Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't wrap my head around W:tA... help me get a clear picture?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post
    It's a pity that someone felt the need to slap 'non-canon' on it.
    LoL wut? It's published by Onyx path!

Comment

Yeah, how is Shattered Dreams non-canon?

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
        Yeah, how is Shattered Dreams non-canon?
        Because this is how it's presented on Drivethrurpg: "Rather than one answer, it showcases many time periods and many ways in which the War could start, so that players and Storytellers can make prehistory their own."

So it ends up being about as canon as the end books for the various lines (Apocalypse, Gehenna, etc.).

...which is more than a bit disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by idpersona View Post

it ends up being about as canon as the end books for the various lines (Apocalypse, Gehenna, etc.).

...which is more than a bit disappointing.
          Disagreement. I do not care for time travel as a device and I am glad they aren't something that is foisted on us. In any case, giving storytellers options without having any one choice be the expected outcome is fine with me. I liked the 'choose your own Apocalypse' take of the Time of Judgement books, and I liked elements of all of the WtA scenarios. However, I would never run any of them straight out of the box. But even if that toolkit approach leaves you lukewarm, can you imagine how many people would have been screaming when the single canon option inevitably rubbed a fair few folks the wrong way?
          Last edited by The Laughing Stranger; 02-25-2017, 11:46 AM.

Comment

I meant Shattered Dreams being non canon was disappointing. I completely understand the logic of the Apocalypse scenarios not having one canon choice.

The time travel element is odd. But that section could have gotten the non canon tag (and should have) without doing so to the whole book.

Comment

Originally posted by idpersona View Post
              I meant Shattered Dreams being non canon was disappointing. I completely understand the logic of the Apocalypse scenarios not having one canon choice.

The time travel element is odd. But that section could have gotten the non canon tag (and should have) without doing so to the whole book.
              Ah, gotcha. I don't think that approach would have hurt things one bit. I guess the parts people wish were more canonical were the War of Rage and the Mokole stuff, then? That was all fine and dandy. I just wasn't so sure about Nightmaster using wormholes in the Abyss to alter the timeline; seemed like a pretty clumsy way to insert modern existing PCs into ancient history.

Although, given the dearth of other depictions of events from the earliest history of the Fera... it seems like Shattered Dreams would be easy to default to, canon or no.

Comment

That part of the book with time traveling really turned me off

Comment

I personally hate time travel and consider it to be a lazy narrative device.

Comment

Yea, I just planned on ignoring the time travel bit and playing through past scenarios using the Ancestors concept that's already in the game. Should be good fun all around. I will just use the modern times player characters and switch a few dots of modern skills for antiquated ones and have the players play it out. It also plays into the theme of descendents following in the footsteps of their ancestors. Haven't thought the whole thing through just yet since I only started really reading through Shattered Dreams thoroughly this morning.

Comment

Working...
                    X