Mixed Kinfolk Groups

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed Kinfolk Groups

While it is unlikely for different type of Fera Kinfolk (or even different Tribes of Garou Kinfolk) living together, Animal Kinfolk and Human Kinfolk should probably be willing, and even eager, to live together for mutual defense. In the case of Garou Kinfolk, the Human Kinfolk could claim that the Wolf Kinfolk are Wolfdogs like the Saarloos Wolfdog. The Wolf Kinfolk would hunt and patrol the local wilderness but, because they are Animal Kinfolk rather than Animals, they could enjoy some of the comforts of civilized life without being domesticated by their Human Kinfolk.

One of the oddities about Animal Kinfolk and Human Kinfolk though is that they can be closely related. Since the breed of a Garou is dependent on the breed of the mother, female Garou could get impregnated by Animal Kinfolk and Human Kinfolk and male Garou could impregnate Animal Kinfolk and Human Kinfolk. Animal Kinfolk and Human Kinfolk can be half-siblings or cousins without that any difficulties, and I imagine that half-siblings and cousins could be fairly close despite the difference in species.

Of course, the communities would have to be fairly isolated to allow the Wolf Kinfolk enough habitat to roam without being shot at by Human hunters and would have a large enough forest so support the wolves (around one square mile per wolf). The forest could be used for sustained logging (around one cord per acre per year) and could provide 640 cords per square mile per year (320 cords for firewood and 320 cords for lumber). The forested area would serve as a buffer between the outside world and the local Caern, with the Human Kinfolk and the Wolf Kinfolk keeping any unrelated humans from the Caern. How would you deal with such a mixed settlement?

In my upcoming quest, the human kinfolk and the wolf kinfolk have a tense relationship. When they have cubs to feed, the Wolf Kinfolk will often trespass on the Human kinfolk's ranches and kill cattle. The Human Kin bitch about it to the local Glasswalker pack who lives in town. They don't have time to deal with it, so most likely it will be a plot point for the Players to deal with.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

Got to be weird with the Mokole Gatorfarm idea...

But what about Hengeyokai courts? They could have large communities drawing from the kinfolk of multiple shifters both animal and human. Must be weird when bloodlines mix and humanwolf kin start popping out kids that become dragons.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
        Got to be weird with the Mokole Gatorfarm idea...

But what about Hengeyokai courts? They could have large communities drawing from the kinfolk of multiple shifters both animal and human. Must be weird when bloodlines mix and humanwolf kin start popping out kids that become dragons.
        I don't know if that's weird. That might be part of why they have closer communities.

That being said, I'm pretty sure they try and keep their families separate. There would still be a lot more crossover than in most other parts of the world though.

Comment

Well, it is possible, and I imagine that a number of Kinfolk would seek to become Sorcerers in the Beast Courts (just to improve their utility to their Kin). It would be interesting to have a Hakken and a Mokole who were fraternal twin siblings. In that case though, I would cap total Pure Blood at 5, so a Hakken might have Hakken Pure Blood 4 and Mokole Kin Pure Blood 1 (as well as a 1 point Mokole Kin Merit). The Mokole would have the opposite traits and family gatherings would be very odd. The twins would probably be considered fortuitous as well, so they would get into a lot of trouble.

Comment

Well if you had Mokole and Hakken as brothers, I would say neither of them would have any Pure Breeding if they share both parents. You loose purebreed for your kid if you don't knock up another with shared pure breed. That is why its confusing with Silverfangs, presumably they need to start up low pure breed kids when marrying new humans of a region to make them potential kinfolk in new generations.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
              Well if you had Mokole and Hakken as brothers, I would say neither of them would have any Pure Breeding if they share both parents. You loose purebreed for your kid if you don't knock up another with shared pure breed. That is why its confusing with Silverfangs, presumably they need to start up low pure breed kids when marrying new humans of a region to make them potential kinfolk in new generations.
              Pure Breed always made little sense to me. I've tried to head canon my way into Pure Breed Making Sense.

I always assumed Pure Breed was related to having Awesome Ancestors of Great Renown. It's rare because most Garou die before Rank 3. So if your father was a great hero, your pure breed ranking (which is a metagame thing) would be higher than what he had at his own rite of passage. Though, if you don't follow in your father's footsteps and join his same tribe, you desecrated his memory.
              Last edited by wonderandawe; 02-07-2017, 02:00 PM.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

Where is it explicitly stated in the W20 books that you cannot have Pure Breed when intermixing?

Comment

In Revised you lose pure breed when you change tribes, and you lose pure breed for your children if the other parent isn't of your tribes kin.

I mean mixing with other shifters is kind of antithetical to the notion of purebreed.

Comment

Yes, but that is Revised. We are talking about W20.

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
                      Yes, but that is Revised. We are talking about W20.
                      How pure bred can you be is half of your parentage is not even your "species"?

Personally, I'd let a mixed character keep some Pure Breed in a situation like this, but it would take a large (2-3 points, maybe more) hit.
                      So if you had a Pure Breed 5 Fianna (female) sleep with a Celican, the kid should be Pure Breed 2-3 at most. And they probably wouldn't carry over any Pure Breed from the Changer side that they didn't manifest. Again, maybe just a single point in extreme circumstances.

Comment

Working...
                      X