Fly totem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly totem?

I was going to introduce a "Fly" to be a possibility for a pack totem in an upcoming game but Im running into a creative block with how to present him/stats/bans etc..

Also is it expressly forbidden fro Ratkin to take on a totem other than Rat or Grandfather Thunder?

Well One idea is that fleas, are generally seen as an annoyance... think of making an annoyance nuisance of yourself rather then directly doing physical damage.

And I think its RARE but not forbidden.

Comment

Originally posted by WISDOMINCHAINS View Post
      I was going to introduce a "Fly" to be a possibility for a pack totem in an upcoming game but Im running into a creative block with how to present him/stats/bans etc..

Also is it expressly forbidden fro Ratkin to take on a totem other than Rat or Grandfather Thunder?
      Without too much thinking, I associate flies with irritation, fast reflexes, and consumption of rot... but a Ratkin perspective on the fly might be different. Perhaps Fly is a paranoid spirit that grows strong on the bodies of the fallen, an insectile Charon who watches over its followers even as its wriggling children devour them. When Ratkin cull the human herd, Fly is there. When Ratkin ̶f̶u̶c̶k̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶k̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶s̶e̶l̶v̶e̶s̶ make the ultimate sacrifice, Fly is there too. The totem isn't greedy- Fly knows it gets everyone in the end. I could see this as being a totem of Respect (or is it Obligation?) for the Ratkin.

As far as mechanics go, +1 Wits, +2 Alertness would fit well. If you want something interesting you could also allow those with Fly as a totem to use 'Scent of Sweet Honey,' the Bone Gnawer gift, as long as they observe the proper bans. Bans might be things like each follower of Fly has to carry around bits of spoiled meat, and once a month the pack should offer a sacrifice to Fly that is not burned or buried, but rather allowed to rot in the open.

As far as having other totems than Rat, it is your game. I do not remember such a clause existing, but if things are more interesting with varied totems, I would ignore it. Even if having Rat as a totem is the norm for Ratkin, you can always have the PC pack be the rare (if not wholly unique) exception to the rule.

Comment

dodge bonuses? +1, +2, +3 ?

Comment

Holy Shit thank you Laughing Stranger!!!!!!!

Comment

Yeah fly screams dodge bonus to me, and maybe fly encourages his children to leave rotting corpses of foes to his children, not necessarily human but hey whateves.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

On another note , do you guys know why Eagle totems ban is to sever heads? Ive always been super curious about it.

Comment

A bonus to dodge seems overly-powerful. I wanted Fly to let his children see danger coming and react quickly, but not matrix-dodge everything thrown at them. Besides, if I can smash the dang things, how dodgy can they really be? :P

Holy Shit thank you Laughing Stranger!!!!!!!
                Glad you like it!
                Last edited by The Laughing Stranger; 02-07-2017, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Dodge could be a bit powerful but that can be balanced with a ban like you need to let uneaten corpses of foes and allies alike rot and left to the flies.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

On another note , do you guys know why Eagle totems ban is to sever heads? Ive always been super curious about it.
                    I believe that eagles and hawks will decapitate slain prey animals in order to break up bodies that would otherwise be too heavy to carry away. They want their spirit children to emulate them.

Edit: Also Eldagusto, I just figured that Ratkin already have Dex that gets really high- stacking bonus totem dice on top of that seemed slightly nuts. Lowering difficulty to dodge is even more powerful and open to abuse. There might be other totems that give dodge, but I can't think of any, most give bonuses to more 'tame' traits (like Alertness or Primal-Urge).

Double Edit: I did find a totem that offers a +1 dodge bonus, the 7 pt. War Totem Weasel. It's ban is pretty stiff, those who serve Weasel cannot show fear, ever.
                    Last edited by The Laughing Stranger; 02-07-2017, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                      Dodge could be a bit powerful but that can be balanced with a ban like you need to let uneaten corpses of foes and allies alike rot and left to the flies.
                      Including packmates ?

that's so alien and dark I gotta present it like that

It makes sense now that I think about it because their nest location is a mummified hallowed out junkie that rotted where he fell and turned leathery.

Comment

Help already seems to be well underway on that front. Looking at a totem list I could only find Tsetse Fly, Butterfly and Dragonfly.

In any case, I've found one of the forumite's (made up word, but you know what I mean) compilation document to be incredibly useful. Su-tehp did some great work a while back and compiled all of the totems into one document. You might be able to use that for some help in writing up your own. His post on his Garou Gifts compilation completion can be found here (there is also a complete Fera Gift list file I think). There are links in his signature for a Google drive where you can download the doc files. Keep in mind, they might not have been updated to include the last few W20 books since I haven't seen him around here for a while. They do include the first couple though at least.

No it is not, though the totem taken should fit with Ratkin...philosophies.

Comment

Working...
                        X