Tests of Toughness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tests of Toughness

When you portray Garou in your games do you ever spend time exploring their social interactions with them always trying to one up each other without always resorting to a "Duel" or "gamecraft"?

I know in the BG tribebook they talk about "subway surfing or subway riding" I loved that! I think in the Wendigo book they talk about exposing themselves to the elements for an extended period of time.

Cliath are usually in their early teens to early twenties, which is prime time for "dick measuring " amongst humans, so I imagine Garou would be even more intense.

Im trying to build up a list to incorporate into one of my games. I remember reading about young sabbat packs having games and tests of loyalty/strength , games of pain tolerance etc...I wanted to know if there was one for Garou already printed , and if not then to see what we could come up with here.

Heres two ideas I had to illustrate what Im talking about. I had Get of Fenris in mind (for a GoF game Ive got goin) . I know most tribes wouldn't do it , and am curious if people can come up with other stuff in the same vein to show what other tribes would do.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

PISTOL TAG- a traditional game of tag but with pistols with regular ammo. Or a sadistic game where two Garou sit across from each other and trade shots until one gives up , or loses his shit. I think this would serve as good training too.....to know what its like to be shot. Like the military does with spraying recruits with CS gas. Gotta get it done so you don't panic when it happens.

KNIFE BELLY- Line up the pups and insert a silver knife into their belly then start the clock, see who can take the most pain
    Last edited by WISDOMINCHAINS; 02-06-2017, 02:01 PM.

Originally posted by WISDOMINCHAINS View Post
    When you portray Garou in your games do you ever spend time exploring their social interactions with them always trying to one up each other without always resorting to a "Duel" or "gamecraft"?

I know in the BG tribebook they talk about "subway surfing or subway riding" I loved that! I think in the Wendigo book they talk about exposing themselves to the elements for an extended period of time.

Cliath are usually in their early teens to early twenties, which is prime time for "dick measuring " amongst humans, so I imagine Garou would be even more intense.

Im trying to build up a list to incorporate into one of my games. I remember reading about young sabbat packs having games and tests of loyalty/strength , games of pain tolerance etc...I wanted to know if there was one for Garou already printed , and if not then to see what we could come up with here.
    So I don't know about what's in the books for this sort of thing, but from experience I've played in packs that have done several things along these lines. After all, like you pointed out, the age that the First Change generally takes hold is prime for this sort of thing. I will compile a list in a bit when I get free time.
    Heres two ideas I had to illustrate what Im talking about. I had Get of Fenris in mind (for a GoF game Ive got goin) . I know most tribes wouldn't do it , and am curious if people can come up with other stuff in the same vein to show what other tribes would do.

PISTOL TAG- a traditional game of tag but with pistols with regular ammo. Or a sadistic game where two Garou sit across from each other and trade shots until one gives up , or loses his shit. I think this would serve as good training too.....to know what its like to be shot. Like the military does with spraying recruits with CS gas. Gotta get it done so you don't panic when it happens.

KNIFE BELLY- Line up the pups and insert a silver knife into their belly then start the clock, see who can take the most pain
    The first one I can see. Well a variation on it. My packs have done it.

The second example is a huge no no though. Once you involve silver you are talking about possibly taking a permanent scar and that isn't the sort of thing risked for a "game". If a gut would heals wrong the Garou could be screwed for life. So while I could maybe see a cub giving this a try, by the time the Gaoru reach Cliath (1st Rank) they know better than to play around with something like this. To me, this would sort of be equivalent to soldiers in Basic shooting at each other for fun. Sure, you might have an extreme (and probably unique) example of a couple of idiots doing it. But that in no way reflects was the other 99.9% would be doing.

Comment

That has to be the stupidest thing I have ever read...which mean Teenage Boys with a supernatural healing factor would be all over it.

Damn it. I may have to use that in my game.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

A good alternative to the silver knife would be to see how long a Garou can sit on a silver coin before jumping out of the seat.

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
          A good alternative to the silver knife would be to see how long a Garou can sit on a silver coin before jumping out of the seat.
          This I can see. Contact with Silver would still run the risk on Frenzy so there is that to consider. But this is a much better approach than actually hurting each other with silver.

The gun tag thing (again) is an amusing idea. I've been in cub/Cliath packs that have shot each other to see just how the Regeneration thing works.

Jumping off of high ledges and cliffs was a common thing in a couple of games for new changers. It's good to get an idea of just how much impact your new improved body (post-Change) can take. And it can be important to know later on. Falling damage maxes out at 10 levels of lethal (barring unusual circumstances), so Garou can generally survive a hell of a fall/jump if they need to. I've seen more than 1 character leap from a skyscraper to get away from something.

Long running contests can be fun. Also good to know just how many hours you can run for if pressed.

Fights between pack members armed with bats can go pretty far with no hard feelings.

To test courage, having 2 pack members play chicken on the highway (with the oncoming cars) can get ugly fast. But again, Garou heal so they'll be fine.

Comment

So, bullets. Do they pop out as the Garou heals?

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
              So, bullets. Do they pop out as the Garou heals?
              That's how I picture it. Otherwise they would remain lodged in there and not really be healed.

Comment

I got some too.

Pain tolerance. The garou is in a regenerating form and sitting, and their packmates start wounding them with regular knives. The point is to last the constant wounding and healing without frenzying. In some Fenrir circles, getting a piece of skin flayed without frenzying is a mark of honour.

Jumpy werewolf. A Glass Walker favourite during Halloween. The cub or cliath is taken to a tour in various haunted houses by a group of fostern. The less snarling done when scared, the better.

My gallery.

Comment

hmmm on a somewhat related note I remember my first Werewolf game were I played a Silent Strider Ragabash. When I got into the pack the others (characters who had been played for quite a while already) tested my scouting/stealth skills by having me sneak about in the jungle (it was a chronicle based on rage across the amazon) in front of them and shooting at me if they were able to detect me. Not EXACTLY the kind of thing you seem to be looking for but similar enough I guess.

Comment

What about swallowing a silver bullet with a pint of brew and a shot of whiskey? (toungue in cheek)

Comment

What about swallowing a silver bullet with a pint of brew and a shot of whiskey? (toungue in cheek)

That sounds like the Garou equivalent of sticking your tongue to a frozen telephone poll. You'll only watch someone do it once.

(I assume it's not going to kill the Garou, just make them wish they were dead.)

Comment

I wonder if it would be like giving birth to a small smelly silver child....and by birth I mean a shit birth

Comment

I wonder if it would be like giving birth to a small smelly silver child....and by birth I mean a shit birth

Like passing a shitty kidney stone?

Comment

" Hey cub, you got the stones to roll with the big boys....we get into some heinous situations I got aknow you can take pain and not lose your shit..... now come have a drink.........lets see if you got what it takes (pulls out a silver round and slams it down next to the whiskey shot)

Comment

Wait, aren't non-metis Garou immune to silver in their breed form?

Comment

Working...
                              X