Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caern Levels and Garou Population

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Caern Levels and Garou Population

    I'm going to start my Werewolf Quest next week, but I have a few questions about Caern levels.

    The Caern my quest is a Level 2 Caern devoted to Opossum. The Caern is located in Texas Hill Country. It was higher, but shit happens and it's level 2 now. The Caern was built by the Uktena, but it is now a Get of Fenrir Caern. The Sept is supported by a small town of Kinfolk of about two thousand - only about half are kin. The majority of the kin only know "you have werewolf relatives and your kids may become werewolves too." The Sept also supports a small pack of Wolf Kin (who have developed a taste for cattle).

    How many Garou would be at a Level 2 Caern? I have about 6 or 7 werewolves right now, organized in two packs. There were more Garou, but the Sept experienced some losses over the past couple of years. The Sept is about to get an influx of four or five cubs.



    Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

    The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

  • #2
    What made you place it in the Texas Hill Country? And why Opossum?
    just curious I happen to be in the Texas Hill Country and might be able to help you flesh out details if ya wanted.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by WISDOMINCHAINS View Post
      What made you place it in the Texas Hill Country? And why Opossum?
      just curious I happen to be in the Texas Hill Country and might be able to help you flesh out details if ya wanted.

      I live not far from Texas Hill Country.

      I choose Oposum because I looked up the animals in the Area and it was the one I liked the best. This Caern has been under Siege off and on since the Europeans came to the Pure Lands. Opossum is a survivor. The Caern may be diminished, but it is still there.

      The Get inherited the Caern, so the Totem doesn't really fit the Garou of the Sept. But it's what they are stuck with.

      I'm using this quest as an excuse to improve my writing. Basically I suck at Descriptions and Fight scenes. Thus a Werewolf quest set in my back yard. :P

      The Caern is Enchanted Rock, though I'll be using an Alternate name I found "Crying Rock". In the WoD, the area around the Caern is a private Wildlife preserve instead of a State Park.


      Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

      The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

      Comment


      • #4
        Theres a shitload of Possums at Enchanted Rock (shivers). Fredericksburg is super cool though , I like their Naval WW2 museum.

        I don't know if youve ever been , but the oldest inhabited area in North America is Aquarena Springs in San Marcos Texas....they recently had a bunch of blind slamanders which were stolen, the authorities are offering $20,000 to get them back. They are extinct in the wild and only live in Aquarena Springs I think.

        http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and...g-from-center/
        Last edited by WISDOMINCHAINS; 02-06-2017, 02:16 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by WISDOMINCHAINS View Post
          Theres a shitload of Possums at Enchanted Rock (shivers). Fredericksburg is super cool though , I like their Naval WW2 museum.

          I don't know if youve ever been , but the oldest inhabited area in North America is Aquarena Springs in San Marcos Texas....they recently had a bunch of blind slamanders which were stolen, the authorities are offering $20,000 to get them back. They are extinct in the wild and only live in Aquarena Springs I think.

          http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and...g-from-center/

          I have not been to Fredericksburg yet. I am hoping to get out there this month.

          I made a fictional small town near the Caern to set the game in. Visiting Fedricksburg and Llano is considered "driving to town". Visiting Austin is "Driving to the city."

          I'll have to check out Aquarena Springs. Thanks for the tip.


          Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

          The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

          Comment


          • #6
            I scuba dived in aquarena springs , its fed from underground and is protected. They've found species they thought had gone extinct there , as well as artifacts from ancient tribal peoples.

            They continue to find stuff out there. At one point it was a theme park (50's and 60's I think) with swimming pigs and mermaids (not real of course) , it was only within the last few years absorbed by Texas State University and turned into an education and research center.

            The lake shares borders through the woods with a private residential "school" for juvenile psychotic criminals who are flown in from all over the country (no fences).

            When I scuba dived there several years ago...that shit was like swimming with fresh water monsters. They have no fear of humans , and the species have grown to IMMENSE proportions. Im talking Giant turtles, giant Bass (GIANT BASS) etc...

            When I worked at the police department we would continually get calls because "fisherman" would sneak through the hills and the woods to go fish there illegally. I would also get calls of teenage criminals with mental problems who had run away from the "school" next door who were trying to escape through the woods and lake vandalizing homes along the way.

            Comment


            • #7
              You have a mixed town, which is a bit of a problem, because the mundanes will regularly threaten the Veil. It may be better to have the townsfolk being mundane and the local country folk being Kinfolk, which would make it easier to keep the children home when they experience the First Change. With a population of 1,000 Human Kinfolk, I would think that you would be will likely have an average of Pure Breed 2, which means that the average Kinfolk couple will have a 5% chance of producing Garou. With those numbers, you could justify a potential Garou population of around 50 without that much trouble (though the majority of them would probably leave to area to help reinforce less fortunate Caerns across North America or end up falling to the enemies of the Garou Nation). I would think that 10-20 Garou sticking around for the Caern would be appropriate.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
                The Caern my quest is a Level 2 Caern devoted to Opossum. The Caern is located in Texas Hill Country. It was higher, but shit happens and it's level 2 now. The Caern was built by the Uktena, but it is now a Get of Fenrir Caern. The Sept is supported by a small town of Kinfolk of about two thousand - only about half are kin. The majority of the kin only know "you have werewolf relatives and your kids may become werewolves too." The Sept also supports a small pack of Wolf Kin (who have developed a taste for cattle).

                How many Garou would be at a Level 2 Caern? I have about 6 or 7 werewolves right now, organized in two packs. There were more Garou, but the Sept experienced some losses over the past couple of years. The Sept is about to get an influx of four or five cubs.
                From the books (I can look up the exact page if you need citation):
                Originally posted by Players Handbook 2nd Edition
                Rank 2
                Average Population: From 8 to 15 Garou
                Average Bawn: 200-350 acres
                Maximum Moon Bridge Distance: 2,000 miles
                Gauntlet: 4
                Advantages: Relatively little politicking; packs can acquire healthy totem spirits; may have a chance to fill a minor Sept position.
                Disadvantages: Still not much raw power; small Bawn for living space; still cramped for Lupus; few defenders if attacked.
                Other than that, you and WISDOMINCHAINS seem to have the flavor side covered.



                Comment


                • #9
                  When I was at enchanted rock there was also a bunhca porcupines for what its worth

                  And a healthy amount of rattlesnake younguns

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
                    You have a mixed town, which is a bit of a problem, because the mundanes will regularly threaten the Veil. It may be better to have the townsfolk being mundane and the local country folk being Kinfolk, which would make it easier to keep the children home when they experience the First Change. With a population of 1,000 Human Kinfolk, I would think that you would be will likely have an average of Pure Breed 2, which means that the average Kinfolk couple will have a 5% chance of producing Garou. With those numbers, you could justify a potential Garou population of around 50 without that much trouble (though the majority of them would probably leave to area to help reinforce less fortunate Caerns across North America or end up falling to the enemies of the Garou Nation). I would think that 10-20 Garou sticking around for the Caern would be appropriate.

                    I just though a town of two thousand kin was a bit much. I can turn the entire town into Kinfolk if needed, with a new non kin around. Sally may go to college and bring home a non-Kin Husband. Normal Humans can know about Garou too, if they are dependable and trusted. For example, the High School Football Couch is non-Kin yet knows enough to realize who is a werewolf. He also likes to use wolf imagery when he speaks to his players. Some of the Garou think this is disrespectful, but the Football crazy Kinfolk love it. Frankly, the Garou are surprised the coach hasn't triggered a first change incident and gotten ripped apart yet.

                    The majority of the town will have no Pure Breed. There are two families that do have high levels of Pure Breed with a few Garou/Kinfolk imports from other Septs that have minor Pure Breed. I can see Garou leaving the town for more interesting Septs. This Caern is small, it just has a great population of Kinfolk to draw from.


                    Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

                    The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by WISDOMINCHAINS View Post
                      When I was at enchanted rock there was also a bunhca porcupines for what its worth

                      And a healthy amount of rattlesnake younguns

                      I almost when with Porcupines, but I figured I'd had enough drama planned without having a bunch of romantic BS too.

                      Rattler may be a good option, but I don't like snakes.

                      I just like the idea of the sept occasionally having to go around and clean up road kill. Kinfolk being distraught they ran over a possum.


                      Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

                      The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        (At the hospital)

                        Texas cop: I just don't see how this makes sense Jimmy, lets go over this story again, from the beginning

                        Jimmy: I was on my way to go meet my roommate and girlfriend at Crying Rock for the weekend.....I was late and I didn't want my roommate scamming on my girl....I park and pay my dues for the park....When I come back my front tire is flat and theres blood on the grill of my truck. I change my tire and start wiping the mess of the front of the truck with an old Tshirt. I go into the restroom outside the visitor center...it was already getting dark.....I was real late to meet up now Bobby was probably already balls deep in my girl!...(coughs blood wheezing through a broken nose and winces in pain).....

                        Texas cop: Nurse some help here!

                        (Nurse patches up Jimmy)

                        Texas cop whispers to Nurse " has the drug screen come back yet?"

                        Nurse rolls eyes and puts her hands on her hips " Officer are you almost done here!?"

                        Texas Cop: " Thank You nurse.....".............."Continue Jimmy...you went to go wash up before meeting your girl..and then what happened.."

                        Jimmy: These huge fucking redneck dickheads....cowboys...I don't know...they looked like roided football players...One of em...the caveman looking one in the cowboy hat holds up my bloody old t shirt and smells it.....I aint gunna lie sir I pissed myself....I thought I was about to get gang raped or something.......

                        Texas cop: .......uh huh....(takes notes looking frustrated)

                        Jimmy: Caveman hick says " you missed the trashcan son...." and he tosses the bloody t shirt in my face.......next thing I know Im seeing stars and Im on the floor.....they damn near KILLED ME!!! FOR WHAT!!!! IM SO SICK OF YOU REDNECK FUCKS! (winces in pain from getting too worked up)

                        Texas cop: is that when you played dead?

                        Jimmy: I had too...those roided meth heads started talking and laughing over me....one of em says " I bet he never runs over another Possum" and then they left.

                        Texas Cop: a Possum?........................................... ..................Thanks for nothing kid......

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Funny coincidence: One of the cubs in the Quest's name is... Bobby. So Jimmy is being fucked over by the Garou more ways than one. :P

                          ((Though I don't think the Sept wildlife refuge would be open to the public. It would disturb the animals you see. ))






                          Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

                          The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
                            Funny coincidence: One of the cubs in the Quest's name is... Bobby. So Jimmy is being fucked over by the Garou more ways than one. :P

                            ((Though I don't think the Sept wildlife refuge would be open to the public. It would disturb the animals you see. ))



                            hahahaha that's awesome! Bobby set the whole thing up!

                            ** sorry forgot you were changing it to a wildlife refuge and not leaving it as a state park.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X