is not a death sentence. In fact, almost the exact opposite is true: the resource the Garou Nation is lacking is numbers, so even the hated Metis typically get a chance to fight for Gaia before they die. While Metis are shamed, other Garou are not de facto out to kill them.

I have never seen systemic homicidal treatment of Metis among any modern tribe in the books, and usually even the more savage or hardline tribes have ways of dealing with Metis within their ranks (and none of them are just death via first change ritual). Silver Fangs hide them, Red Talons are perplexed by them, and the Get might actually let the poor bastard get to do something great, if they are able to endure a lifetime of hardship... but none of them just hit the let the infant Metis wander off in the woods to die. Not saying that sort of thing never happens, but I have never seen anything in the books that makes me think that Metis infanticide is the anything close to the norm.
        First of all, I did not intend to make light on the irl horror the witch children face. I just used the links to give people some food for thought.

For the treatment metis face, I have to admit I can't pinpoint an exact reason why I see it so. I am guessing, like with a lot of things WtA, that my view has come from the groups I have played with combined with some book texts.

Though, it isn't as much spiteful Elders as it is them using Do not Suffer Thy Sickness on a metis to make sure they aren't dead weight to the Sept. As for infancide, if you look at the strength flavour text in the revised core, it has two garou kill a mother and her metis cub so they won't be discovered. As well, Guardians of the Caerns has art of the mother of a metis having to kill her child. The Litany descriptions of harsher tribes (especially Wendigo) hint that if a metis isn't useful, they are dead meat. Silent Strider revised also mentions that some mothers simply kill their metis cubs. So this all basically formed this idea in my head that in general, most metis survive well. But if they are too deformed, or their birth is a secret, their death is not a big deal.

My gallery.

Comment

Working...
        X