Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random mundane encounters (Urban/Rural)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Random mundane encounters (Urban/Rural)

    What random encounters do you have to break up a linear Werewolf/Fera story?

    What random encounters do you have or have you used to present an opportunity for humor, sadness , violence etc....? How did they actually play out?

    How can you make humans or a human (regular cookie cutter humans) dangerous for Garou?

  • #2
    I never really use random encounters myself because I have hundreds of ready NPCs created over the last couple dozen years of gaming (though I occasionally have to convert them from another system to cWoD). The waitresses in the restaurant, the drivers in the road, the police on the beat, etc are all characters that can become enemies or allies of the Fera.

    In order to make humans dangerous, I usually make them into Possessed or Sorcerers. The waitresses might belong to a secret coven of witches that maintain mundane identities in order to belay suspicion or belong to a support group of Fomori that seek to avoid descending further into the clutches of the Wyrm.

    One of my favorite 'grey' allies/enemies that I use in my games are a group of female fomori sorcerers with high Autonomy that seek to free themselves from the clutches of the Wyrm. They alternate between betraying and helping my players as both groups attack the Wyrm. In fact, some of them have been lovers to the PCs, hiding their corruption with their powers, and secretly feeding information to their group. A few of them are so perfect with their portrayal of normal humans that they have married my PCs and become mothers to Garou.

    Comment


    • #3
      I would not make your player's NPC mates betray them. That just makes it difficult to trust anyone in the world played by the GM. Why bother roleplaying a complex relationship with fleshed out characters when it can get upended instantly in favor of a cheap 'gotcha' moment? So many better ways to inflict in-game paranoia on players, without resorting to a 'I control your wife and it turns out she has been working with the enemy the whole tiem lol.'
      Originally posted by WISDOMINCHAINS View Post

      How can you make humans or a human (regular cookie cutter humans) dangerous for Garou?
      In a 'damage your health levels' kind of way? You really don't. Humans are dangerous because if you turn them into greasy smears, there is often fallout. People ask questions, cops/Federals get called, and your real enemies might notice.

      Case in point, I had a bunch of buffalo hunters shooting up the prairie, threatening the local Indian tribes who depended on the animals for food, and generally being a deleterious nuisance. My players went and killed them, messily. Body parts all over the place. That is fine and good short term... long term, not so much. When word got back to 'civilization,' the blame for all the carnage and death fell on the 'savages.' The rangers got called in to deal with the native tribes when the Garou were away, and it was a slaughter.

      Garou are great at the close-range, tear 'em to shreds stuff, but they are not quite as good at managing the big picture. Don't constantly outmaneuver your players so that it is frustrating and futile, but make it clear that their burning rage might have far-reaching and unforseen consequences.
      Last edited by The Laughing Stranger; 02-03-2017, 04:13 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Rural:

        When my Ratkin characters spend too much time in Rodens form in rural areas sitting around bullshitting and arguing about their next move endlessly, I throw an Owl or a Snake at them randomly.

        Urban:

        Gas/Glue/Paint sniffing derelicts aggressively begging

        A dazed prostitute who has wet herself and is looking to score

        Child thieves

        wandering person with a gangrenous leg ( no wyrm funny stuff , just a person without insurance and access to medical care)

        Salty Drunk EMT

        Drive By or Car Crashes

        Rowdy Kids on a schoolbus taunting the driver behind them

        Yuppyscum berating public servants over a ticket etc..

        Know it all hipsters at coffee shops / Bars engaging characters in endless mundane circular arguments

        Skinheads pumping up a youngster to go fuck with regular people as initiation while they watch from behind laughing

        Crusty punks begging and vandalizing property

        The lost foreign tourist

        Overwhelmed single mother asking for help

        Teenagers filming a fight on their phones

        Military men/women on a 3 day weekend ready to raise hell

        someone who drops randomly, convulsing from a stroke / heart attack / Diabetic shock or what have you...

        Pimps/drug dealers/ gangsters/beggars ( no shit , but I feel like someone might say how could you leave this out)

        City Services being lazy, for example Garbage Trucks spilling trash haphazardly

        school field trip

        Comment


        • #5
          Religious/spiritual person preaching doom

          helicopter news crew

          Exhausted IMPATIENT Detective/ COP/ TAXI DRIVER/ UBER DRIVER/ Emergency Room surgeon

          TACO TRUCK!

          college student protest

          wandering child/toddler in an neighborhood with no parent in sight

          stray dogs /pitbulls

          blind streetside musician

          bug eyed - tight assed pedestrian in a desperate search for a toilet

          people pissing and shitting on the streets

          ski mask /gloves / brass knuckles / knives / rusty screw drivers etc... next to dumpsters or trash cans

          Store / bank robbery

          house burglary

          maids waiting at the bus stop on Friday afternoon

          youngsters rap battling

          ATM mugging

          Crazy/Old/ Vision Impaired "witness" with thick glasses talking to authorities and accusing a character of a crime for no reason

          Bicycle messengers wrestling over a package

          Skateboarders asking you to buy them booze and smokes
          Last edited by WISDOMINCHAINS; 02-03-2017, 04:29 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by WISDOMINCHAINS View Post

            Know it all hipsters at coffee shops / Bars engaging characters in endless mundane circular arguments
            Yikes. Have you no sense of mercy? Your other ideas were fine, but this is way over the top.

            Comment


            • #7
              Theres a reason Red Talons and Ratkin are my favorites

              Comment


              • #8
                Urban / Rural

                Gang of bad attitude Raccoons in a dumpster

                Little bird has fallen from its nest and is slowly twitching to cling to life

                Old wise man feeding pigeons

                Urban

                Diapers thrown in the street

                Bitter doorman with heart of gold

                underpaid secretary just trying to get some fucking lunch

                nervous Intern juggling too many coffee's
                Last edited by WISDOMINCHAINS; 02-03-2017, 04:38 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by WISDOMINCHAINS View Post
                  ...stuff...
                  Those are really fun lists.

                  For Rural/Wilderness stuff:
                  Random people on Quads/dirt bikes driving/riding through. Accidents/injuries optional.
                  Campers
                  Falling Trees
                  Random lost kids
                  Hunters/poachers
                  Pot farmers



                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by idpersona View Post
                    Those are really fun lists.

                    For Rural/Wilderness stuff:

                    Pot farmers
                    haha funny thing (actually not so funny) I just found out recently from a buddy who works in the northwest. Apparently he says up north in cali that random weirdo criminals looking to score will roll on up to these farms and shoot into the air......if they don't hear a shot ringing back up into the air from the farm , then they know its time to raid.

                    Now I need to come up with a one shot story for a Child of Gaia Patriarch/Matriarch and his/her kinfolk running one of these farms just so I can throw this encounter at them

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by WISDOMINCHAINS View Post

                      haha funny thing (actually not so funny) I just found out recently from a buddy who works in the northwest. Apparently he says up north in cali that random weirdo criminals looking to score will roll on up to these farms and shoot into the air......if they don't hear a shot ringing back up into the air from the farm , then they know its time to raid.

                      Now I need to come up with a one shot story for a Child of Gaia Patriarch/Matriarch and his/her kinfolk running one of these farms just so I can throw this encounter at them
                      Yea, most pot farms out here (I'm in the NW now, grew up in NYC) have round the clock armed guards. They're generally just normal people with weapons (no real training), but that's deterrent enough.


                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Well, the legal growers need guards to keep drug dealers from stealing the stuff. I think it would make a great plot for a group of Children of Gaia Human Kinfolk to be growing medicinal MJ to fund their Garou Kin. They might even have a pack of Wolf Kinfolk on the property to keep down pests that would eat the plants and to chase off trespassers.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          In one of my earlier games I had the group wind up stopping a serial killer, and they just realized he was a mundane non supernatural, evil broken human.

                          But neighbors and coworkers are always fun go to's for encounters. As well as ghosts of people the group killed. Oh and nosy kids! Toss them in and all of a sudden the pack has to decide how cutthroat they really are in handling mortal bystanders.


                          It is a time for great deeds!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                            In one of my earlier games I had the group wind up stopping a serial killer, and they just realized he was a mundane non supernatural, evil broken human.

                            But neighbors and coworkers are always fun go to's for encounters. As well as ghosts of people the group killed. Oh and nosy kids! Toss them in and all of a sudden the pack has to decide how cutthroat they really are in handling mortal bystanders.
                            I like giving large doses of mundane in my Garou games.

                            In an old Alaskan based game I had a player that made a large metis silverfang with a hunchback. They had a base of operations around a cabin/bar that was run by a kinfolk who was also raising her 3-5 yr old autistic son. One game the metis SF attacked a moose that had wandered into the alley outside the bar, dripping worms, and followed by a cloud of insects.

                            The autistic kid looks out his apartment bedroom window (atop the bar) and watches the SilverFang / Moose fomor battle in the alleyway and screams, " MOMMY A POLAR BEAR!". The kid becomes infatuated with the "polar bear". From there on out the autistic child ran up to the SF character no matter what form he was in hugging him and calling him Mr. Polar bear.

                            Fast forward to the next game and the pack goes out to investigate a hunting lodge nearby (since the moose was tagged). Once they get out there they realize the autistic kid had climbed into the back of their truck to tag along with Mr. Polar bEAR. Fast forward past the attack on the lodge and the pack finds a 3-5 year old metis cub caged in the basement of the hunting lodge. Fast forward to the end of the session and the metis cub attacks/plays to rough with the autistic kid and kill shim............. because the pack was busy arguing about what to do next and who would be responsible for who.........they stopped paying attention to the children.....Garou make bad babysitters.....the cowardly shits never returned to the kinfolks bar too ashamed to face her.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by WISDOMINCHAINS View Post

                              I like giving large doses of mundane in my Garou games.

                              In an old Alaskan based game I had a player that made a large metis silverfang with a hunchback. They had a base of operations around a cabin/bar that was run by a kinfolk who was also raising her 3-5 yr old autistic son. One game the metis SF attacked a moose that had wandered into the alley outside the bar, dripping worms, and followed by a cloud of insects.

                              The autistic kid looks out his apartment bedroom window (atop the bar) and watches the SilverFang / Moose fomor battle in the alleyway and screams, " MOMMY A POLAR BEAR!". The kid becomes infatuated with the "polar bear". From there on out the autistic child ran up to the SF character no matter what form he was in hugging him and calling him Mr. Polar bear.

                              Fast forward to the next game and the pack goes out to investigate a hunting lodge nearby (since the moose was tagged). Once they get out there they realize the autistic kid had climbed into the back of their truck to tag along with Mr. Polar bEAR. Fast forward past the attack on the lodge and the pack finds a 3-5 year old metis cub caged in the basement of the hunting lodge. Fast forward to the end of the session and the metis cub attacks/plays to rough with the autistic kid and kill shim............. because the pack was busy arguing about what to do next and who would be responsible for who.........they stopped paying attention to the children.....Garou make bad babysitters.....the cowardly shits never returned to the kinfolks bar too ashamed to face her.
                              That's actually really sad. Poor make believe kid.


                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X