Using a Nexus Crawler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a Nexus Crawler

When is it appropriate to throw a Nexus Crawler into the mix?
    Does anybody have any advice or suggestions in using a Nexus Crawlers power to warp reality?
    How did you present your Nexus Crawler visually?
    What is their purpose?
    Last edited by WISDOMINCHAINS; 02-15-2017, 04:45 PM.

Originally posted by WISDOMINCHAINS View Post
    When is it appropriate to throw a Nexus Crawler into the mix?
    When you are tired of dealing with a problem player
    A more serious answer is: when your players are at a decent enough Rank that you think they can handle it. For me, that's usually been around Rank 4-5.
    Does anybody have any advice or suggestions in using a Nexus Crawlers power to warp reality?
    Don't use the Charm to try and inflict direct damage. From memory, the system didn't handle that terribly well. It was easier to transform a floor to molten silver than to inflict direct changes on a Garou to kill them. The air can likewise be transformed. Nexus Crawlers are made to screw things up on the grand scale. Go big or go home with the Warps.
    How did you present your Nexus Crawler visually?
    I don't remember specific examples, but it changes round to round as well. So keep that in mind and channel your best horror movie visuals.
    What is their purpose?
    How do you mean?
    Thematically? or in setting, what do they do?

Comment

All of the above really. Thematiclly and in setting

Are their "alien" motivations left up to the ST?

What do they "want"?

Comment

Are their "alien" motivations left up to the ST?
        Pretty much. They don't necessarily even have loyalty to the Wyrm either. They are certainly "of the Wyrm", but I don't think it's because of any sort of motivation they have. It's just part of what they are.

OOC, I think the write up is there to give you an idea of the power level spirits can get to while still not being up to the Incarna tier power levels.

Comment

Nexus Crawlers are big problems for groups of high Rank Fera. They are just unfair to send against Mages (I made the mistake of sending one against a party of Masters, there were no survivors).

Comment

If you have a nexus crawler confronting the players and want to freak them out, have its mouths, eyes, tentacles, and less identifiable parts manifest from the characters themselves as it warps reality and folds space around itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
              If you have a nexus crawler confronting the players and want to freak them out, have its mouths, eyes, tentacles, and less identifiable parts manifest from the characters themselves as it warps reality and folds space around itself.
              Shit thats a great idea

Comment

The Nexus Crawler's powers are so vast that I find it hard to know what to do with them. So rather than keep Nexus Crawlers generic in that they can do anything, I try to give them individual names and concepts and interpret their break reality powers through that. Paradoxically, by restricting its powers to some degree, I'm able to do more with them. It gives me a focus as an ST so that I can come up with more descriptive effects and really bother the PCs. You can use a lot of horror movies and stories as inspiration. Pennywise from Stephen King's IT is my idea of what a Nexus Crawler should be like.

Of course, I've never actually played with a Nexus Crawlers as the PCs were never high enough level. The most I got was jotting down a few ideas at the beginning of the chronicle to help me prepare.

Comment

I find that Nexus Crawlers are best used in peripheral encounters. Nexus Crawlers will go after the most visibly interesting opponents first and will not necessarily go after people who are running for their lives. The Nexus Crawler appears and, if they are smart, the PCs run for hills while the Nexus Crawler plays with more interesting toys. When the PCs come back later, the area is destroyed or transformed and the mortals are mutated or dead. Your PCs might find a few gibbering survivors who were violated in hentai fashion by the Nexus Crawler but are relatively physically unharmed.
                  Last edited by Aya Tari; 02-18-2017, 02:20 PM.

Comment

I am happy for this thread. I get the impression that the Warp Reality power (though not doing direct damage), is more spectacular than going claw to claw with garou. The warp reality powers would probably stack as he does one per round. The 5 success effects would probably be enough to wipe out any pack it was fighting. Are there any good examples from players of creative uses of the powers since it seems very open ended in the main book.

Comment

Originally posted by maryshelly View Post
                      I am happy for this thread. I get the impression that the Warp Reality power (though not doing direct damage), is more spectacular than going claw to claw with garou. The warp reality powers would probably stack as he does one per round. The 5 success effects would probably be enough to wipe out any pack it was fighting.
                      Not outright. It would cause serious problems, but an instant TPK isn't one of them. Also, by RAW, it doesn't build up effects. It doesn't really have the mindset for that, I guess you'd call it. It's more akin to a tornado of pure destruction than a person.

Are there any good examples from players of creative uses of the powers since it seems very open ended in the main book.
                      Having them use it creatively is tricky, because crawlers are not exactly open to precepts of meat-brained lateral thinking.

Comment

In the Revised Corebook it flat out said that Nexus Crawlers should act in ways that don't make sense because they don't think like any other creature does, that's actually the Nexus Crawler's main weakness; it doesn't really strategize it just does stuff.

I've never actually used a Nexus Crawler but if I ever did I would have to do something completely different every round. As the assembled packs are charging towards it, the beast makes spikes erupted out of the ground, then it raises the temperature to the boiling point, then it creates geysers that disrupt the Garou's formations, then it makes acid start seeping out of its own skin to hurt anyone who attacks it that round, then it traps a big group of werewolves in blocks of ice, and so on until the battle ends.

Comment

Hello.
                          I’m running a campaign with the W20 rules, but using some of the old source books. After Rite of Passage I run Valkenburg Foundation. In the end of the story the PCs and a pack of BSD have to fight a Nexus Crawler.
                          By that time the Characters were still Rank 1 and they had no problem getting rid of the Nexus Crawler.

Probably I played wrongly the Nexus Crawler, basically it has 1 action per round. At the start I used it’s Alter Reality to damage the character, but the amount of damage dealt was ridiculous. In the end the Nexus crawler ended up attacking with regular hits. In three turns (using rage) the PCs and the BSD pack dealt 100 levels of damage to the Crawler.

How should I have played the Nexus Crawler in this set up (the one presented in the book)?

Comment

It's always funny to see the ludicrous amounts of damage a "neonate" pack can dish.

Originally posted by idpersona
                            Don't use the Charm to try and inflict direct damage. From memory, the system didn't handle that terribly well. It was easier to transform a floor to molten silver than to inflict direct changes on a Garou to kill them. The air can likewise be transformed. Nexus Crawlers are made to screw things up on the grand scale. Go big or go home with the Warps.
                            That.

Imagine if the NC had created a rain of molten silver, doing 3 or so unsoackable "burn/silver" damage each one of the 3 turns the pack needed to kill it. I think that would have changed the result. Of course, NC can't do that in an area with less than 5 successes, dif 7, and you're hardly going to get that with 6 dice.

Still, 3 or so successes should be enough to do some stuff, I imagine, like transforming air in enough balefire to create a hazard, opening a hole in the floor below a character (depending on the place, can be very lethal), turning at least part of the floor in moltern silver (1 unsoakable damage each turn?), maybe to rip a hole in the Gauntlet to a nasty umbral landscape allowing a swarm of mindless banes Banes to enter. To give some ideas. Be creative.
                            Last edited by Aleph; 07-31-2017, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X